Reduce the power of a gas boiler

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
PITMIX
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

Reduce the power of a gas boiler

by PITMIX » 04/04/11, 19:53

Hello
Following my solar DHW self-construction work, I sought to regulate the temperature of the hot water produced by my boiler.
Impossible to regulate all or nothing the burner because otherwise it is Scottish shower.
I think the simplest way is to regulate the gas supply by reducing the flow more or less.
This is what the self-modulating gas block of my boiler does by regulating from 23 to 8kW. Except that it regulates almost everything where nothing because the 8kW are reached 30sec before the boiler cuts in regulation.
At first I first disconnected the solenoid valve 100% like that my boiler produces only 8kW max.
Very good result for heating and it is still too powerful for DHW.
While waiting to make a gas block and a tailor-made regulation, to try to further reduce the power, I limited the gas supply slightly (by closing the valve a little) until I got a suitable power to heat the domestic water at 60 ° C and heating the house.
The DHW temperature is correct and the heating times are extended but the boiler cuts in regulation in 1h to 1h15min to go from the room temperature of the house from 17 to 19 ° C instead of 30 to 45min at full power.
I hope to achieve gas savings by doing so.
I should have tested this method at the beginning of winter because it is a little late in the season.

Heating element at 23kw

Heating element at 8kw

Heating element at 5kw

solenoid valve 100% disconnected

gas inlet valve
0 x