We escaped beautiful, finally, my wife especially!

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: We escaped beautiful, finally, my wife especially!

by Grelinette » 26/04/20, 12:19

I sometimes have this phenomenon of explosion in my insert but never in a very violent way fortunately, even if sometimes it is impressive, as if we threw gasoline or acetone on a flame: it makes a big wow!
It happens when we put some woods that give off a gas (eg resinous loaded with resin because cut in spring or summer, even very dry) and the air intake is not enough for combustion to be complete: it there is an accumulation of flammable gases which explode when the volume of gas is large and it encounters a flame. We immediately open the air supply to stop this reaction.
Volatile and highly flammable gases are released only with certain fuels. Maybe nutshells have the ability to give off flammable gas?
In your case there must have been special circumstances that caused a very large volume of gas to accumulate and explode at the first small flame.
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
ABC2019
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: We escaped beautiful, finally, my wife especially!

by ABC2019 » 26/04/20, 12:40

Grelinette wrote:I sometimes have this phenomenon of explosion in my insert but never in a very violent way fortunately, even if sometimes it is impressive, as if we threw gasoline or acetone on a flame: it makes a big wow!
It happens when we put some woods that give off a gas (eg resinous loaded with resin because cut in spring or summer, even very dry) and the air intake is not enough for combustion to be complete: it there is an accumulation of flammable gases which explode when the volume of gas is large and it encounters a flame. We immediately open the air supply to stop this reaction.
Volatile and highly flammable gases are released only with certain fuels. Maybe nutshells have the ability to give off flammable gas?
In your case there must have been special circumstances that caused a very large volume of gas to accumulate and explode at the first small flame.

not all heated wood emits flammable gases, that's why it makes flames!
some woods such as conifers actually have more volatile species and do more.

But by putting fuels in very divided form (nutshells, shavings, sawdust, we greatly increase the surface area to volume ratio, and therefore we have a much greater emission of gas for the same mass: if there is not of flame to burn them, these gases accumulate quickly and can lead to the explosions you have observed.
1 x
To pass for an idiot in the eyes of a fool is a gourmet pleasure. (Georges COURTELINE)

Mééé denies nui went to parties with 200 people and was not even sick moiiiiiii (Guignol des bois)