Lime plaster / Hemp interior wall

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
vegaman
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Lime plaster / Hemp interior wall

by vegaman » 07/10/13, 22:36

Hello everybody

Here is the current situation:

- I live in Picardy.
- I have a red brick facade wall whose thickness is 3 bricks.
- Inside this wall is covered with a 2cm layer of plaster
- South / South West exposed wall

My wishes :
- I therefore wish to insulate this wall as a minimum
- I do not want glass wool or rock wool
- I want to avoid as much as possible the installation of a vapor brake
- Insulation thickness + lining -> 10 cm
- To be able to fix heavy load (radiator), without having to fetch my brick wall.

Proposed solutions :

1 / Creation of a frame (wood or rail) and laying of 8cm wood wool directly against the wall (no air gap). Then steam brake, to finish with a plaster lining
2 / Application of a lime / hemp coating with a thickness of 5 or 6 cm
3 / Bonding of 3cm cork plate (not + because of the high cost of cork)
4 / a mix of solution 3 and 4 (yes but in what order? Wall / plaster / cork or wall / cork / lime
5/10 cm CHANVRIBLOC hemp block collage

What are for you the advantages / disadvantages of these solutions in terms of thermal, acoustic comfort, cost, implementation?

Whatever the solution, will I really have a significant gain in terms of comfort and energy savings?

Thank you in advance for your help.
0 x
minguinhirigue
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by minguinhirigue » 25/10/13, 13:57

Hello,

You have effectively identified a series of relevant solutions ...
1) You will have an effective insulation with this solution, but according to what you describe of your house, with a red brick wall exposed to the sun, it will be necessary to take care to put an insulator with high volume density for summer comfort in addition simple plasterboard ...
Wood wool is not bad but the price increases quickly when choosing high density products.

1a) Possible variant if you know how to masonry, put in front of a low density insulation not too expensive (cellulose wadding, vegetable wool first price?) A brick partition or thick panels (terracotta, raw clay, or wood depending on what you found cheaper). Example at paragraph 3 of the link ...
It takes up space, it's more expensive than plasterboard, but it's solid (heavy loads), visually and acoustically pleasing. Be careful with the vapor barrier, necessary between the "interior facing" and the insulation.

2) Lime / hemp application, if you do it yourself or in self-construction assistance from a professional (contact the network Construction-hemp ), this will be in my opinion the solution with the best quality / lost area and quality / price ratio.
On the other hand, to be confirmed, but without a wooden framework for reinforcement, it is often advisable to put coatings with a density of 400 kg / m3, so not necessarily very insulating. It may be possible to combine a first pass with an "insulating" mixture (250 kg / m3) over 5 to 8 cm, and a finish with a coating heavily dosed over approximately 3 cm (800 kg / m3).
It would combine insulating power, finesse and hardness of the finish.

3) If you can't afford more than 3cm of cork, forget ...
4) Same, it will be more expensive than the first solutions.

5) If you ask yourself, this solution will take the least time to implement. And it's probably not overly expensive.
You just have to make sure that the last finishing layer is less open to vapor diffusion than chanvribloc. Tadelac coating, or lime coating, cut with cement ...
Indeed, the masonry brick wall must be closed a priori to the diffusion of vapor, the heterogeneity between chanvri-bloc (mortar joints?) Risks creating more possible condensation points than with a coating applied full surface. ..

Good luck...
0 x
Rabbit
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rabbit » 25/10/13, 21:54

bday,

Do you want to insulate from inside or outside?
Are the brick walls lime or cement macone?

Are you allergic to frigolite in all its forms or only some (maybe not at all)?
0 x