thermostat setting optimization to conso gas optimization

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
Boubouille
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

thermostat setting optimization to conso gas optimization

by Boubouille » 27/06/11, 13:35

Hello,

last year I installed a gas boiler (ECV prestige excellence 32 KW) and I have some questions about the thermostat setting to optimize the conso.

1) The thermostat is equipped with an outdoor sensor and an indoor sensor. I do not understand the effect of measurements of the outdoor sensor on the respect of the setpoint given for the ambient temperature. Is not it better to do without this outdoor sensor?

2) I would like, in absolute terms, to be able to follow in real time (and record it) the gas consumption, or the operation of the boiler in order to refine the settings. Are there systems equivalent to "wattmeters" for electricity consumption but for the use I am talking about? I am not talking about a gas meter in the strict sense, but maybe it is possible to recover the control signal from the burner in order to record the operating kinetics of the boiler?

Thank you in advance for your answers.
Regards
Boubouille
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Optimization tuning thermostat for conso optimization

by Gaston » 27/06/11, 13:46

boubouille wrote:1) The thermostat is equipped with an outdoor sensor and an indoor sensor. I do not understand the effect of measurements of the outdoor sensor on the respect of the setpoint given for the ambient temperature. Is not it better to do without this outdoor sensor?
The outdoor sensor is supposed to act on the temperature of the heating water.

The idea being, when the outside temperature is more lenient, produce a warmer heating water, which improves (by some%) the efficiency of the boiler.

If you do without the outdoor sensor, you can adjust the water temperature manually.
0 x
Boubouille
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Boubouille » 27/06/11, 13:55

Thank you Gaston for your answer.
So the external sensor has nothing to do with the respect of the instruction but on the optimal way to reach it.

You have no idea for monitoring the real-time operation of a Gaston boiler?

thanks again
Boubouille
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 27/06/11, 14:28

boubouille wrote:You have no idea for monitoring the real-time operation of a Gaston boiler?
Without modifications in the boiler, no ... sorry. : Oops:
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 27/06/11, 15:05

put in parallel the burner solenoid valve a small relay of the same voltage and use one of its contact to operate a timer.
this gives the operating time of the burner.
it works if the burner is at fixed speed.
if it is flexible or double-speed, it does not work
0 x
Click my signature
swift2540
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by swift2540 » 27/06/11, 16:10

dirk pitt wrote:it works if the burner is at fixed speed.
if it is flexible or double-speed, it does not work

So it will not work : Cry:
The ACV prestige is equipped with a very modulating burner, 5.9 / 32kw.
The principle is as follows:
TA (inside) gives the heating signal
The ext probe gives the heating temperature.
==> to "drive" economically, lower the heating curve of the ext probe as low as possible (water temp), the lower limit being that of the desired interior comfort.
==> the boiler will therefore run for a long time but slowly (on the same principle that a car consumes - at constant speed as in town).
Apart from a manual reading on the meter, I do not see how to follow the boiler. Even if an hour meter existed, it would not inform consumption.
@+
0 x
Sometimes it is better to stop, reflect, and ask the right questions ...
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 27/06/11, 16:22

swift2540 wrote:The ACV prestige is equipped with a very modulating burner, 5.9 / 32kw.
There must be in a boiler electronic card a signal controlling the power of the burner ...

But we should be able to:
1) locate it
2) measure it without disturbing the operation of the boiler
3) interpret it

All without losing the guarantee :?
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 27/06/11, 17:43

Turning your boiler constantly at very low T can be an expensive absurdity if you're out of luck, especially with not very good insulation !!

The best is to measure the difference in reality, between the two possibilities !!

Installers never measure that !!

Under pretext of improvement, one can have beautiful errors in the reality of a house, which has nothing to do with the theoretical model !!

Thermal losses can be very complex !!

A boiler at a complete stop consumes nothing !!!
0 x
swift2540
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by swift2540 » 27/06/11, 18:55

dedeleco wrote:Turning your boiler constantly at very low T can be an expensive absurdity if you're out of luck, especially with not very good insulation !!

Image It is not a question of turning it constantly, but to make it turn as little as possible!
Before, a burner was at fixed power: 32kw / h = 32kwh or nothing
On this boiler, it starts at 5.9kwh, then more if needed. And of course, on / off when the demand is - 5.9kwh.
The interest is in the off-season, when the power required for heating is between 5.9 and 32kwh (i.e. almost all the time, the maximum power is very little over 1 year), the boiler "purrs" slowly, instead continuous on / off. There is the gain.

dedeleco wrote:A boiler at a complete stop consumes nothing !!!

Fully agree
0 x
Sometimes it is better to stop, reflect, and ask the right questions ...