Wood energy: what fuel? Choose your boiler?

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
Christophe

Wood energy: what fuel? Choose your boiler?

by Christophe » 27/12/07, 10:09

I am trying to write a complete file on the wood energy: what are the type of fuel and which one to choose? How to choose the most effective way heater? Cost estimate ? What are the alternatives to wood? (Agrofuels, cereals, miscanthus ...) Etc etc ...

It should be online all 2008 start.

If you have question of ideas, reflections, and hear feedback or any short ideas about the field of wood energy and extension of biomass heatingIt is here and now to be asked the :) Goods.
0 x
Chatham
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Chatham » 27/12/07, 10:28

From the facilities that I know, the most recent systems use either of logs on boiler with bottom suction with manual supply or wood chips with automatic screw supply, either pellets also with automatic supply.
With wood chips, beware of residual moisture after reduction tree trunks into wood chips (generally carried out by a specialized truck, very common in Germany) as stuffy and dried, it can be fermented to the point fire ... Should a large volume for storage, usually an annex to the size of a box for car.
The first system based logs is really interesting with very large buffer tanks, because the heat is difficult to control: I know a facility that uses a powerful pan of 70kw + 2 tanks each 2000litres or 4000L, all for heating a former mountain inn farm re-converted into housing, big walls, but some insulation at the windows ...

For agrofuels, I personally am totally against because vegetable waste are much more useful in other areas such as fermentation or composting ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 27/12/07, 10:34

Yes, the regulation with logs is a "big" drawback of wood heating, which seems to be, in part, solved with pellets / pellets but which, as you say, can pose storage problems. It is necessary 2 times more volume for fuel to energy equivalent but above all it must be stored in a dry place near the boiler (therefore much more restrictive than the fuel).

For fermentation / gasification (if I understood correctly?) And risk of fire by against I had never heard. You'll have a page or document about it? I thought the pellets were subjected to fairly demanding standards?

Standards that are not generalized to all products I ditto for comptaisl'évoquer price regulation that is simply non-existent...

You think it'd be possible to make a small photo report of the installation you know? I count my link installed deom but it is not heavy :D
0 x
delnoram

by delnoram » 27/12/07, 11:01

Christophe wrote:For fermentation / gasification (if I understood correctly?) And risk of fire by against I had never heard of it. You'll have a page or document about it? I thought the pellets were subjected to fairly demanding standards?

He speaks mostly chips, not dry enough, that risk is also found in grain silos.
0 x
"Thinking should not it be taught in school rather than to make learning by heart the facts that are not all proven?"
"It's not because they are likely to be wrong they are right!" (Coluche)
Christophe

by Christophe » 27/12/07, 11:13

Oh not so changed into granules ... I was on the granule.

It does not prevent "heating" chips are they not subject to quality standards like pellets? Logically it should be (in case of trade obviously no recovery).

Uh elsewhere is anybody have an idea of ​​their density? I think in the case of chips must 4 5 at times the volume of fuel oil equivalent energy.
:?:
0 x
Chatham
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Chatham » 27/12/07, 11:53

Christophe wrote:
It does not prevent "heating" chips are they not subject to quality standards like pellets? Logically it should be (in case of trade obviously no recovery).

Uh elsewhere is anybody have an idea of ​​their density?

Yes, I'm talking about shavings (no sawdust!): It is a common practice in Germany (black forest) and which is also developing a little in the West of the Rhine German companies also offering their services in Alsace and Vosges : to the customer to provide the tree trunks to be treated, the guy arrives with his truck / factory equipped with a hydraulic arm and shoves the wood in the chipper which has a phenomenal output, turning a big massive trunk into chips in the blink of an eye eye as if it were a simple "coalette" ...
Of course, the volume is a result, but it's enormously cheaper than pellets that are made in their factory ... Given the volume, the need for local storage of specialized, insulated from the ground, well ventilated and risks related to the fermentation, storage must be outside of the house ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 27/12/07, 12:13

Ok I will look in more detail in this home grinding technique :) Thank you for the info !
0 x
Chatham
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Chatham » 27/12/07, 12:36

Oh, I forgot, I have lately seen a show (German) on Astra and there they also used this method directly in the forest: the shredder truck drained directly via a handle, chips in another truck for transport he explained that it was decreased handling costs ... the chips were then delivered directly to the customers ... for them to store them properly so they dry ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 27/12/07, 12:46

Yes the forest I knew the mill :) I saw one in a fair there are already 3 or 4 years. I think the model that I saw had also the possibility to make briquettes.
0 x
renaud67
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by renaud67 » 27/12/07, 13:35

I think the end customer forLe storage should not be obvious on green wood (or almost) the other day in Marseille after a little rain (yes :D ) There was a pile of chips in a horticultural center, smoking outdoors. A priori from the jean-bread method that goes easily -70 80 ° C and in addition it must be degassed not bad.
0 x
The absurdities of yesterday are the truths of today and tomorrow banalities.
(Alessandro Marandotti)