Can I do without heating?

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
gisier
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by gisier » 06/07/10, 10:06

merci pour vos réponses.

But to the question "with what wood do I heat myself?" in other words, gas or elec (less investment), I have no answer I will maybe try the thermal study, do you have an idea of ​​its cost?

Small technical question, is it possible to set up a Canadian well without cellar, I think of the condensates and the slope, because if it is buried at 1m how to foresee a slope of 50% towards the house which is on solid ground?

Thank you
0 x
aerialcastor
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by aerialcastor » 06/07/10, 13:56

It is precisely the thermal study that will determine the most suitable heating system.
If the needs are low it does not make sense to install a central water heater.

For the PC without cellar it does not pose any problem it is enough to make a well lost before the entry of the house.
0 x
Save a tree, eat a beaver.
It is no use to succeed in life, what it takes is to miss his death.
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 06/07/10, 15:27

To answer you, any means of heating is good, wood is the cheapest, with more constraints especially since the price is low, other electricity and gas will see their price increase like fuel in the future, and granulated pellets will also follow.
Electricity has a very inexpensive equipment, 2KW for less than 15 € with blast radiator with thermostat, which is not sometimes found on much more expensive devices, claimed better according to some, statement that I consider false !!
With your insulation a radiator of this type per room and room is more than enough, especially as cheap relief.
In my second home 2 times less insulated than yours (10cm and no double flow VMC), starting from a very cold house (5 ° C inside), I use it when I arrive, to have air warm (but cold walls) until the chimney starts by sending intense hot air (half an hour to an hour).
My fireplace gives heating power with wood which heats my cold house in one night much faster than the electricity limited in power to 9KW (subscription if not excessive) which has not yet heated the house in a weekend, and I would leave losing this energy, with a warm house only after my departure !!.

You with a well designed Canadian well, double flow VMC, your much better insulated house, will start around 12 to 15 ° C and therefore these modes of wood heating and emergency electricity, like for me, will work for sure, requiring much less power, for you !!

I recommend this dual energy, with fireplace and insert, because in case of power cut you will keep a heater (storm, rare, problem). Without electricity, you no longer have heating, even with the gas that still requires electricity today.
On the contrary you can heat yourself, even if the restoration of the current requires 2 weeks, as for me, at the end of 1999, with the power line on land with above 800m of trees felled for access to my secondary house (then with these trees , I had wood available much more than I burned in 10 years, in addition a tree had felled the electric pole in cement close to my home, blocking all access).

It is absurd to build without emergency heating not dependent on electricity, a fireplace is crucial !!

What is the Canadian well for?
Cool off in summer by heat wave, so its size does not need to be large, especially in the north, a cellar is enough.
On the contrary, starting from 0 ° C, or even less, in winter, to have a heated air which reaches 12 ° C all winter and avoid that if undersized, the well cools down quickly and the air no longer arrives that at 3 ° C, in December or January, February, it must be given a serious size, corresponding to the volume of earth which will conserve and provide the necessary heat, for the whole winter !!
In my opinion it takes at least 300m3 of soil traversed by pipes, air or glycol exchange liquid. The calculation must be done according to the earth, its humidity, and the cooling accepted for this earth in winter, from 15 ° C to 10 ° C or less, and also if we use solar heating in winter (the best solution ) and even better with storage in summer in the Canadian well.
I have the impression that many Canadian wells are undersized, useful as an anti-cainicule, but not for winter, especially in the north.
If undersized, in the middle of winter, the air does not arrive at 15 ° C, but at 5 or 6 ° C, or even less, the earth being well cooled by the cold outside air already passed before at 0 ° C !! Exactly like in my cellar which serves as a rudimentary Canadian well!

0 x
gisier
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by gisier » 06/07/10, 17:09

Thanks for the answers.
For the fireplace, I thought more of a pellet stove but I am afraid of overheating with such insulation and the absence of inertia in the house. (it's also quite noisy)
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 06/07/10, 20:38

Pellet stoves have in principle a thermal regulation, which should avoid overheating, better than a wood insert, which can have a regulation on the flow of hot air in circulation, they are not all the same, to see depending on the price, and the thermal inertia increases with tiles with cement screed.

In general, pellet stoves heat only one room unlike the insert with air circulation, which could be coupled with the vmc double flow, which will provide thermal regulation with its exchanger and the distribution of hot air ?? ??

Pellets have the disadvantage of making the customer quite captive and their price follows that of other energy sources, being a little cheaper. See on econology the forums on pellets, granules and their prices.

The ideal would be the pellet stove with air circulation and which burns all the crushed plants. and I almost want to tamper with a pellet stove to make it burn a little of all the crushed and very dry plants in the sun and see the problems.
0 x
oiseautempete
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by oiseautempete » 07/07/10, 09:11

dedeleco wrote:Electricity has a very inexpensive equipment, 2KW for less than 15 € with blast radiator with thermostat, which is not sometimes found on much more expensive devices, claimed better according to some, statement that I consider false !!

My chimney gives a heating power with wood which heats my cold house in one night much faster than the electricity limited in power to 9KW (subscription if not excessive)
I have the impression that many Canadian wells are undersized, useful as an anti-cainicule, but not for winter, especially in the north.
If undersized, in the middle of winter, the air does not arrive at 15 ° C, but at 5 or 6 ° C, or even less, the earth being well cooled by the cold outside air already passed before at 0 ° C !! Exactly like in my cellar which serves as a rudimentary Canadian well!

Fan heaters should be avoided: noisy, stirring up dust, and poor performance (the consumption of the blower). The ideal is radiant panels (homogeneous heat, rapid heating, good performance), not necessarily expensive (the French brand Sauter makes excellent products at very reasonable prices, besides mine are, and I bought them at CAMIF by "minitel" ~ 18 years ago ...).
At home, at night, the electric heating is on standby at 15 ° C ... overheating excessively at night is pure and simple waste ... But letting it fall by the way that 15 ° leads to a great overconsumption to raise the t ° ...
With a radiant heater (oversized in this precise case to favor the speed of heating), for example the cold bathroom is warmed up, without noise, to 20 ° in ~ 15 minutes ... and can possibly be programmed to be hot when we need it...
The advantage of electricity is its extreme flexibility and the very low initial investment ... But correct insulation is required, in which case the cost cancels does not exceed that of gas / oil heating, especially if you also includes the boiler and chimney maintenance contract (theoretically compulsory ...)
To be effective, a Canadian well must have very large dimensions and be buried very deep (minimum 2m in our regions) ... a simple cellar, even deeply buried, unless it is very large, is not very effective because the exchange surfaces are very small ... obviously if you have the Maginot line which arrives under your garden, with its 20 to 30m depth, it is ideal ... : Lol:
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 08/07/10, 02:21

Totally agree on the Canadian well which must have the right dimensions for the winter.

Fan heaters should be avoided: noisy, stirring up dust, and poor performance (consumption of the fan).

The energy of the blower (1% max for 2KW of heating) is found in heating in the winding of the fan and in the stirring of the air, which finally heats the air of the room by immobilizing and the overall performance is 100% perfect!
I am frightened of the errors of basic physics which one finds on the electric heating a little everywhere !!!!

Unless you have a very high level of dust in the room, the fan does not stir up any dust except at start-up after several months the dust fallen into the heating which comes out burnt for a few minutes, but without a fan, you have the same smell of burned for hours !!
By keeping the heating in the shelter well protected from dust, this is avoided.

Finally, noise is a function of the fan and is often lower than that of air conditioning or a VMC, single or double flow!

Finally, heating is a matter of taste and habits.
Heating reduces the night with the room to 15 ° C is unbearable to me, because at night my metabolism is very reduced and I am much colder at night while sleeping than during the day while stirring and therefore for me it is a nonsense to reduce heating at night.
When we are not there, yes, if the inertia of the house is low, (one hour) otherwise we do not gain anything to reduce when we are absent during the day, because we spend more on warming up than on maintaining, in my house with high inertia (2 days) !!
Otherwise the large radiant panels bought by my very expensive predecessor are destroyed at the slightest spider which makes a short circuit and I gave up changing the resistors (500 € to recreate them at the next spider !!) and I do not see the interest of large panels that take up a lot of space?

Otherwise the emergency electric heating could be put with the exchanger of the VMC double flow which has a fan which makes a little noise, depending on its mounting.
The insert fan with hot air circulator also makes noise depending on the quality of its mounting, it could be coupled with the dual-flow VMC, by regulating the temperature of the rooms.
0 x
oiseautempete
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by oiseautempete » 08/07/10, 07:57

dedeleco wrote:Unless you have a very high level of dust in the room, the fan does not stir up any dust except at start-up after several months the dust fallen into the heating which comes out burnt for a few minutes, but without a fan, you have the same smell of burned for hours !!

Finally, noise is a function of the fan and is often lower than that of air conditioning or a VMC, single or double flow!

Finally, heating is a matter of taste and habits.
Heating reduces the night with the room to 15 ° C is unbearable to me, because at night my metabolism is very reduced and I am much colder at night while sleeping than during the day while stirring and therefore for me it is a nonsense to reduce heating at night.
When we are not there, yes, if the inertia of the house is low, (one hour) otherwise we do not gain anything to reduce when we are absent during the day, because we spend more on warming up than on maintaining, in my house with high inertia (2 days) !!
Otherwise the large radiant panels bought by my very expensive predecessor are destroyed at the slightest spider which makes a short circuit and I gave up changing the resistors (500 € to recreate them at the next spider !!) and I do not see the interest of large panels that take up a lot of space?

Your "radiant panels" are obviously not real radiators (according to your description they are simple convectors) because a radiant panel is a smooth plate = no visible resistance, no burning odors, no dust .
Very low inertia because interior insulation, therefore very quick to heat.
As for noise: I prefer no noise at all (my VMC is very discreet), except that of small birds ...
15 ° C at night never bothered me (I even find that it's too hot to sleep well!) Since I sleep with the window open as long as the temperatures are positive and there is never any heating in the room. room ..., my wife, however, as cautious as the majority of women, does not complain either because she has a large radiator by her side (me, body mass twice hers) and we sleep with an accessory that is 'calls for a duvet which makes a very cozy "nest", the mattress (winter side in wool) being "preheated" with a heater when it is really very cold ... when I was a child, never heating in the room , and there was sometimes ice on the inside of the windows in the heart of winter ... but never cold thanks to a good big "plumon" 20cm thick and a pure wool mattress ... with the heating, naked in the bed with just a sheet often without the slightest ventilation (everyone does not have VMC) it is a very bad habit (weakens the a health) and very expensive ... the drop in metabolism while sleeping is quite normal, you just need to compensate for it with blankets ... : Lol:
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 08/07/10, 13:58

amusing:
storm bird writes:
15 ° C the night never bothered me (I even think it's too hot to sleep well!) Since I sleep with the window open as long as the temperatures are positive and there is never heating in the bedroom ..., my wife, however, as cautious as the majority of women, does not complain about it either because she has a large radiator by her side (me, body mass double that of hers)

My wife would not be able, even less than me, to spend the night with air at 15 ° C and lower, to breathe, with the window open and to sleep the window open with the radiator which heats amounts to putting the heating almost outside and to waste energy and it is very expensive !!

We are not all the same, and some seem to have a much higher metabolism than others, always being too hot !!

At this moment, the storm must be bubbling with the heat wave and put in a fridge, with its high metabolism !!
I feel good, even pedaling in hot sun on a steep hill, as long as the temperature does not reach 36 ° C, limit where the wind on a bike, warms you instead of cooling you down, a sign of real heatwave for me !!
However, I am very careful to drink a lot more water !!

In France, we never have, like in the US, and very hot countries (India and tropical), 38 ° C (100 ° F) with 100% humidity, because sweat does not cool, does not evaporate, accumulates on all clothes, and then it is untenable for anyone !!!
0 x
oiseautempete
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by oiseautempete » 08/07/10, 18:38

dedeleco wrote:At this moment, the storm must be bubbling with the heat wave and put in a fridge, with its high metabolism !!
I feel good, even pedaling in hot sun on a steep hill, as long as the temperature does not reach 36 ° C, limit where the wind on a bike, warms you instead of cooling you down, a sign of real heatwave for me !!
However, I am very careful to drink a lot more water !!

In France, we never have, like in the US, and very hot countries (India and tropical), 38 ° C (100 ° F) with 100% humidity, because sweat does not cool, does not evaporate, accumulates on all clothes, and then it is untenable for anyone !!!

I do not really like hot weather and never go on vacation in the south: I already heat enough in my workshop, by 36 ° C today, with a combination of mechanic : Lol:
When in tropical countries, I know: a few months in the Pacific Islands (for professional reasons), it is quite untenable with 100% humidity ... Polynesians who must have been "used" did absolutely nothing in these conditions being all "fiu" ... we assholes of metropolitan technicians we worked in a metal shed which had to rise to 50 ° while drinking every quarter of an hour ... y : Mrgreen:
In comparison, a construction site in Djibouti (very dry) went like a letter to the post ... : Lol:

For the resistance to the cold, there is no secret: you have to toughen up and it is not possible if you over-protect yourself ... (my wife spent her youth at an altitude of 900m in the Vosges, this who hardened it) ...: a colleague from central Africa thought he was going to die when he landed with us in the middle of direct winter from 35 ° to -10, now the cold doesn't bother him more than that...
0 x