Making a home air conditioning (if possible ecological)

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 27/08/07, 09:47

Hi everybody !
my meager contribution for the solar fridge:
http://www.nrjrealiste.fr/solaire/four_frigo.html

otherwise the silica gel beads can be collected in computer stores or ordered online, I had already ordered 1 kilo.

a small 12V air conditioning:
http://www1.produktinfo.conrad.com/datenblaetter/850000-874999/852627-an-01-fr-climatiseu.pdf

PS "denis":
the towel on the fan: the wind is not forced enough to pass through the towel (wet not spongy enough): suddenly it passes on the sides! ...
0 x
bamboo
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bamboo » 30/08/07, 10:01

I read this thread telling myself that it was interesting to have an alternative air conditioning.
But I ask myself a question: a priori the process (ingenious, it must be said) was put in an apartment. So no possibility to use water from a rain recovery tank ...
=> hence my question: Do we know what are the environmental impacts of bringing water to the tap?
- chemical treatments to make it drinkable
- energy to make it drinkable and to transport it

It's not at all controversial, it's just to present my questions. I know that an air conditioning consumes a lot and therefore its environmental impact is also huge, but voila, I was wondering about this artisanal method (and clever, I repeat).

(the question arises all the more since the impact on temperature is quite low)
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 29/06/08, 14:40

I just reread the whole subject for ideas.

I did not even remember my ideas, the time ... :D

: Idea:
But I recall a simple technique that is applied in hot countries, which has not been exposed.
Perhaps it is not obvious to everyone?

In the afternoon, when the sun hits, before taking a nap, pass a damp mop with a rub, quickly, in the rooms where it is possible (not on the carpet, unless ...).

You feel an obvious better, and you can fall asleep.
0 x
Mido66
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Mido66 » 18/05/09, 17:54

you're trying to invent something that has been around for years.
I have one in the 80s.
The principle:
A box with an upper and lower tray, between the two is a panel of honeycomb foam with large holes or a straw curtain, at the back a fan, the water flowed from the upper tray passing through the foam or the straw and arrived in the lower bin or a small pump went up to the upper bin
0 x
Mido66
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Mido66 » 18/05/09, 17:57

for a better effect, a large diameter pipe about 8cm was connected behind the fan and the other end was put outside so I don't think I would blow hot air
0 x
bamboo
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bamboo » 20/05/09, 09:40

Mido66 wrote:for a better effect, a large diameter pipe about 8cm was connected behind the fan and the other end was put outside so I don't think I would blow hot air

I think it is to recover air that is not saturated with water.
If the air loops inside the house, it ends up being saturated and can no longer absorb water => there is no more cooling.

No ?
0 x
Solar Production + VE + VAE = short cycle electricity
Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 20/05/09, 13:22

It is a supply of fresh air so as not to saturate the indoor air

These systems have always existed, but they are used only in ventilated spaces, so as not to transform the atmosphere into a sauna : Cheesy:

See a distributor among many others: http://www.climatiseurs-altis.com/index.html

see also in detail: http://fr.ekopedia.org/Rafra%C3%AEchiss ... diabatique
0 x
"Consumption is similar to a search consolation, a way to fill a growing existential void. With, the key, a lot of frustration and a little guilt, increasing the environmental awareness." (Gérard Mermet)
OUCH, OUILLE, OUCH, AAHH! ^ _ ^
Did67

by Did67 » 20/05/09, 15:53

Indeed, the system had been industrialized in Africa, especially in southern Africa.

It is quite effective - even very effective - when the air is naturally dry: highlands, full dry season ...

This has the opposite effect at the start of the wet season, when the air is already almost saturated.

Because the comfort felt by the human body is a combination of an acceptable temperature for the body and a humidity of about 50/60%, at which perspiration evaporates and cools (the body can then regulate its temperature) . So 30 ° Chumides (saturated) - type Abidjan - can be more painful than 40 ° C dry - kind high plateau of Namibia. In the latter case, you just have to drink so as not to dry out (and eat salty because you lose a lot of salt). Water, I'm talking!

So yes, the system can refresh. But not when you need it most (so-called "heavy" weather).
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 25/05/09, 15:30

And make a house air conditioner with a wood fireplace ...

I did not understand all the explanations of the links offered but I had an idea: I live in a small house in the countryside in Provence with poor insulation. Being a tenant I don't want to invest hundreds and miles and tinkering with a simple system.

This winter I installed an insert to heat myself with wood and I'm gaining a few degrees.
Summer is the other way around: the air in the house is very hot (this was the start of a heat wave already!) And I would like to cool it down a bit. I thought I would use the insert in the chimney because there is a flue that comes out on the roof so a possibility to circulate the air in the house.

If I wrap the chimney on the roof with a box or a black canvas, even add a kind of solar heating piping (a few lengths of black tubes in 100 mm in a spiral), the air that it contains by heating will produce a current and if I make an entry of air in the house close to the ground in a corner of a room which gives on cool place in the shade, a current of fresh air should cool the house!

I read that a vane system (vortex) improves the efficiency which seems quite simple to do starting from the insert or in the chimney on the roof, or put a tray of water in the chimney to further improve the temperature drop.

What do you recommend ? Do you have any links to give me to tinker with this type of assembly?
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
bamboo
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bamboo » 25/05/09, 15:57

I'm not a pro, but that sounds like a good idea.
Reinforced natural ventilation.

On the other hand, the water tank, I would put it on the air intake mouth (not at the foot of the chimney).
Otherwise, you are cooling the chimney ... and therefore, I suppose, decrease the efficiency of your ventilation.
0 x
Solar Production + VE + VAE = short cycle electricity