VMC: the pros and cons, advantages and disadvantages

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
Did67

by Did67 » 15/10/11, 21:34

I reassure you: build nine is ALSO a sum of compromise. Rare are those who would rebuild their home as it is!

I too have only changed the house we bought "almost finished" (divorce !!!).
0 x
dhaulagiri
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by dhaulagiri » 17/10/11, 22:34

You are quite right. For several years now, I have scribbled down from time to time the ideas that come to mind about the house I would like to have built if I had "ifs" (and pennies) in my pockets.

And I spend my time questioning choices that I thought were engraved in the marble!

Fortunately, certain certainties remain: ventilate without VMC to stretch as much as possible to live under a blue sky vault without EDF
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 18/10/11, 01:50

I live without VMC without problems!
I think that in your place with one more child I would live without VMC and without humidity in your home without trouble, as I did there is more than 20 years in a similar house !!!!

Finally the ideal solution is the house with natural perpetual heating by wasted summer solar heat stored to heat the winter as realized and functional to www.dlsd.ca
and discussed on:

https://www.econologie.com/forums/chaleur-d- ... 10828.html
https://www.econologie.com/forums/stockage-d ... 10173.html

It is fundamental to perpetual operation, without pollution, without CO2, without nuclear, without pollution of fumes, ideal for
live under a sky blue vault without EDF
in perpetuity, consuming nothing else than the solar summer heat that we are currently wasting, this gigantic energy !!!

What is appalling is the difficulty to make it understood, based on the physics of heat diffusion, not assimilated by most people, conditioned and prisoners of their habits, like Panurge sheep !!
0 x
of
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

VMC dual streams

by of » 04/06/13, 15:54

I am very surprised that you thought of living well without VMC. We visited many old houses that did not have a VMC and it felt in every sense of the word! Finally we preferred to build and installed an Aldes double flow VMC doubled with a Canadian well. The comfort is excellent and the house is almost passive; the air is constantly regenerated and the one entering winter is preheated by the Canadian well and it gets cooler in the summer. The electricity consumed by the VMC is insignificant. The house is naturally heated by large bays facing south. A heated floor by heat pump takes over in the winter to bring the few degrees missing.
I will not be too advised for any renovation a VMR for example and in nine imperatively a VMC double flow!
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 09/06/13, 16:54

Welcome of. 8)
Of course the VMC is a progress but like any innovation, it has dark sides ...
Many old houses devoid of VMC were very healthy.
Most of the time, poorly made renovations caused the most problems (insulation making the house watertight).
The same is true of the Canadian well, which can only be implemented in a compatible environment (type of terrain). A recent study showed that 60% of Canadian wells were no longer functional 2 years after their commissioning and / or represented a health hazard (flooded ducts, radon or mold release in the habitat, etc.). ).

Regarding the VMC, its power consumption is not insignificant and represents in my case (VMC Helios high quality engine with very high efficiency) between 300 and 350kWh / year is about 50 € electricity.
Monthly consumption varied from 20 to 90kWh / month. In fact, if the temperature becomes too low, an electric resistor engages to prevent icing of the exchanger.
In addition, the budget of use of the VMC must take into account, in addition to energy, the periodic replacement of the filters at least every month 4 ...
If the G4 filters are of a reasonable cost (I cut them in panels bought by the meter), it is not the same for the F7 filter ("with pollen") which costs around 80 €.
Finally, the ducts of the distribution network also clog up and require maintenance.
In principle, the pipes of my VMC semi-rigid polyethylene are antistatic and less prone to fouling. In addition they are cleanable without disassembly (if mounted correctly with sufficient radii of curvature).
Most VMC DFs are mounted with VMC Simple FLUX flexible ducts. These ducts are not cleanable and they are considered to be replaced after 5 years ...
:|
In short, a VMC, yes, but not just any, no matter how, and with a rigorous interview.
If I can one day afford a pre-conditioning by recovering the calories from the soil, I think I would then opt for a "Canadian water well" which will not require the constraints of implementation and maintenance that I I mentioned above.
: Idea:
0 x
fabio.gel
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

detect air leaks

by fabio.gel » 10/06/13, 09:18

Hello

Our house dates from 1949 (wood frame)
Insulation from the outside, attic insulation, DV window and I pass by against no need for VMC moisture remains below 45%.
Opening windows in the morning and evening 5 minutes each time and this is enough to renew the air.
However, I am careful to use only materials without or with a mini VOC.

By cons I'm looking for a method to detect where the air can enter closed window (just out of curiosity).

Fabio
0 x
I do my best to not leave trash world to my children ....
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 11/06/13, 08:48

If you do not have a VMC Double Flux, a simple VMC Flux is in principle obligatory.
Double-glazed windows must provide an air intake (10m3 / h minimum on average).
This is indispensable.
If you want to measure internal / external exchange points and thermal bridges, there are different techniques:
- Overpressure of the habitat by blower door.
- Infrared camera
- Thermo anemometers, ...

Start a search on the forum under the criteria thermography and blower. : Idea:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 11/06/13, 12:09

citro wrote:a simple VMC Flux is in principle mandatory.

I think, legally, this is not the case in recent years ... it surprised me too, maybe the info is higher in this subject ...
0 x
fabio.gel
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

VMC is not required

by fabio.gel » 23/07/13, 13:55

Bonjour Christophe

Indeed VMC is not mandatory

Aeration systems

Different ventilation modes and ventilation systems are present in existing buildings, depending on the type of building and the evolution of applicable regulations.
Renewal of indoor air can be provided, depending on the case, by leaks, ventilation grills and opening windows or by natural or controlled mechanical ventilation systems (VMC) in newer buildings .

seen on:
http://www.developpement-durable.gouv.fr/Aeration-Ventilation,12909.html

Christophe wrote:
citro wrote:a simple VMC Flux is in principle mandatory.

I think, legally, this is not the case in recent years ... it surprised me too, maybe the info is higher in this subject ...
0 x
I do my best to not leave trash world to my children ....
servenia
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by servenia » 27/11/14, 21:37

Good evening everyone,
a VMI® does not necessarily preheat the air with an electrical resistance. A VMI® is content to bring fresh air into the living rooms (bedrooms, living room), and this air will be brought into the service rooms and evacuated by overpressure (like the air that escapes from a balloon).

For me, this VMI® system has many disadvantages:

-the disadvantages of the VMC double-flux: need of air insufflation = a lot of sheaths (thus high price of gear and manpower), need of + of ventilos (thus electrical conso rising), risk of noise of insufflation in the rooms if the system is not very well designed and very well posed, risk of acoustic bridges by the sheaths between the rooms (rooms / stay, in particular), etc,

- the major disadvantage of the VMC single-stream: no recovery of calories.

The few advantages of the VMI® (possibility of fitting to a Canadian well, slightly overpressure the house) are also found in the VMC DF.

So for me, no hesitation:
- either a "light" installation is made with a VMC SF, with hygro-adjustable vents and variable fan to minimize the need for air renewal,

- Or we install a VMC hygro, which will cost 300 euros more than a VMI® and will recover 1000 or 2000 kWh of heating per year.

Simple personal opinion, of course.
0 x