Power reduction okofen = poorly burned granule ...

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 30/12/10, 11:52

I have more precise information on the hearths in a book of babcok and wilcoox boilers from 1920!

with charcoal, the problem was the same as with pellets or wafers ... different charcoal had roughly the same calorific value, but their composition meant that some heated more by flame other more by embers. . which completely changed the setting of the hearth

already at that time things were studied with precision

there is in this book a description of the orsat device, which allowed to measure the rate of oxygen, CO and CO2 in the smoke ... this device works with some glass jars and some fairly simple chemical reagent

with wood it is the same thing: in logs the fir makes more flame and less embers than the oak ... there is no reason not to have the same cha, ngement in the granule according to the wood inside

you should know the principle of regulation of okofen

for me the primary air controls the power of the fire, and it is the secondary air which must be adjusted for complete combustion ... the flow of combustible gas produced by the first combustion can vary very quickly for a very small variation d primary air, or a small variation in the amount of fuel accumulated

the secondary air control by lambda probe is a solution, but I am afraid that it is too slow ... I am looking for something else ... analysis of the color of the flame in the main fireplace ... or color analysis small test flame powered by a mixture of pure gas and smoke: easier to manufacture than the lambda probe, faster and more durable: insensitive to contamination
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 30/12/10, 12:35

For humidity, we can pre-dry the wood, with vapor recondensation with a very good energy balance, which we are already doing simply by storing the wood under or against the stove, which dries in the warmth with the steam which recondenses on the cold spots of the house !!!
So an automatic pre-drying of wood is possible !!!
So the combustion is much better !!!

Controlling combustion by temperatures at different points is already essential, because poor combustion results in bad temperatures.
The colors can be measured by inexpensive LED diodes of various colors which foperate both in light source and in light detectors !!!
Programming after understanding the basic processes and self-adaptation is possible.

I think that existing patents can block certain commercial achievements.
0 x
sebsebien
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by sebsebien » 01/01/11, 01:53

Bonsoir

to come back to the problem of Bedouin on his presence of chewing, for my part a change of supplier settled the concern.

With the previous delivery of pellets I only had unburnt, large heaps of agglomerated ash, charred and hard like iron. This completely invaded the hearth, leaving no room for the pellets to arrive.
Obliged to clear "by hand" the volcano focus every 2 days.
The ashtray filled up in the blink of an eye.

In short....

At the beginning of December I changed supplier and actually I no longer have a problem without touching the settings. Not even a blackened pellet in the ashtray. I have beautiful ash.

So I think that we must first question the quality of the pellets.

So much for my feedback.

@+
0 x
Bedouin
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Bedouin » 02/01/11, 11:03

Hello and happy new year to all of you,

It goes without saying that this supplier will be informed of the consequences ...
Besides, I contacted him as soon as I saw the problem and they must come and collect granules to analyze them.

This is the second time this has happened to me and the first time the supplier had implemented drastic quality controls and I had recommended to him with a good discount and there were no more problems.

I changed supplier to take the one closest to my home to make the pellets travel less because the price is the same ...

That said, it is necessary to dispose of the granules which is in my silo.
Fortunately I only ordered 3 tonnes knowing that my silo could hold 8 ... phew!

b
0 x
The Caravan passes ...
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 02/01/11, 12:16

in your message of 29 dec you seemed to have found a setting that suited

question, are these pellets really bad, or just different?

as long as we do not have the complete explanation of the difference, we can imagine that the pellet that you find bad will be seen good in another boiler ... and that the one that you find good will be bad in another

unless of course it is simply too high an ash rate ... when the ash rate is low it always works well ... when the ash rate is high it only works well if the boiler accepts it
Last edited by chatelot16 the 02 / 01 / 11, 17: 36, 1 edited once.
0 x
Bedouin
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Bedouin » 02/01/11, 12:31

Hello,

Be careful, I said "satsifaisant" ie there is less machefer than before but there is a little bit all the same and sometimes it is more or less depending on the day. But overall there are significantly less.

Then, the yield must be less good, if it burns too quickly and badly so we lose in the end. Without counting the fouling.

In short, it's just satisfactory and not "THE" setting for THIS delivery of pellets.

In the other years (except 1) everything went smoothly without touching the carburetor screws.

b
0 x
The Caravan passes ...
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 02/01/11, 17:16

The clinker before and after is it real clinker, that is to say solidified ash in a non-burnable molten block (which does not burn at all in a torch flame) or is it quite unburnt ( carbon, etc .;) which burn in a torch flame ????
The diagnosis is very different, pellets with wood containing many of the minerals found in unburnable ash, in the first case or pellets with too much moisture or compounds giving poor combustion and which leave full of unburned carbon !!
It is surprising that they do not test their pellets by burning them in a usual pellet stove to see quickly their quality ?????
0 x
Bedouin
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Bedouin » 08/01/11, 10:32

dedeleco wrote:The clinker before and after is it real clinker, that is to say solidified ash in a non-burnable molten block (which does not burn at all in a torch flame) or is it quite unburnt ( carbon, etc .;) which burn in a torch flame ????
The diagnosis is very different, pellets with wood containing many of the minerals found in unburnable ash, in the first case or pellets with too much moisture or compounds giving poor combustion and which leave full of unburned carbon !!

I do not want to argue over it but it seems to me that at home it is a solid crown around the combustion plate with inevitably a lot of unburnt from the center because the air circulates badly because of unburnt. It's not volcanic magma.

b
0 x
The Caravan passes ...
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 08/01/11, 13:01

It's simple, to be on instead of
it seems to me that at home

we strongly heat the pseudo clinker with a strong flame, or torch (gas) and we look at what burns or does not burn and what remains !!!
If the imbibles of the outer solid crown are solid, melt at low T and refuse to burn even when heated very strongly, it is clear that there is an excess of particular minerals, at low T melting instead of light ash at high T of fusion, in these granules which solidify and refuse to leave.
The nature and origin of the wood of origin of these pellets is to be asked, because to be avoided then.
The same woods have ash of quite different composition depending on the soils where they grow (eg limestone or siliceous).
0 x