Pellets and wood pellets: what future for the price?

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: Pellets and pellets: what future for prices?

by dede2002 » 28/09/19, 10:30

The competition, or the merchants' margins?
Given the figures, 10 years ago pellets were twice as expensive in Switzerland as in France. And now, despite a drop on one side and a rise on the other, they are still more expensive in Switzerland ...
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 28/09/19, 21:26

The consumption of wood pellets in France rose 1,5 million tonnes in 2018

Posted by Frédéric DOUARD

Since 2004, the reputation of wood pellet heating has grown rapidly in France and the number of users has increased. Indeed, 95% of users recommend this heating method, this contributes to a positive image and a development of sales.

And at the end of 2018, the bars of one million devices installed and one and a half million tonnes consumed were crossed!

The production and consumption of wood pellets in France

On the French market, the production of granules is progressing and makes it possible to speak of a sufficient auto market. Consumption was 1,56 million tonnes in 2018, an increase of 8%. Import and export having, like every year, played the role of adjustment variable.

Imports increased 3,7% to 275 tonnes. They represent 000% of national consumption, which is stable compared to previous years. French producers exported 17,6 tonnes of pellets.

Pellet appliance sales in 2018 in France

Sales continue to climb: + 14% for pellet stoves and + 44% for boilers. Stoves still represent 90% of the number of pellet appliances sold. The increase in sales of boilers is explained in particular by the introduction of attractive government aid to get out of fuel oil and encourage the choice of renewable energy: CITE extended to the cost of installation and the cost of dismantling the oil tank, "Energy saving boost", increase in the conversion premium (according to means test), etc.

Why do sales of wood pellet appliances go past log appliances?

The French wood pellet industry is pleased to note that sales of pellet stoves and boilers have increased sharply (+ 12% and + 44% respectively) and that for the first time, in 2018, they exceeded those of wood-burning appliances. logs (excluding inserts).

If the sales of pellet appliances exceed those of the log (excluding inserts), it is because this high-tech fuel has not only acquired a great reputation and is very appreciated: it offers distinctive advantages that meet the needs of consumers in terms of comfort, ease of use, reliability and performance. It also responds to a strong environmental problem since it has extremely low particle emissions.

Indeed, wood pellets are the ideal fuel for optimized combustion. It is a homogeneous and dry fuel (humidity below 10%) with a high calorific value (on average 4800 KWh / t). Automated combustion allows you to bring exactly the volume of fuel and oxygen (more difficult to reach with manual loading). Although the log devices are already very efficient and the logs now have effective quality labels, the pellets are unbeatable in terms of humidity and the homogeneity of the fuel.

The recent study carried out by INERIS "Teaching emission studies on the combustion of wood in domestic homes" confirms its elements. It observes that improving combustion conditions is an essential point for reducing polluting emissions. Indeed, over a complete cycle, approximately 80% of polluting emissions take place during the 10 to 15 minutes after the cold ignition of the first load of wood or hot of the following loads of wood (reloading). The factors influencing emissions are the humidity of the wood, the operating speed of the appliance (power optimization), the load and quality of the wood used, the draft and the aging of the appliances. Environmental performance assessment tests have shown that a number of technologies can be used to minimize polluting emissions.

1 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 28/09/19, 21:27

News that goes well with the post above.

Cogra commits 11 million to a wood pellet plant

SYLVIE BROUILLET Usine Nouvelle on 09/09/2019

Driven by a buoyant market, the wood pellet manufacturer Cogra based in Mende (Lozère) will build a factory on its site in Craponne-sur-Arzon, in Haute-Loire, for 11 million euros. Delivered in the summer of 2020, it will bring the total production capacity to 200 tonnes per year.

Cogra to launch construction of a new wood pellet plant with a production capacity of 75 tonnes per year in Craponne-sur-Arzon (Haute-Loire)

Manufacturer of wood pellets born in Mende (Lozère) in 1982, Cogra will launch the construction of a new factory with a production capacity of 75 tons per year in Craponne-sur-Arzon, in Haute-Loire, in order to "seize the growth opportunities of the market", comments the Chairman and CEO Bernard Chapon.

It will be built next to an existing production site (50 tonnes) in exchange for an investment of 000 million euros. 11 positions will be created to run it.

The earthworks will be launched shortly and after a few months of work, the new plant should open in summer 2020. It will integrate a pre-crushing station and the production line will give priority to chips. "Craponne-sur-Arzon is ideally located, underlines Bernard Chapon. The supply radius is only six kilometers and will be further reduced by the future opening of a new sawmill from a historical partner."

The future plant will bring the total production capacity to 200 tonnes, because the Lozère company also has a 000-tonne unit at Séverac d'Aveyron supplied with wood from the forests of Lozère and Tarn. "Today, we produce around 75 tonnes, calculates Bernard Chapon. We expect to quickly reach 000 tonnes. The French domestic heating market is very buoyant. A few years ago, supply was in demand. today demand calls for production. "

Listed on Euronext Growth since 2011, the SME currently employs 48 people, including 16 in Mende, which remains a well-positioned head office between the two industrial sites. Cogra reported for its 2018-2019 financial year (ended in June) a turnover of 24,4 million euros, up 11%. Pellet sales gained 9% to 19,9 million euros and the distribution of stoves and boilers 35% to 4,1 million euros. EBITDA reached 10%. "In the future, we intend to maintain, or even consolidate, this figure," says Bernard Chapon.

https://www.usinenouvelle.com/article/c ... is.N881995
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 11/05/21, 10:48

For those who would like to confront the "finesse" of everything that is written on the internet with the true reality of the facts: I have just confirmed my order this year, at 210 € / t for 8 tonnes (I have a large silo; I fill up both in, for two winters) ... Or € 1, including tax, unloading (blowing) included.

Thirteen years ago, on the first page of this thread, I wrote: " I just bought (January 10) 8020 kg for an all-inclusive invoice including VAT of € 1. Loose, blown in my silo. "
1 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 13/05/21, 11:05

CP 20/07/2020: Wood pellet heating market in France 2019-2020

The figures for the “Wood pellet heating” activity in 2019 were very
satisfactory. The park continues to develop. Today, 1,11 million households are
heat with wood pellets.
In 2019, the pellet boiler had an exceptional year with + 106%
of parts sold. These good results are largely due to state aid for
encourage households to replace their old oil-fired boilers. The boiler at
wood pellet indeed meets the needs of users looking for heating
automatic central also providing domestic hot water. Stove sales
pellets remained stable in 2019. This type of device nevertheless represents 90%
of the wood pellet heating market.
Regarding pellet production, it reached 1,6 million tons in 2019.
France remains on a model of self-sufficiency with consumption slightly
greater than production. Import-export is an adjustment variable that remains limited
(between 15 and 20%) and is played mainly with neighboring countries.
The figures for the start of 2020 were very promising. The health crisis has
inevitably slowed down activity. Post-covid figures are on the rise again, but the
visibility remains reduced.

Pellet production and consumption
Pellet production continued to grow from 1,5 million to 1,67 million.
Consumption slightly exceeded production but France remains on a model
self-sufficiency. Especially since the production capacity is not reached. She would be at
low word of 2 million tonnes (capacity of factories and raw materials) and
new factories will open in the next 12 months. Import-export remains
limited (between 15 and 20%) and constitutes a cyclical adjustment variable.
Export and import are mainly done with neighboring countries: Belgium,
Spain or Germany for import and Italy for export.
Focus 2020 for the production and distribution of granules
Energy is a basic good, which is why part of the
professionals and in particular distributors maintained their activity during the crisis
sanitary. Even if some production plants have occasionally slowed down their activity,
the current stock of pellets is sufficient to tackle the next season.

https://www.propellet.fr/templates/prop ... 202020.pdf
1 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 07/01/22, 12:40

Unsurprisingly, the price of pellets has also exploded to follow that of gas ...

The 15 kg bag went from 3.5 € on average (we could find 2.7 on sale) a few years ago to 5.9 € ... that's just + 70% ...

Screenshot 2022-01-07 at 12-31-01 Firewood, wood pellets, pellet, fire lighter Castorama.png

What is good is that it is 5.9 € for all brands ... Did you say commercial agreement? : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:

So journalists, manufacturers and dealers try to find excuses and nianiania and nianiania ...

Genre "there is more demand, there are tensions on the resource, oh no you also understand, it's the fault of the covid, the confinement makes people heat themselves more at home ..."

Blah, blah, blah, shit (see the production curves above), the only truth is they just don't want to give a damn and line up with the increase in gas ...

Like the sellers of FFP2: I bought 2 boxes of 20 to 7,9 € this summer ... how much today since the neuneus understood that surgery is crap?

Ah, capitalism is beautiful ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 07/01/22, 12:45

Did67 wrote:For those who would like to confront the "finesse" of everything that is written on the internet with the true reality of the facts: I have just confirmed my order this year, at 210 € / t for 8 tonnes (I have a large silo; I fill up both in, for two winters) ... Or € 1, including tax, unloading (blowing) included.

Thirteen years ago, on the first page of this thread, I wrote: " I just bought (January 10) 8020 kg for an all-inclusive invoice including VAT of € 1. Loose, blown in my silo. "

So 215 all inclusive in 2021. How much Didier this winter? If you had to fill in?

5.9 € for 15 kg that makes a price per tonne of 400 € ... in bulk you should touch it around 300 € I imagine?

At 5 kWh per kg that makes a price of energy kWh of 400/5000 = 8 cents ... or 0.8 € / L of equivalent fuel oil (how much is it?)
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 07/01/22, 13:12

The number is the one you quoted. I refuel in the off-season (order in May for summer deliveries; this year, delivery was delayed in September, but the order price applies). I have a silo of almost 9 tonnes, which allows me to spend two winters.

The invoice is € 1 including all taxes, for 671,80 t delivered. Or around € 7,780 per tonne.

But that was not the point. We have here a simple, precise example, where we can see the nonsense that is told on this site. I'm not going to read it all again. I made my choice at the time. And it was the right one. In spite of this nonsense ...

I remember very well the visionary comments of certain "economists of my two", prepubescent anti-capitalist post-teenagers (I am not targeting anyone in particular but by this expression describes a movement quite present here) who told me that "of all way, the price of pellets would follow that of petroleum "(formulated in one form or another, it came back), when here, I mentioned my plan to switch to pellets. In short, the famous: "shitty company", but "above all, do not change anything, once it works", anyway, it will never work! "

We could review a lot of sons. I will be charitable. And don't mention any.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 07/01/22, 13:26

Well when I see the 15 kg bags at 5.9 € at the moment ...

Sorry Didier, but the "pimply anti-capitalist teens *" were quite right ... in their nonsense ...

Contrary to what is argued, there is no tension on production given the capacities that have been put in place (see multiple curves above) ...

My question was therefore to know how much was the delivered ton of pellets in January 2022 at the supplier who delivered it to you at 215 € a year ago ... If you haven't recharged you can't know okay.

That's all ... I will ask the same question again when the tariff shield on gas prices in France will be lifted within a few months (it will hurt, without shield they are at + 800% in Belgium)

In all cases, the pellets remain economically interesting compared to other energies but I just point out the economic benefit decreases ... and not for GOOD REASONS

Heating with wood and pellets is also a certain form of resistance and moral commitment ... more localized production and, to my knowledge, there is no war and death for sawdust! : Mrgreen:

* I know I'm not my Didi age, but teenagers anyway, are you sure? : Mrgreen:
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 07/01/22, 13:28

Christophe wrote:
Blah, blah, blah, shit (see the production curves above), the only truth is they just don't want to give a damn and line up with the increase in gas ...

Like the sellers of FFP2: I bought 2 boxes of 20 to 7,9 € this summer ... how much today since the neuneus understood that surgery is crap?

Ah, capitalism is beautiful ...

I wrote it somewhere, a long time ago: there are two pellet markets. Including that of mobile phones for which it is sometimes a leading product, sometimes a gondola head to fill one's pockets (where the price per kilo of the family packet or of the "batch of 3" is higher than the same packet alone placed more low).

That being said, I can confirm that we are currently witnessing an outbreak.

2022-01-07_13h25_49 Pellets.png
2022-01-07_13h25_49 Pellets.png (39.99 KiB) Viewed 4358 times

I ordered right in the "hole" of 2021.
0 x