Very old house insulation

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
cortejuan
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Very old house insulation

by cortejuan » 27/12/10, 21:56

Hello,

here is my problem: I have a very old house (former monastery of the time of the Spanish Franche-Comté built and restored between 1600 and some and 1800).

I changed all the frames (current standards, double glazing with low emissivity, etc.) I insulated the attic floor (solivette + 20 to 30 cm of glass wool + chipboard floor over the entire surface). On the other hand, the attic itself is not insulated and often maintained with strong ventilation.)

The floors are partially on vaulted cellar playing the role of crawl space, part is on betostyrene.

Everything is fine and the cabin is fairly well heated: basically 8 rooms at a temperature modulated from 12 to 20 degrees, (PAC 15 KW heating + fuel (EJP period and very cold) + wood stove.)

So no problem except that I have the outside walls of thickness oscillating between 50 and 60 cm). They are made of local limestone assembled with lime or a lime / clay mixture. They are partially paneled inside (woodwork, cupboards, window towers).

My question after this long preamble is: what is the type of insulation that I could implement (inside, because the exterior plaster is new and a facade is in exposed stone) knowing that I would avoid touching the woodwork, some of which are 300 years old as well as cornices in plaster).

Are there rigid thin insulators that I can stick on the plaster, (without disfiguring the wooded parts)? Is it reasonable to try to insulate the walls of such a house, finally you have to break everything to insulate well (simple question of curiosity, this option is automatically rejected ...)

Pending your enlightened and enlightening answers, thank you in advance.
0 x
PITMIX
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

by PITMIX » 28/12/10, 10:52

Hello
In an old building what is really effective is very beautiful it is the wood fiber. I saw this in an old renovated farmhouse with exposed framework it was magnificent.
You can leave visible afterwards because it brings cachet and gives a natural look.

Give us the composition of your walls because in some cases the insulation is made by the materials used at the time. Exterior stones + brick + air space + brick + plaster for example.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/12/10, 11:01

Yes Pitmix, you have to see if he likes it. It's not easy to reconcile performance and design in insulation!

cortejuan, some pictures of your interior would help you.
0 x
cortejuan
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by cortejuan » 28/12/10, 11:10

Hello,

first of all thank you for your answers,

I will take some photos and post them during the day.

cordially
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 28/12/10, 11:51

not 36 solution ... to be effective an insulator must be thick ... therefore impossible to keep the original aspec ... you have to choose the side to be massacred: inside or outside ... or do without 'insulation

in your case a posibility is to dismantle your original beverage ... put glass wool and reassemble the woodwork 20cm more inside

my preference is for insulation from the outside, but alas it makes all the old architecture disappear
0 x
cortejuan
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by cortejuan » 28/12/10, 23:22

Hi,

So no miracle, the thin insulation as efficient as a thick insulation has not yet been born. If it only makes sense ...

Regarding the walls, they are entirely of semi-soft limestone, sealed with lime and depending on the age of the wall with a relatively friable lime / clay mixture. The whole is rather insulating, guaranteeing me by inertia roughly a week of heat when the temperature drops (and vice versa ...) thickness between 50 and 60 cm, recent plaster in the old style (tinted lime). Inside plastered and paneled walls for about one meter.

For the insertion of image, I did not understand well yet ... but I will try again.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 29/12/10, 10:09

cortejuan wrote:For the insertion of image, I did not understand well yet ... but I will try again.

Explanations here: https://www.econologie.com/forums/comment-me ... t1176.html
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 29/12/10, 13:52

Some develop thin vacuum insulators but their price and availability ????????
See in Germany.
I have to find the documentation, but with a very fine pore insulator, less than a micron, the vacuum does not need to be very high (1/100 of atmosphere) and therefore after pumping cheap enough long should store even in plastic insulation.

Mystery price, considering the price of research ?????
0 x