Replace the round window of a wood stove

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
plasmanu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Replace the round window of a wood stove

by plasmanu » 30/11/15, 19:09

Tutorial: Replace the curved glass of a wood stove

It's almost Christmas.

My father broke the curved glass of my beautiful jotul.
I hesitate to use his insurance.
I was not there, so he did not take the removable cold handle, and leveraged with a wrench : Shock:
result, the glass and the handle broken.
A model bought on ebay, unknown in France, in short: only happiness.
And the original curved glass at the dealership is too expensive.
On the net you can order at odds: like at www.TEMPRIX.fr

The site offers to make a personalized quote, but I found an ad at 100 € per window indicated for half the price of new. Or 200 €.

It is possible to weld a frame in the curvature of the door to put a flat glass, but it loses its charm.

And worse: weld a sheet in place of the glass. NO BUT !!!! It's too ugly.
0 x
"Not to see Evil, not to hear Evil, not to speak Evil" 3 little monkeys Mizaru
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 30/11/15, 20:19

My two centimes of roros (I'm back ^^) First you have photos, odds?

1) you take advantage of this hitch of course to make an upgrade, like you install a mass stove (very easy to succeed for you and really cheap, only refractory brick and you already have the chimney!) Advantage, you will divide your consumption of wood by two or three ... And the chore of wood will be reduced by the same amount.

2) Jøtul is Norwegian? So even on the bay in Norway, maybe you will find your room there more easily than here?

3) And if it is a question of aesthetics I was : Mrgreen: but a "straight" window should be easier to find than a bombastic there are some leaks, it increases the draft (and the adjustable wrench is fine? ok, I -> get out)

4) Suggested links:
http://www.vitre-insert-cheminee.fr/det ... tree_/1007
With video to know how to take the measurements (click on "curved"):
http://www.vitreflam.ch/module/estimate/estimate
Click in the list, there are the suggested dimensions:
http://www.verre-insert.fr/web/produit- ... nd-27.html
5) Chatelot, Did67 etc, where are you?
0 x
plasmanu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by plasmanu » 30/11/15, 20:38

I thought about the mass stove.
The house at 300 years old.
I can't build on the stove.
And as I have this problem of glass, I paid myself Tuesday a new stove with the broken glass for 90 €.
The dealer asks for a new one: between € 2600 and € 4300 excluding tax for the new stove installed.
https://www.fonte-flamme.com/detail-poe ... V-N-ANM|fr

And then another new one at 90 €, I don't know its price, it's Danish:
http://www.scan-line.fr/heta/scan-line- ... re-ollaire

It is the largest and most powerful with the additional options, a soapstone is broken and the glass.

I want to retype one for the dear month, it is to offer at Christmas.
My best friend (single) has a 20 year old stove, overwelded, pierced, which does not smoke and heat, which he had had for a bottle of whiskey.
0 x
hic
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by hic » 30/11/15, 21:14

plasmanu wrote:Tutorial: Replace the curved glass of a wood stove

It's almost Christmas.

My father broke the curved glass of my beautiful jotul.
I hesitate to use his insurance.
I was not there, so he did not take the removable cold handle, and leveraged with a wrench : Shock:
result, the glass and the handle broken.
A model bought on ebay, unknown in France, in short: only happiness.
And the original curved glass at the dealership is too expensive.]

Hi plasmanu

Alternative!

Silicon sheet - Translucent with Screwed stuck - glued
less than a €, (provided you find a small area).

or replace the glass with shaped scrap metal.
0 x
"Let food be thy medicine and thy medicine be thy food" Hippocrates
"Everything has a price has no value" Nietzche
Torture for Dummies
Forbid to express the idea that the field is acceleration (magnetic and gravitational)
And you get your patent mental torture option executioner successfully
plasmanu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by plasmanu » 30/11/15, 21:36

205 or 220 from silicone. It's not playable.
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 30/11/15, 21:53

For the stove which "does not heat up", it is often not the stove which is involved but the dimensioning of the installation in relation to the volume to be heated. For it to fire well everything must go together: diameter of the chimney, then a good draft "at full throttle" (or more precisely a good output thanks to a good oxygenation!), Adapted size of the hearth (we can reduce its size by putting a few refractory bricks, but it is better to have a good dimension, because otherwise we have the chore of splitting the wood to make it enter the hearth ...), so I imagine that for a good sizing the spec in kW must be neither too large nor too small in relation to the volume (otherwise in one case we will not be able to heat enough and in the other it will not be able to work at the optimum and it will either push back or draw badly ?), so that it doesn't run too low but "to the power that goes well"...) we were talking about it here >>>
0 x
plasmanu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by plasmanu » 01/12/15, 06:34

Glass ceramic is a very high quality brand product which is produced in the same standards for industrial customers, for chimney manufacturers as well as for any other consumer. Only high quality glass, manufactured and tested according to DIN EN 12150, can access your stoves and fireplaces.

We guarantee a permanent temperature change up to 900 ° C. Some of our insert panes are used on display in combustion ovens which even reach up to 1.100 ° C, and have been doing so for years already, achieving a perfect result. Stove and ordinary fireplace glass naturally do not reach this temperature, the average temperature that a fully retractable fireplace glass can reach is 300 to 400 ° C, so reassuringly it is good to know that you have a extremely resistant and high quality glass for fireplaces and stoves

Obamot: At my friend's, it is an apartment on the 2nd floor in town, with storage of the wood bought by 2 stere maximum (dry they say ... hum) stored in the garage level -1.
It is cased new in stainless steel in a bushel.
The stove always smokes as soon as the door is opened, impossible to light the fire without killing the room or recharging.
The main draft is non-operative (HS) and only the ash drawer acts as an air draft.
I do not remember the price of a bottle of whiskey in francs, but it should not be much.

For soapstone, is it possible to reduce it to powder to reconstitute it with a refractory cement.
I have the big makita grinder with its diamond disc: I can wet it all and cut in the water.
Of the 6 formwork elements, one is broken.
Otherwise I cut with 5 stones and I leave a place at the bottom to access the log range by one side.
No need for the refractory stone to reach the ground.

In short, with me I have:
a Franco-Belgian double combustion log of 65cm with flat glass and front and side loading. Operational and functional.
a Jøtul double combustion log 33cm with therefore the glass and the broken handle.
With the 2 new kids. I have something to take care of.
The ideal being that I kill three birds with one stone.
I make pay for the 3 panes by insurance.
If 3 glasses on the NET cost the price of an original glass.
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 01/12/15, 13:45

Do you think the insurance will swallow that your three windows broke at the same time?
You’ll have to buy an explosives belt! ( : Lol: )

And then there are snooping insurers, who will want to see the head of the window and necessarily, they will see that one has been forced? (I had been asked for photos of my inverter to reimburse it)

Have you looked at the links, found the equivalent? How much does it cost?
No other idea for now, I give my tongue to the cat! : Idea:
0 x
plasmanu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by plasmanu » 01/12/15, 13:54

No kidding, you never printed a false invoice for a friend.
Style, I swept the insurer.
I'm a salesperson, ask someone to pay cash and we'll make it up, you'll see.
I order 3 glasses but I want only one on the invoice. Logic.
As long as the price of 3 is consistent with the price of an original glass.
see less it seems to me.

I did not know that one of the stoves cost between 2600 and 4300 € HT.
The glass must be salted.
And it's all black not beautiful.

The Danish soapstone is sublime, titanium gray 380kg, I expect the price but it is more than my car and my motorcycle together.

I called the local jotul dealer this morning.
He asks me to send him a photo and ref if I find it. But there is none.
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 01/12/15, 14:07

Ok I see.

"Theft is the fraudulent theft of another's thing", if we consider that through the calculation of" bad risks "an insurer tries to escape itself from the obligation it has towards its policyholders - thus violating the initial" principle of mutuality "for having focused on speculative ground - one can consider that as theft. And even a deception if the insurance does not retrocede this co-lateral benefit policyholders (which they obviously do not always do since they invest in real estate and have banking activities that are out of their profession.)

After what people put in their claims ... : Mrgreen: It's not me who filled them ...
No more than the invoices I do not establish them ...
Nor do I try to do justice myself for simplicity. In principle, I only take compulsory and / or essential insurance. So I save on premiums (which constitutes a real nest egg for me which empowers me to do prevention) and am de facto always a winner (I am the "good risk" who derives the benefits).
0 x