VMC: alternative air inlet opening on the windows

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
popol334
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

VMC: alternative air inlet opening on the windows

by popol334 » 28/07/15, 11:31

Hello everybody

In my 5-room apartment (kitchen open to living room / SAM), I do not have a permanent ventilation system, whether natural or VMC. When I bought it, I just installed an extractor in the bathroom and another in the WC. The kitchen has a hood which extracts air to the outside.

I don't have a problem with humidity, but I realized that a VMC also serves to renew the air by removing pollutants. So I want to update my entire ventilation system.

I was thinking of putting permanent extractors in the bathroom, the WC and the kitchen because it is not possible to install a group of CMVs.

On the other hand, what poses problem, it is for the air intakes. I only have one on the SAM window (opening with grid but neither self-regulating nor water-regulating). My bedroom and the living room are devoid of it and the other 2 bedrooms have velux windows so no opening.

- for my room, I wanted to avoid putting an opening on the window because I am in front of a church and I do not want the noise to come in (that's why I chose acoustic windows, it is a bit of a shame to make holes in it!).
-> I was thinking of bringing in a 32mm diameter PVC pipe from the roof with a system (I do not yet know which one) which would allow to adjust / limit the flow (the pipe will pass through a room, which would allow heating a little air).
-> another solution: the acoustic air inlets to put the window on: but if that does not attenuate the noise enough, I will have pierced my window for nothing. Can you tell me if it really dampens the noise?

- same for the living room: church side. I can have a self-adjusting entrance installed if there is no risk of entering the church from the bedroom, it is attached: otherwise arrived in PVC conduit.

- for the other 2 bedrooms, they are VELUX without air intake. I can buy a self-adjusting air intake for one of the bedrooms but not for the other, the width of the velux window is too small.
-> either entry with PVC conduit (the attic is just above for these rooms)
-> Either I put a self-adjusting air inlet in the room for which it is possible without unscaling the door and I put a ventilation grid between the 2 rooms (adjoining) and I unscrew the door of the 2nd room in order to force the flow to pass through the 2 chambers.

What do you think of all this?
Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks for any response.
0 x
deceitful
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by deceitful » 28/08/15, 23:31

late response but the dual stream vmc seems suitable for your situation. The air intake is done at the level of the roof.
0 x
LOGIC12
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Alternative CMVs.

by LOGIC12 » 29/08/15, 05:34

Hello, I see that you have the attic above.

The roofer should have an air intake in the roof, unless it is not possible to create one in the gable.

And you get the air into a fairly large box with a filter like a hood filter. it must be as large as possible and cleaned periodically. It should be at least 0,40 m2. You can even put two successive filters, a first that you will split to filter the largest, and another after but spaced at least 5 cm
And at the exit of the box, you run a pipe in each room and in the dining room.
This air intake should be as far as possible from the door of the room.

So you would have filtered air, and less cold than if it came directly from the outside.

Another VMC Double flux solution since you have roof spaces. There are not very expensive in GSB, remains to install it. There are less than 300 euros currently.

If you have an unsealed gas boiler in the kitchen of your accommodation, see with the one who maintains you, because normally it is incompatible with VMC and extractor hood (risk of disturbing combustion) But VMC DF should less to pose problem, to inquire.

And the church bells do not ring very often, since there are no more priests ....

That said, I only have an extractor hood in the kitchen, and I use it as a point-in-time CMV, since it has a much higher flow rate.
It leaves 300 m3 per hour, or 5 m3 / min, and I also use it when I ventilate a room by opening the window, so the room is quickly emptied of its air: you have to leave the intermediate doors open to that it circulates. I also have an extractor in the bathroom. I operate it during the shower and again for half a day afterwards, especially since I have no window in this room and I have shortened the interior doors to facilitate air circulation.
0 x
popol334
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Re: VMC alternatives.

by popol334 » 29/08/15, 08:18

Hello, thanks for the replies.

In fact I do not have the place to pass conduits for the double flow.

Regarding the church, it is not the noise at the time of mass that bothers me, but the fact that it rings every quarter of an hour, night included. So at midnight, we have 1 moves for 4 4/4 hours + 1 moves !!!
0 x
LOGIC12
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by LOGIC12 » 29/08/15, 15:08

hello, to pass the double flow ducts, we can pass them through the corridor by creating a false ceiling, and distributing the air in the rooms directly, but as far as possible from the door, since there is a motor that pushes.
so solution to think about
0 x
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 20/09/15, 10:03

Do you really have so many pollutants in your apartment that good daily ventilation is not enough?
Or is it to compensate for the fact that these days we are losing the habit of airing?

Our parents even put the sheets on the window, winter and summer, and had no mite problems, for example.

Is permanent CMV really la healthy solution?
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 21/09/15, 09:21

if there is no air intake well placed or desired the air comes in or it can in the leaks it finds, and sometimes dirty or wet air comes in

the classic solution of air intake in the windows is not the best because it brings in the noise too

it is possible to drill holes in the walls where you want, including hidden behind furniture, by having the place to put a trap at his

another important thing to put on the air inlets: non-return valve so that it cannot become an outlet, otherwise the wind can make air flow by entering by one outlet and leaving by another

in windows with air intake there is normally a non-return valve, but unfortunately sometimes not very effective

only rely on the non-return valves to avoid drafts through the air intakes works only if the housing is well sealed ... otherwise you must be able to plug the air intakes when there is wind. .. automatic solution: simple vmc fan on the air inlets and small diameter pipes to let just the desired flow pass and not have too much flow increase with the wind
0 x