Resistance to humidity of a textile pellet silo?

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
dragonnou
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Resistance to humidity of a textile pellet silo?

by dragonnou » 20/07/11, 12:04

Hello,
could you tell me how the granules react if they are placed in a kitgeobox silo which is going to be in a garage or the water seeps through the roof because no waterproofing and the water trickles on one of the sides because flank of Mountain.
the installer told us that by providing a roof inside the garage above the silo and ventilation in the rubble stones would be enough and that the humidity had no impact but I have a big doubt that my silo does not resist this humidity .... thank you for your advice and experiences :?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 20/07/11, 12:11

What is this nutty advice? The best would be to fill the leak (at the "source" if I may say so), because liquid water in a house is never good!

a) If liquid water gets on the granules they will be ruined!
b) How humid is your garage air?

Use a type hygrometer to find out: https://www.econologie.com/shop/thermome ... p-135.html

I do not know from what% RH it is not recommended to store pellets, but ladle I would say that above 65-70% ... it does not smell good at all!

There are several members who use pellets which will refine my answer.

You can also read this article: https://www.econologie.com/sechage-du-bo ... -4307.html
and this subject: https://www.econologie.com/forums/sechage-du ... 10065.html
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 20/07/11, 14:11

In winter, in the cold, wood and pellets very quickly recharge moisture in a humid atmosphere !!
Inevitable !!

Otherwise drain the water coming from the mountain and seal the roof outside, not inside, because then the air will be very humid, with the water flowing next to it !!

If possible slowly pass a warm air (20 ° C) from the boiler over the wood or the pellets to keep them dry, as well as in summer.
!!

For wood and pellets, a few weeks warm, close to the stove, before burning it, dries it strongly and greatly improves the combustion efficiency !!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 20/07/11, 14:28

dedeleco wrote:For wood and pellets, a few weeks warm, close to the stove, before burning it, dries it strongly and greatly improves the combustion efficiency !!

Absolutely!

Very valid for compressed logs and wood logs which can drop below 5% humidity (see table of 2 link on drying above)!

But for "wet" pellets I am afraid that their compactness in the storage container will make this insufficient ... am I wrong?
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 20/07/11, 15:36

It is enough to ventilate them in the sun in summer (as currently, a few hours) on a large surface in thin layer, then to store them in dry air (lukewarm circulating slowly).
or ventilate them for a few days in an intermediate container where warm air circulates well with an agitator and an air circulator.

At 40 ° C, air coming from the boiler, it takes less than a day to dry very well, as for laundry, and the humid air, if recondensed in the house, makes all the heat expended to dry (very energy efficient (but no one does) !!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 20/07/11, 16:03

In this case obviously but who will have fun drying their pellets as well? : Shock: : Cheesy:
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 20/07/11, 16:05

So we all have a hair in our hands !!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 20/07/11, 16:18

What? It's natural isn't it?

Don't you know the theory of minimal energy found everywhere in nature?

: Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:
0 x