Servo shutter for solar input in cold season

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
Zebonlu
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Servo shutter for solar input in cold season

by Zebonlu » 30/08/10, 10:09

Hello everybody

Well i hope i'm in the right forum :

I have a south-facing single-storey house equipped with radio-controlled electric shutters.
I wonder if it might be worth having a solar collector https://www.econologie.info/share/partag ... zrav6i.pdf
which in the cold season triggers the opening of the shutters when the sun sets or closes them when the weather is bad. The goal is to save heating thanks to the contribution of the sun.
Are there any who have already adopted this kind of solution? Do you think it can be worth it? In short, I am interested in your opinions.
Thank you in advance.

Here are some technical data:
- House at an altitude of 500m in the Rhone Alpes region (Isère)
- 2 bedrooms facing south with each 1 window of 1.44m2
- 1 large living room with 2 bay windows to the south (2.88m2 and 4m2) + 1 bay to the west (4m2).
- Oil central heating
The roof has a projection (sort of cap to protect from solar radiation in summer => should not be annoying when the sun is lower on the horizon: winter by exple)

Cost of a sensor adapted to the brand of the shutter: I hope to get by in equipment (sensor + 1 remote control) for less than 250euros. :?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/08/10, 10:21

Of course it will be worth it, unless you have simple glazing with lots of openings ... but I doubt it : Cheesy:

But generally roller shutter solar collectors are "made" to prevent overheating in summer. You just have to check that you can use it in winter mode ... I think so but to check all the same ... the doc that you indicate does not say if it is possible.

Summer mode = closed if sun AND T °> X ° C
Winter mode = open if sun AND T ° <Y ° C

Ideally you should be able to configure X and Y ... well, especially Y.

Otherwise more simply with a switch which reverses the 2 modes we would have:

Summer mode = closed if (too much) sun
Winter mode = open if (enough) sun

But in this case should be able to adjust the sensitivity for more efficiency, which is possible on the nice.

ps: if winter mode does not exist you can imagine using a changeover relay, but in radio mode it may be difficult to do.
0 x
Zebonlu
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Zebonlu » 30/08/10, 10:41

Bonjour Christophe
Thank you for your answer.
I do have double glazed windows.

On the solar sensor to which I had linked the doc, The solar sensor ONLY takes into account the exterior brightness, on the other hand the threshold (number of lux) for sending commands is adjustable. Unfortunately, it does not take into account the outside temperature. So if it's -5 degrees with the sun, I don't know if the solar gain catches up with the loss of calories through the windows.

The company nice also has another type of sensor but which is installed inside the house https://www.econologie.info/share/partag ... crTmUg.pdf

From what I understood, lt is sensitive to sunlight and to the INSIDE temperature of the accommodation.

In short I do not see an ideal solution with this brand that I have to use to be compatible with the control logic of my shutters.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/08/10, 10:50

Uh, what if you put the indoor sensor on the outside? : Idea:

Ah well no there is a winter mode in the 2nd sensor:

It is possible to program the temperature
desired in a room by exploiting the brightness
and heat produced by solar radiation.
For example, in winter mode, if the temperature drops
below the programmed threshold and there is sunlight,
the sensor automatically raises the roller shutters
or blinds allowing light to enter
to heat the room and vice versa

So your problem is solved!
0 x
Zebonlu
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Zebonlu » 30/08/10, 13:11

Christophe,
There is something that escapes me in this second sensor ( https://www.econologie.com/fichiers/partager2/1283158287crTmUg.pdf),
You don't have the impression that you have to leave the shutter open so that the solar collector, located inside retrieves the sunshine information "??

In this case, it's not terrible if not even cold and overcast weather I have to leave the shutter open ....

Or as you said, put the sensor outside, but I have the impression that this sensor is not really intended for the outside.

It seems surprising to me not to find something on the market that meets this simple need (benefit from solar gain by "playing" on the shutters).

In any case, it's nice to discuss this subject !!
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 30/08/10, 13:41

I think you can DIY something easy for less than 30euros based on two modules that can be found everywhere, especially in the excellent econology store:
a relay thermostat module
a relay twilight switch module
both have adjustable thresholds.
you create an AND between the two by putting the contacts of the 2 relays in series and therefore:
IF the brightness is> X value AND if the temperature> Y value then the two relays actuate the existing shutter opening switch.
Last edited by dirk pitt the 30 / 08 / 10, 13: 59, 1 edited once.
0 x
Click my signature
Zebonlu
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Zebonlu » 30/08/10, 13:48

Interesting indeed.
Where this becomes more complex is that I then have to send the signal to the shutters which are radio controlled and I should then be compatible with the protocol used: 52 Bit Rolling Code. I imagine that unfortunately it is not really standard for security reasons ....
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/08/10, 13:50

Zebonlu wrote:You don't have the impression that you have to leave the shutter open so that the solar collector, located inside retrieves the sunshine information "??

Ah yes I thought it worked in connection with the 1st sensor that you mentioned ... indeed if it works "alone" I do not see how it could detect the sun inside closed shutters ....
:?: : Idea:

Zebonlu wrote:Interesting indeed.
Where this becomes more complex is that I then have to send the signal to the shutters which are radio controlled and I should then be compatible with the protocol used: 52 Bit Rolling Code. I imagine that unfortunately it is not really standard for security reasons ....

With wire, the idea of ​​Dirk is good but in radio, indeed it may be more delicate ...
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 30/08/10, 14:03

it would surprise me that you only have remote control piloting. in general, there are always two inputs provided for open / close pushbuttons.
0 x

Click my signature
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/08/10, 14:05

No dirk, we have 3 roller shutters 100% remote controls (somfy).

There is surely a "rescue / forcing" but must open the box.
And hybridization is not planned (I had asked the installer).
0 x