I called the fire department last night ... wood boiler clogged!

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
Did67

by Did67 » 26/11/12, 14:28

Same opinion: it is completely abnormal that smoke comes out of the regulator, and even more so that it forms a bistre.

The one I had was still "white like new" 6 or 7 years later!

So your problem is elsewhere. Without doubt, indeed, a print that is not correct.

As in what you describe it is abnormal that the air arrives in the boiler by the conduit !!!! It is a reverse draft. Dangerous !!! Wind or no wind, a duct must pull ("upwards" !!!!). Never breathe. And the regulator is there to prevent the squalls causing it to "pull too much" (and not to evacuate the air which enters through the duct) ...

So the duct does not seem to meet the standards: does it exceed the highest point of the roof by about 50 cm (I do not remember the exact standard)? Pra compared to all the facts of the house roof ????

As long as it doesn't work better, it will be super dangerous, your thing. The boiler is not the cause.

all this is just my opinion ! I'm not there. I read between the lines of what you describe.
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 26/11/12, 17:49

Hi Did!

With us the height standard is at least 0,9 meters above the roof, the total minimum length of 3,6 meters and 4,2 meters is recommended for better performance.
: Mrgreen:
0 x
Stepping behind sometimes can strengthen friendship.
Criticism is good if added to some compliments.
Alain
Did67

by Did67 » 27/11/12, 16:00

Well, come on, to be precise, I went to see the Poujoulat site: with us, it is only 0,4 meters (I was not so far!), But from any roof or obstacle 8 m around ...

Otherwise, there is the risk that the wind, coming in front of this obstacle, will put the area in overpressure. The air instead of rising by "thermosiphon", being under greater pressure around the outlet of the chimney, will begin to "descend" in the duct ... This is the reverse draft ...

Do not forget that around 400 km / h, the simple difference in curvature between the top and bottom of an Airbus wing can lift tens of tonnes! This gives an idea of ​​the forces at play!

http://www.poujoulat.fr/contenu/28/23/2 ... ml#titre_2
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 27/11/12, 16:33

it makes me laugh a little all these precaution on the position of the chimney ... but we forget that it would be necessary the same precaution on the ventilation of the room where is the boiler

if unfortunately the boiler room is only ventilated by a single entrance door on a facade of a building, the day when the wind blows in the direction that makes a depression on this facade it will necessarily reverse the draw. .. note in this case of boiler room with an independent door, the reverse draft will not intoxicate anyone

fortunately in general it communicates with the whole house and makes an average pressure between all the openings
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 27/11/12, 16:58

Yes, you're right.

For the pellet boilers, the manufacturers specify that there is an air intake of such dimension ... But indeed, what you say is also true, it is not specified where it should be!

Now, I wouldn't say it makes you laugh. Let's say that if it is a necessary condition (with no doubt safety margins; not all installations are compliant and some work!), It is not a sufficient condition. Let's just say that we can combine the two: overpressure on the roof and depression at the air intake of the boiler room !!!
0 x