Photo reportage: steps of outdoor insulation of a house

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
owen
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by owen » 20/12/11, 23:16

aerialcastor,

What can help me know?

I haven't seen anything listed.

How can I identify this membrane?

There it is difficult.

Ok, I'm waiting to drill the wall, however, I'm going to buy some jumps and put road salt in it.

In short, Dedelco must go up on the roof.

Impossible for me to climb 18m high. I have to wait for the roofer.
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 20/12/11, 23:30

aerialcastor wrote:
owen wrote:question:

I would like to make sure of a point.
Friends roofer, black fabric with small dots,
is it a roofing or vapor barrier?
Personally, I think it's a vapor barrier but I'm not sure.

You can't see the difference in a photo. Isn't there a brand or reference written on it?

In any case if it is a vaporiser the cause of the condensation is all found.

There was a time now gone when we put umbrellas (also called under roof screen) which was not permeable to water vapor so it necessarily condenses.

DOn 2 things to check: if it is a rain cover and if it is HPV (highly permeable to water vapor).

yop there, that's the problem I must have! that we must have!
0 x
Man is by nature a political animal (Aristotle)
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 21/12/11, 00:43

But we still do not, more or less permeable, to remove leaks due to broken tiles!
Even without a rain cover, condensation takes place under the cold tiles at night and more or less porous !!

In fact, there is no totally reliable and safe solution, in all circumstances, because the optimal permeability is variable depending on the conditions.

I prefer to know where the tiles are broken or cracked, quickly receiving the rain below, instead of a rain cover that hides the leaks by draining them elsewhere.
0 x
Matt113
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Matt113 » 21/12/11, 10:15

Hello.

your problem would not come from the fact that as you insulated your walls, the heat which before passed through the walls to go outside now goes back to the attic (cold since it is isolated on the ground) by the walls. therefore the hot / cold creates condensation in the attic. this is a problem that we see in old houses with an uninsulated attic and which have a fire on the ground floor. the chimney passing through the attic, with classic bushel pipes, warms the air in the attic which eventually condenses on the tiles / slates / vapor barrier.
it would be enough to make a simple and not too thick insulation of the attic so that the heated air of the attic is no longer in direct contact with the cold air which is behind your vapor barrier, a few centimeters are enough.
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 21/12/11, 10:18

Matt113 wrote:Hello.

your problem would not come from the fact that as you insulated your walls, the heat which before passed through the walls to go outside now goes back to the attic (cold since it is isolated on the ground) by the walls. therefore the hot / cold creates condensation in the attic. this is a problem that we see in old houses with an uninsulated attic and which have a fire on the ground floor. the chimney passing through the attic, with classic bushel pipes, warms the air in the attic which eventually condenses on the tiles / slates / vapor barrier.
it would be enough to make a simple and not too thick insulation of the attic so that the heated air of the attic is no longer in direct contact with the cold air which is behind your vapor barrier, a few centimeters are enough.

100% of your opinion.
0 x
Man is by nature a political animal (Aristotle)
Matt113
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Matt113 » 21/12/11, 10:38

or it can also insulate the walls of the attic from the inside, there would be a perfect continuity of the insulation. outside the wall, inside the wall, attic floor. the walls would add to the inertia of the house and would become a reserve of heat.
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 21/12/11, 15:03

It's complex and you have to analyze it carefully, specifying each step and words, otherwise errors and ineffective actions.

You have to know where the air from the attic comes from, if it is condensation, with certainty ???
If it comes from outside, it has humidity or humidity from outside and therefore it will not condense on cold spots at T from outside.
Unless these cold spots are colder than outside, as a reminder of a cold period passed, such as between night and day, and then inevitable, except by removing all ventilation.

If the air comes from inside damp, the wall is a porous colander, for indoor humidity, to be checked with the exact nature of the wall and ceilings.
In this case it is necessary to deflect this little air coming up from the wall towards the outside at the periphery, instead of the cold attic and cold tiles, and also better ventilate the attic.
But first you have to be certain of the causes with tests.
0 x
owen
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by owen » 21/12/11, 22:03

For information,

My roof cover are slates 0.5 cm thick (eternit).
And my walls are plain red bricks each 45 cm thick.
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 22/12/11, 01:21

I hope the house is new, because Eternit is famous for putting asbestos in fiber cement and other products in the past.

Otherwise the red bricks full of 45cm are probably monomur not full at all ??
45 cm of solid bricks seems surprising ???
although 18m high of a large 6-storey building is compatible with these 45cm ?????

I looked at the photos of Owen again carefully, the water pearls everywhere fairly uniform and it's impressive !!

owen notes that there has been snow.
Was this snow ultrafine, able to squeeze everywhere with the wind in the interstices ??? ??

I remember having once, 25 years ago, had a night of ultrafine snow that had crept everywhere under the tiles and deposited in incredible quantities in my attic and all the interstices, and I had avoided everything wet the ceilings, picking it up urgently with a shovel by filling a bathtub to the brim!

So I wonder if snow has not accumulated between the slates and the black umbrella and its water comes out slowly?
But after having run out of this water, it should diminish, because very exceptional ?????

Otherwise tiles can be cracked or broken, but it would not be uniform everywhere ???

Otherwise, there is condensation, but then why, it did not happen in the past ??
0 x
Matt113
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Matt113 » 22/12/11, 02:32

dedeleco wrote:
Otherwise, there is condensation, but then why, it did not happen in the past ??

I explained some posts above.
0 x