Norwegian wood stove Godin split - dangerous?

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 21/03/11, 13:46

From what I could find on the net, it seems that the gasket of the glass is not waterproof and this overheats the stove to make it "red", which promotes cracks in the cast iron!

Here is a comment from an owner of this stove:

How to start?
I have a Norman house with exposed stone on the outside and inside, so super cool for the eyes, but much less cool for the heating.
Arrived in this house 10 years ago, I bothered to put the gas central heating (in cistern, I am in the countryside). But voila, it heats up well, for hot water, there is no better for my taste (it concomme nothing) but for the central heating with the soaring gas, the bill now reaches 2500 € !!!! and there I said Stop.
So I invested in a GODIN "Norwegian" type wood stove, 11 KW.
It's happiness !!!! there is no other word, I went from 2500 € to live at 16 ° or 17 ° to freeze them, to 20 to 25 ° limit by opening the windows and this, in all the rooms (I specify, no money ground and 1 attic storey 6m high).

The consumption, I did not have sufficient hindsight, but since the beginning of last March 2005, my boiler is in the "summer" position and the needle of my tank is very calm and almost at a standstill.
4 Stere of wood at 40 € is correct, Good for next year I expect 20 Sterres at 40 € so 800 €, more than correct for a house of 350 m3 and far from 2500 €.
In addition I have an advantage, I have a wood just in front of my house, and I have just married one of the multi-owners of this small wood, and I have decent quality wood to vonlonter for 10 € the sterre by cutting a little on weekends, cool isn't it? I heat myself twice, say on, I confirm and then the outdoors, me .... finally I chose the countryside so that's what, the happiness !!!

In short, all inclusive stove plus installation (the chimney flue was existing, so just the casing, Total € 2300 including tax with a tax credit of € 500 so € 1800. With € 2500 less gas and € 800 of wood, I calculate ..... 1800 + 800 = 2600 the first year then 800 the following years (well 200 for me, but I am varnished and especially very in love, (sisi, I swear to you).
Conclusion:
GODIN, very well
Correct price
The HIC, and yes there are a few:

1) the installer and reseller GODIN (I'm on EVREUX, not the right to name) is bordering on crook but I knew it before so I wasn't complaining, but I wanted a godin
2) the self-cleaning glass:
So, you should know that above the glass, they have deliberately omitted to put a refractory gasket to promote an air flow which prevents blackening the glass.
It works not too badly and again, but BE CAREFUL, the draft is terrible, I made my stove redden (big fear) it heats up terrible but not for long because it eats a lot of wood and the fire does not hold !!! not to mention the noise of the draw !!!

I therefore dismantled the glass (very easy) and indeed, there is a place for a refractory seal. So I bought a special seal + special glue and glue all this to everyone's door, and since my flames lick the wood, it lasts 8 to 10 hours with quality wood, the thermostat works very well: I charge in the morning and evening before going to bed.
The sweetness of the past is rediscovered, believe me, it's pure happiness. the constraint of loading wood? not for me, once again I chose the companion, the true one and for nothing in the world I would not change !!!

3) the dust, yes there is more, but madam do not complain, the savings are there, and especially the heat is there, but you will have the problem on all the stoves.
By cons the "Norwegian" is practical on this side, because there is a load on the side, which avoids smoking and especially dust !!!!.
Here is my testimony

one last little thing, the fire: BE CAREFUL, the pipes between the stove and the casing have not been fixed to the wall, so

http://www.ciao.fr/Godin_362101SB__Avis_955859
0 x
Stepping behind sometimes can strengthen friendship.
Criticism is good if added to some compliments.
Alain
Lietseu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Lietseu » 21/03/11, 21:20

Anecdote, which goes in the direction of the preceding post ...

I bought a second hand charcoal stove for my son and found that the cast iron grate had been damaged ...

I therefore found a replacement grill and started looking for a gasket, because after testing the stove, it was pulling abnormally with all openings closed, 15kg of coal "puffed" in one night !!!

I am convinced that this will be the solution, I still have to go sand the stove and glue the joint, I will keep you posted ...

Meow :P
0 x
By removing Human Nature, he was far from his nature! Lietseu
"The power of love, must be stronger than the love of power" contemporary Lie Tzu?
One sees clearly only with the heart, the essential is invisible to the eyes ...
bidouille23
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by bidouille23 » 22/03/11, 09:44

Slut,

a little remark, or two;):

the cast iron heats up trankil and not abruptly otherwise it spells, the same for cooling, it may be necessary to recall it. So no starting at high heat it promotes breakage, let the beast rise in temperature trankly and after opening the 'air;).

Otherwise the arc welding for the cast iron yes, but especially not by bead, otherwise it breaks. We point and tap without knocking on the welding points. And have made lots of points by balancing it to homogenize the internal tension that we create.

Otherwise, I would do as Alain said, I would call Godin first, it is not normal 2 years except in case of misuse;), I have seen a lot of them light their stove with everything to get there quickly have embers and a feeling of heat.

Otherwise the straw in the cast iron is quite possible too but for that to pette it is necessary either a physical shock or a too sudden expansion which is a thermal shock.

see you and I hope that everything will work out as well as possible
0 x