I called the fire department last night ... wood boiler clogged!

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 24/11/12, 15:30

of course, plugging a chimney in 3 weeks means that this boiler works poorly, smokes more than it heats

Finally I have a little trouble believing in this blockage in 3 weeks ... would it not be rather a bad sweeping that forgot a part of the duct?
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 24/11/12, 15:43

Indeed, it is either one (the boiler) or the other (undersizing) or both.

Well I would say that we must also see that with insurance (after having been well informed)!

Because if the installation was done improperly, it must be established a responsibility. The smoke has caused damage, we can imagine that because of the odors, the smoke it will be necessary to repaint some blackened walls or that elements raised in temperature should Be changed or even that unusual heat has damaged some elements ...

So the first thing would be to get in writing what the fire department suggested, then on that basis alert the insurance so that it turns itself on the bad guy does the work ...

Thus there is possibly a chance for the installation to be brought up to standards free of charge.

In addition, if the installation is not and a fire breaks out in the future, they will give you peanut by telling you that you have not done the necessary.

If the repair is tinkered, ditto, it will fall back on you. To prevent any problem in the future, it is necessary that the work that will be done, be invoiced, and that the invoice serve to bind those who did the work. So in case of a pinch the owner will be covered! I do not say that only in this case, but of what can happen in general in this type of situation.

Because you have to watch out for the fact that a claim is compulsory in certain circumstances (since it "obliges" the insurance and / or the insured in different ways ... )

So we should not fall into the situation where the insurance could criticize the insured for not having done due diligence.

So it's time to find the invoices (chimney sweeping, installation, wood purchases, work etc) and go and see his insurance ... It's like that I would do!
0 x
Surfeurseb
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Surfeurseb » 24/11/12, 19:09

Indeed, you are absolutely right, the wiser is to start with insurance.

Fortunately, not much to say in terms of damage!

In addition, I will not restart this boiler without being sure of the installation.

A suivre
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 24/11/12, 19:38

Hello!

I am amazed that a wood heating equipment still uses a draft regulator, the best way to avoid this smoke return problem that I experienced with a slow combustion which did not have this regulator but I had the possibility of the air intake outside because my stove was equipped with this characteristic, after never again a problem and even the ignition was done with only a few pieces of paper on tarpaulins and not even small wood.

In my opinion a recent wood system should take air outside to avoid pressure differences between inside and outside, thus providing stability. © of combustion and above all avoid the draft regulator which I am really surprised to see again the installation that I thought diparu for a long time.
0 x
Stepping behind sometimes can strengthen friendship.
Criticism is good if added to some compliments.
Alain
Did67

by Did67 » 25/11/12, 10:20

I would qualify:

1) The acceleration of the draft is not directly related to the air intake. It is usually the "airplane wing effects" that the wind makes on the roof. At home, the turbulence raises the tiles. I had to tie them on the first half of the roof. The fireplace is located here. So in a strong westerly wind, a very strong apspiration is created in the duct ...

The correct answer is indeed the draw regulator.

2) Normally, except in special cases (straight duct very high), in the absence of wind, the regulator is closed.

3) I don't think that in this incident this "thing" is a cause. It served as an escape route for the fumes, that's all. Surferseb mentioned it in this regard ...

The duct clogged, there would have been an incident anyway, the fumes would have escaped somewhere. At worst, the gases accumulating, a small "explosion" would have occurred which would have dislocated the pipe, or I don't know ....

4) This remains a recommendation, with us, among all manufacturers of boilers (especially pellet) serious, since we seek a good performance by controlling the air intake and the © exhaust fumes (controlled combustion). This is not possible if the depression in the duct oscillates constantly in large proportions ...
0 x
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 25/11/12, 11:51

You are talking about a fan. It would therefore be a reverse combustion boiler.

There are 2 places to adjust a TÂ ° of water:
1. on the control panel, which causes the standby (stop of the smoke extractor) to be set at around 80 °
2. the chain regulator is adjustable from 65 ° to 80 °. It is this regulator which provides the intermediate powers. You must have a screw for adjusting the closed position of the primary air valve. This valve must remain open by at least 5mm, adjust it with this screw.

These TÂ ° may appear high, it is necessary. The TÂ ° of the radiator water is regulated downstream of the circuit.

The primary / secondary air balance is often adjustable too, it must be modified according to the humidity level of the wood. The rules for assessing the colors of the flame are as follows:
- yellow with blue edges, it's ok
-red, not enough secondary air
-yellow very clear, white, too much secondary air
-with smoke not enough secondary air
Please note these rules are only valid with a boiler stabilized in operating T ° for at least 15 minutes.
It is also good to have a thermometer on the smoke outlet, which should rotate between 150 ° and 200 ° in steady state.

There, I hope it will help you.
0 x
Surfeurseb
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Surfeurseb » 25/11/12, 21:47

Did67 wrote:I would qualify:

1) The acceleration of the draft is not directly related to the air intake. It is usually the "airplane wing effects" that the wind makes on the roof. At home, the turbulence raises the tiles. I had to tie them on the first half of the roof. The fireplace is located here. So in a strong westerly wind, a very strong apspiration is created in the duct ...

The correct answer is indeed the draw regulator.

2) Normally, except in special cases (straight duct very high), in the absence of wind, the regulator is closed.

3) I don't think that in this incident this "thing" is a cause. It served as an escape route for the fumes, that's all. Surferseb mentioned it in this regard ...

The duct clogged, there would have been an incident anyway, the fumes would have escaped somewhere. At worst, the gases accumulating, a small "explosion" would have occurred which would have dislocated the pipe, or I don't know ....

4) This remains a recommendation, with us, among all manufacturers of boilers (especially pellet) serious, since we seek a good performance by controlling the air intake and the © exhaust fumes (controlled combustion). This is not possible if the depression in the duct oscillates constantly in large proportions ...

This is how I saw it.

Now the big problem is its reliability. Either it stays stuck, which happens from time to time, and I take it off easily with my finger when I notice it. Otherwise, too much draft during gusts, air is introduced again into the combustion chamber because of the lack of sealing at the fan.
This produces incomplete combustion, insufficient temperature, too much smoke generation.
This smoke then easily condenses in the duct.
Repeated all week, I think we easily get to the blocked duct ...

If in addition it ends up remaining open, because of the bister, then all the smoke can come out there, in the House.

For those who do not imagine what a draft regulator is, it is simply a valve on the side of the duct, which is closed by a weak spring. Ultimately, by blowing on it you can open it (when it is not glued).

With hindsight, this is a situation that I have grazed several times, without knowing it.
I am really amazed at the absolute need for surveillance of this type of installation!
0 x
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 25/11/12, 22:00

no, there is normally no need for monitoring. your installation is faulty, that's why you have to watch. And in addition, in my opinion your boiler is not set correctly, hence my previous post.
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 26/11/12, 05:31

Philippe Schutt wrote:no, there is normally no need for monitoring. your installation is faulty, that's why you have to watch. And in addition, in my opinion your boiler is not set correctly, hence my previous post.

+1

I would rather look at the height of the chimney which lacks draft!

Surfeurseb

Wouldn't you have a photo of the chimney and the roof to see if it conforms?
0 x
Stepping behind sometimes can strengthen friendship.

Criticism is good if added to some compliments.

Alain
Surfeurseb
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Surfeurseb » 26/11/12, 10:02

Alain G wrote:
Philippe Schutt wrote:no, there is normally no need for monitoring. your installation is faulty, that's why you have to watch. And in addition, in my opinion your boiler is not set correctly, hence my previous post.

+1

I would rather look at the height of the chimney which lacks draft!

Surfeurseb

Wouldn't you have a photo of the chimney and the roof to see if it conforms?

Well no photos yet, I'm on the go all week.
Regarding the adjustment of the boiler, I respected the manual, and obtained as recommended a white combustion chamber, and not gray or black as when combustion is not optimal.
0 x