Unburned pellets on Okofen

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
stephlu
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Unburned pellets on Okofen

by stephlu » 18/01/20, 09:57

Hello and Happy New Year 2020 to all

I have had an Okofen boiler since 2008 and since this winter I have found myself with large volumes of unburnt materials.
To cut short all questions relating to maintenance :D : The boiler is regularly serviced. Besides, I don't know what they are doing as part of this service.

Between Christmas and New Year's Day I started cleaning the plate, the two air supply pipes and the removal of carbonaceous crust which obstructed the arrival of new pellets. It is the layer of the latter which 'led me to doubt the quality of the maintenance just before.
Restarting everything is / was nickel.

And today January 18 the subject reappears full of granules in the ash pan.

This year a probe would have been changed by the company that performs the maintenance.

On this model there are 2 automata (I think) one for the temperature of the hearth and the regulation of the pellets and the other for the regulation of the heating.
At this level I can be wrong but it is my vision.

These two separate screens indicate the temperature of the heating body but surely via 2 different sensors.
and that's where I'm coming from I have a 2 ° lag in the readings / displays

granulated controller heating body temperature> heating controller heating body temperature.

I am aware that the subject may also be linked to an air supply problem.
So another possible subject: the air supply fan which would have lost flow and which would have difficulty in fighting against the ashes which does not fail to fill, in this case, the 2 air supply nozzles.

For information, the original burner plate was replaced by the new larger plate 3 or 4 years ago.

Thank you in advance for your feedback on this type of incident.
0 x
Christophe

Re: Unburned Granules on Okofen

by Christophe » 18/01/20, 13:03

Hi and welcome here!

I don't have an okofen boiler (a lot of members have it and will certainly have other opinions) but I see 2 tracks:

a) Have you changed your pellet supplier this winter?

The quality of the granules (and their storage in the case of a boiler) is important and DIN or DIN PLUS certification is not necessarily a guarantee of quality.

Sorry but this is what I noticed that my thermoossi boiler stove: heating-insulation / improve-the-performance-of-a-stove-a-pellet-hydraulic-ecotherm-THERMOROSSI-h2o-t15659.html et heating-insulation / THERMOROSSI-h20-34-error-no-temp-resis-improve-the-burning-at-home-t15658.html

I still only put DIN pellets and some burned better than others ...

b) Also this winter is rather mild: wouldn't this come from too short heating cycles?
0 x
stephlu
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by stephlu » 19/01/20, 12:20

Bonjour Christophe
Thank you for your answer

a) Have you changed your pellet supplier this winter?

No I strictly follow the same type certified from the start where after a few setbacks the type of granules was acceptable
This is one of the weaknesses of the Okofen super mechanics; it needs super fuel.

b) Also this winter is rather mild: wouldn't this come from too short heating cycles?

The regulation part of the granules is normally there for that, right?

I will be able to understand the opposite, and again, very often need to feed in granules which would arrive too quickly ...
but then again I should rather fall back on a combustion problem.

I'm waiting to see if other econologists give me their opinion.

Thanks anyway
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 29/01/20, 18:40

Yes made for but the regulation of wood combustion remains still much less efficient than other fuels (liquid, gas ...)

In other words, you must always undersize a pellet boiler compared to its oil equivalent ...

It is better to have a wood boiler that runs as long as possible (even 24/24) than a boiler that links ON / OFF by regulation!

That is to say with the least possible ignition cycles because they are the most polluting and difficult to manage ...

My boiler stove smokes a lot at start-up ...

We had a huge subject on it a few years ago, it would even have inspired ökofen from what I was told! 8)

You can start by reading these 2 little topics: heating-insulation / boiler-OKOFEN-pelematic-principles-of-the-regulation-t12093.html et heating-insulation / tuning-curve-to-heater-boiler OKOFEN-t14236.html

Then attack the huge heavyweight subject (more than 1600 responses ...): heating-insulation / monitoring the time-of-operation-on-boiler-OKOFEN-t6424.html

Do not hesitate to use the search engine ... there are others, for example:
heating-insulation / tuning-regulator-OKOFEN-PELLEMATIC-cmp1-4-2007-t13776.html
heating-insulation / PELLEMATIC-OKOFEN-operation-regulation-white-t9459.html
0 x