Okofen tuning difficulties

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
Life
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Okofen tuning difficulties

by Life » 06/01/22, 14:57

Hello everyone and Happy New Year,

It has been several years since we bought a house in which an Okofen Pellematic was installed. We did not have any information from the former owner because he was deceased. We therefore had to learn "on the job" how this boiler worked.

Installation:
Pellematic 8-32 apparently set in 20kW
Manual loading
12 radiators (of which only 6 for the ground floor are permanently open, the others in the bedrooms are provided as back-ups in the event of very cold) + DHW system (also works in summer)
medium to low insulation, house of around 1920 in brick, double glazing, 12 cm PU roof + 5 cm wood wool

I looked at several forums describing topics related to climate control and Okofen boilers.
I am far from being an expert in the field but despite having read a lot on the subject, I still have not succeeded in properly adjusting my heating system.
This is critical for me because I think that it does not work as a climatic regulation should work, which induces a consumption of pellets which seems to me excessive (8T / year when only 6 radiators are open) and we have either too much hot, or too cold when I try to change the settings (eg described on the Elyotherm blog).
We contacted the installer again, which doesn't seem to find it working strange (but I will be relaunching it again soon).

If I follow the advice for adjusting the heating curve described on Elyotherm, it is impossible for me to find a correct configuration: when all the thermo valves are open, compensation to 0, the base of the curve set to 20 ° C and the slope at 1 (which seems to me to be the minimum of the parameters), it is always 23-24 ° C in the house while I ask for 20.5 ° C .... not talking about the night when it is also the furnace.
The room sensor indicates that it is 25 ° C, but the radiators do not stop heating

I have several hypotheses:
1) missing a 3-way valve or mounted upside down ... I do not see a 3-way valve on the system, but it seems to me that the boiler, by its operation, should have an internal one -> someone knows- there what it is: do you absolutely need an additional V3V?
2) Oversized boiler: 20kW, isn't that too much?

In short, to have comfort, we regulate by the thermo valves and I set the compensation of the Okofen system to 3 .... but I would like to calibrate the whole system correctly before putting the compensations, which I cannot do. To do.

My point is:
1) I would like to use this boiler according to climate regulation because I think that is how it should work
2) I think it will help me save pellets because for the moment I imagine that it starts and stops too often, which leads to overconsumption

Can you help me? A thousand thanks already
1 x
Pilpoill
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: Difficulties tuning Okofen

by Pilpoill » 06/01/22, 17:29

Hello,

When does this boiler date?
Does it have a Touch screen on which you have access to many parameters?

For v3v, it should -in principle- be located on top between the boiler and the inlets / outlets of your heating network. Around the heating circulator.
0 x
Life
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Life » 06/01/22, 21:29

Pilpoill wrote:Hello,

When does this boiler date?
Does it have a Touch screen on which you have access to many parameters?

For v3v, it should -in principle- be located on top between the boiler and the inlets / outlets of your heating network. Around the heating circulator.

Hello Pilpoil,

Thank you very much for your message :-)

The installation dates from 2013, there is no touch screen but a screen (non-touch) with a wheel allowing access to the various settings (see photo).

I also attach photos of the rear and the circulators (the one on the right has been replaced since the photo) .... not the slightest trace of V3V it seems to me.

Marianne
Attachments
271207278_660669235066689_5570827756157313975_n.jpg
271207278_660669235066689_5570827756157313975_n.jpg (92.39 KB) Viewed times 6415
271207084_511127296803526_6673986556651996026_n.jpg
271207084_511127296803526_6673986556651996026_n.jpg (58.63 KB) Viewed times 6415
271013090_447556726826607_5161368817327194493_n.jpg
271013090_447556726826607_5161368817327194493_n.jpg (84.58 KB) Viewed times 6415
270835251_4670722809670345_4272015485536842633_n.jpg
270835251_4670722809670345_4272015485536842633_n.jpg (129.64 KB) Viewed times 6415
0 x
Pilpoill
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Pilpoill » 07/01/22, 08:47

Hello Vita,

First thing, I have absolutely no knowledge of the old regulation :?
With the current one I could have guided you without problem for everything whereas there : Oops:

With the current one there is a minimum flow temperature (adjustable).
Is there a similar setting on the old one as that maybe the cause of your troubles.
Just like a hysteresis on the thermostat set too high if the circulator does not shut off when it is 25 ° C.

I see two circulators, are there several heating circuits?

Regarding v3v, I may have an explanation but I would like confirmation from a technical pro:

35FA34E8-E3A2-4903-827D-87A200DDB424.jpeg
0 x
Life
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Life » 08/01/22, 14:49

Hello Pilpoil,

Oh I think you underestimate yourself ;-) I'm sure you'll be able to help me.
In terms of regulation, isn't it the same thing? Just that on the old models (like mine) you have to enter the parameters manually while with the "touch" interfaces it is a graphical interface but it works the same way, right?

The starting temperature is well adjustable, but I do not have the code to go and modify this parameter. There are two levels of parameters: those from P100 to P198 for which I have a code to modify them and those of P200 and more which can only be modified with the installer code (which I do not have) ... .Rectification: which I didn't think I had but by consulting the doc, I just found the code : Lol:
I just went to see and it is at 70 ° C, factory setting (P263). Sounds okay to me, right?

I am able to modify the hysteresis however, here are all the parameters I entered:
- comfort: 20.5 ° C
- reduced: 18 ° C
- heating curve (have modified parameters since the first measurements):
- water law: 1.2
- fixed point: 25 ° C
- comfort limit: 18 ° C
- reduced limit: 2 ° C
- anticipation: 60 minutes
- compensation: 3 (also modified since first message: was at zero but it was too hot)
- set point hysteresis: 0,5 ° C
- anticipation: 120 minutes

The cycles are about 30 minutes (rather short .....)

In fact there are two circuits:
1) circuit with DHW tank + 2 radiators (odd but since one of the radiators is in the bathroom, it allows us to have a very hot bathroom even when the main circuit is cut)
2) main circuit with 10 radiators

About the V3V, yes I have indeed seen this text in the manual and suddenly that's why I said to myself that maybe there should not be an additional one installed .. ..However, I have the impression that on all forums we are talking about this V3V "outside the boiler" which seems necessary. Do you think that on older models this is indeed not necessary?

Thank you for you precious help :-)
Marianne

PS: I don't know how to reply to private messages :-)
0 x
Pilpoill
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Pilpoill » 08/01/22, 18:13

Vita wrote:Hello Pilpoil,

Oh I think you underestimate yourself ;-) I'm sure you'll be able to help me.
In terms of regulation, isn't it the same thing? Just that on the old models (like mine) you have to enter the parameters manually while with the "touch" interfaces it is a graphical interface but it works the same way, right?

Hello,

Yes it is the same except that I know all the possible settings on the Touch and I think they are more in-depth than before.
While on your regulation, I don't know the possibilities at all therefore on everything that I will say later on the principles that I know of the current Touch regulation.

The starting temperature is well adjustable, but I do not have the code to go and modify this parameter. There are two levels of parameters: those from P100 to P198 for which I have a code to modify them and those of P200 and more which can only be modified with the installer code (which I do not have) ... .Rectification: which I didn't think I had but by consulting the doc, I just found the code : Lol:
I just went to see and it is at 70 ° C, factory setting (P263). Sounds okay to me, right?

Considering the value, it is undoubtedly the maximum starting temperature and on all the installations that I have seen it is high.
Usually it is closer to 60 ° C.
If there is a minimum heating circuit flow value, it should be set at 25 ° C.

I am able to modify the hysteresis however, here are all the parameters I entered:
- comfort: 20.5 ° C
- reduced: 18 ° C
- heating curve (have modified parameters since the first measurements):
- water law: 1.2
- fixed point: 25 ° C
- comfort limit: 18 ° C
- reduced limit: 2 ° C
- anticipation: 60 minutes
- compensation: 3 (also modified since first message: was at zero but it was too hot)
- set point hysteresis: 0,5 ° C
- anticipation: 120 minutes

Comfort limit at 18, the boiler will cut the circulator if it is> = 18 ° C outside and restart it when the temperature has dropped to 17 ° C it does not matter if the internal set temperature is not reached
Limit reduced to 2 ° C, there will be no heating in reduced mode until the outside temperature is <= 2 ° C -> this value seems to me excessively low.

Compensation at 3 -> value to be set to zero for operation in pure water law BUT we forget for the discomfort that this 0 position will generate.
For a network of radiators, set to 5 if the maximum adjustment range is 10.

Hysteresis at 0,5. So circulator operating between 20,5 and 21 (or 18 to 18,5). value too low for an adjustment phase, set to 1,5 even if this causes excessive cold or heat, at least the circulator is not cut off and allows continuous operation.

Anticipation at 60, be careful this time will not be 60 min, there is a whole calculation made by the regulation and in fact the time indicated will be the maximum time for a temperature of -10 ° C! I recommend at least 120

The cycles are about 30 minutes (rather short .....)

The minimum tolerable according to Okofen is 20, with 30 they will tell you that it is very good ...
No miracle to be expected on this side, especially if the boiler is oversized.

In fact there are two circuits:
1) circuit with DHW tank + 2 radiators (odd but since one of the radiators is in the bathroom, it allows us to have a very hot bathroom even when the main circuit is cut)
2) main circuit with 10 radiators

About the V3V, yes I have indeed seen this text in the manual and suddenly that's why I said to myself that maybe there should not be an additional one installed .. ..However, I have the impression that on all forums we are talking about this V3V "outside the boiler" which seems necessary. Do you think that on older models this is indeed not necessary?

Thank you for you precious help :-)
Marianne

The reply button for private messages is surprisingly located above the message and not at the end :)

I think I have already roughed it up according to the information I have, to follow 8)
0 x
Life
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Life » 13/01/22, 20:36

Hello Pilpoil,

Thank you for all the info. I'm a little busy with work at the moment and I haven't had much time to look into these settings.
On the other hand I did not see where I can modify the starting temperature, so not sure that it is configurable.
For the others I will test soon and put the results here.
See you soon
0 x
Pilpoill
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Pilpoill » 14/01/22, 10:27

Hello Vita,

For the parameter that you found at 70 ° C, after some research (and this is where I found it difficult to see that it is the old regulation) you should not change it because it has nothing to see with the radiators leaving temperature.
This is the setpoint that the internal tank of the boiler must try to maintain.

If @ Did67 goes through this, he must have all the knowledge that I do not have on this regulation 8)
0 x
Life
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Life » 16/01/22, 15:42

Oh damn I changed and put it at 65°C....I'm going to go put it back at 70°C.

We have an appointment with an installer who will do maintenance and adjustments on February 14 (only!)....
1 x

Back to "Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ..."