Making a home air conditioning (if possible ecological)

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
pollux
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Making a home air conditioning (if possible ecological)

by pollux » 10/06/06, 15:09

Hi everybody,

I just had a "home air conditioning", in fact a forced evaporative cooler, and as I don't know where to post it, I created this section.

in these times of periodic cannibal, it can be interesting to make yourself a cooler.

my system is based on an ultrasonic nebulizer, like those used for fog fountains, and a pc fan powered by a small transformer 12v.
the photos will help you understand the hack.
I advise you to do this assembly with a bottle of soda 2L and put the blower sleeve at the top of the bottle and directed downwards to avoid the return of condensation in the fan.

this system consumes in all 20W, emits almost no noise, the pc fan is very discreet, and I lowered the temperature of my room (about 45 cubic meters) of 1.5 ° C.

some additional data: room temperature after use 1h15 and 45 cL evaporated water: 25.6 ° C, against 27.1 ° C before.
temperature in the breath of the bottle during use: 17.0 ° C.

this system is a beginning, a proto to see if it works, but it does not look uninteresting. Of course, you still have to air a little at night to turn moisture and avoid evaporating more than 1.5L per day in a room ...

here are the pictures of the editing, I think any explanation would be superfluous, but if you want a complete description, ask me. for the second photo, I reduced the flow of the fan to make the fog more visible ...

another system that I am in the process of tinkering is a kind of plaster "oil-bath radiator", about 40 x40 x7 cm, which is kept damp and which is placed in front of a classic fan type 30cm, 55W. it is much more efficient in theory, but the plaster radiator (whose role is to provide a large air-water exchange surface) is not super easy to build. it is indeed necessary to maximize the exchange surface without losing too much air speed or weakening the thing ... a small proto, frankly badly made, that I tested last summer gave a refreshing of the room of 0.7 ° C for a "radiator" (one should say "evaporator") of 20 x25 x5 cm ... but the surface of the plaster was at 14 ° C for a room at 28 ° and dust !!
I will post news of this system before the end of June. for the moment, I have exams ...

the refresh consuming a lot of energy, I commit to tinkering, invent and hack. it's a pleasure to cool a little and we have the conscience a bit quieter than a big air conditioner 2000W.

of course, I await your ideas for a "home" and green air conditioning, your projects, replications and improvements.

@ soon
-Pollux
0 x
criticism is necessary, but the invention is vital because in any invention there is a criticism of the convention ...
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/06/06, 16:24

Not bad the idea :) but it does not create a problem of humidity?

Subject moved to "Natural and / or Ecological Habitat"
0 x
Logan
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Logan » 10/06/06, 19:26

I think we have to go to the side of passive solar techniques, without ventillo.

I found that too, the vortex effect on the principle of the thermitière. It looks simple to achieve
http://luc.merlovisking.chez-alice.fr/climat-clean.htm

or that, in English: http://www.rolexawards.com/laureates/pd ... te0006.pdf

I also remember a solar fridge (I do not find the link) that works with a non-toxic refrigerant gas (kind alcohol), without compressor and requires only the closing / opening of a valve once every 12 hours . It does not use the pelletier system but the conventional system using passive solar to compress the fluid.
0 x
pollux
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by pollux » 10/06/06, 22:41

re-hello,

@ christophe:
The fog is visible only at the outlet of the bottle, after which it evaporates completely. Over-humidity is a problem if you evaporate too much water. As I said, no more than 1.5L per day in a room of 15 m², except in very dry weather at the limit. It is an extra air conditioner that serves more as an improved fan. When we put ourselves in front of the breath, it's a good thing! Otherwise, the humidity goes away in about 1 / 4 hour ventilating well in the evening fresh (I mean "air" to make a flow of air, like open the north and south windows and open all the doors...). I think you evaporate a lot more water in a bathroom while taking a shower ... and aerating, we have no problem of humidity.
That said, this system is not great anyway, at least in this version ... : Mrgreen:

@ logan:
The solar fridge system you are talking about is an absorption refrigerating machine. go see this site:
http://www.tecsol.fr/RafrSol/index.htmyou will have to click on "next" at the bottom of the page if you want to understand everything

et http://raee.org/climatisationsolaire/like, you have to explore the site.
These machines are very efficient, but it is heavy logistics, and I think it requires solar collectors vacuum ...

If not,
I knew the link on the effect thermitière, it takes again the principle of vortex tube:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex_tube It's very attractive as a DIY, but you'll notice when reading the specs of a vortex tube that it takes a huge rotation speed to hope to "centrifuge" calories (actually create a depression large enough to significantly cool the air ). But it is true that with a tube of great diameter and length, one must be able to hope for something. This type of air conditioning is tempting, unfortunately, I have no place to test it at home ... nor the stove tyau elsewhere. and it can not be tempted into a model. : Cry: : Cry:
That said, I'm afraid that, admitting we can turn the air fast enough, we have a monstrous noise in the wings.

As for the evaporation system in the sand contained between the jars, described in the pdf in English (very good article by the way, and very good initiative of this manufacturer !!!), it joins the idea of ​​the evaporator in plaster. This system is also used since antiquity, the amphorae were porous, which allowed by evapo-transpiration to keep cool the liquid contained.

I am very interested in the black pipe, but this idea of ​​putting wings to force a whirlwind does not please me too much; I'm afraid of the noise that would engender, especially at certain frequencies of rotation of the air (reasoning ... long live the didjéridoo : Cheesy:.... or the ultrasound whistle !! :x ... plus a dog 50km round !! : Lol:)

Since it's about creating a depression to cool, why not use a simple venturi? it's the best way to lower a pressure it seems to me ...
So we could do, at the base of the pipe, a venturi (in the shade and painted in white of course) whose inner wall would be equipped with RIGHT fins to maximize the air-wall exchange surface, and make run a beast heat exchanger around the venturi ...?
...not clear? :|

Ok, a drawing:

I'm not sure what I say, it seems easy ... if christophe, who is an engineer, what I'm not yet, could confirm or tell me "where I planted" ...

Ah, well, just a little point of questioning that just imposed my mind confused: in the tube of which the article on the pipe-air conditioner, the author speaks well depression in the center of the pipe? So if there is depression and he hopes to draw air from the central area called "depressurized", he will have to pump the air. Because if he just puts a tube in the center of his tornado and wait for the cold air to come down in his room that is at atmospheric pressure, I think he will have won a solar vacuum : Lol: : Lol: : Lol:
What do you think?
: Idea: That said, it's already quite a solar vacuum : Cheesy: .

More seriously, if someone has an 20m stovepipe, black paint, a weekend of free and a place to test even the suction that can be obtained with a black pipe in the sun It may be worth it, I'm ready to tinker with the venturi and the exchanger.

@+
-Pollux

PS: sorry for the length of the post ... : roll:
0 x
criticism is necessary, but the invention is vital because in any invention there is a criticism of the convention ...
bilbo
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by bilbo » 10/06/06, 23:34

the Canadian well is easier; No ?
0 x
Live simply so that others may simply live.
pollux
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by pollux » 10/06/06, 23:36

it's simpler indeed, but not applicable to paris ... : Cry:
and the work is heavy on an existing habitat.

-Pollux
0 x
bilbo
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by bilbo » 11/06/06, 00:17

In fact it's a vmc double flow upside down, your thing?
0 x
Live simply so that others may simply live.
pollux
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by pollux » 11/06/06, 09:46

hi bilbo

I confess not very well, understand what you mean by "upside down" ... if you could reformulate or develop ...
you talk about the "fog bottle" or "air conditioner stove pipe" which I would like to test a model with venuri?

In no case it is a vmc, because there is no sending or capturing outside air.
For the second system:
the pipe in which is made a narrowing is a simple chimney, and one uses it to accelerate the air, thus to cool it. the second pipe which wraps around (here seen in section on both sides of the venturi) takes the air in the room to be refreshed and returns it in after having given a little heat to the chimney via the wall. indeed, it is necessary to use a small vmc to circulate the air in this second tube.

-Pollux
Last edited by pollux the 11 / 06 / 06, 12: 59, 1 edited once.
0 x
Sat-going
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Sat-going » 11/06/06, 12:29

Hi,
I have an idea too, evaporation makes the fries, so evaporate.
a thick fabric in front of the window with a porous tube at the top that feeds it with water, just enough for it not to drop on the floor. what do you think?
0 x
Ignorance allows you to lead the sheep where you want.
pollux
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by pollux » 11/06/06, 12:55

not bad the shot of the fabric, it is easier than the evaporator in plaster and less brittle. and worse at least it's light logistics!
but the exchange surface is not huge .... it should be able to make a kind of "honeycomb" fabric and place it in front of a fan or window facing north while only open the top of the window South...

I'll see what I can do with a fence, old T-shirts and a little time when I get it. (time, huh, not old T-shirts ... : Cheesy: )

I invite you to try your idea and to make measurements (type "x" Liters evaporated in "y" hours for a piece of "z" cubic meters, "T ° before", "T ° after" .. .) to validate or invalidate the concept, or even resize it. it's not because it's a DIY that it can not be optimized ... and it looks like a good hack effective and cheap, so it's probably worth it

@+
-Pollux
0 x