Stone and earth house insulation

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
toad
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Stone and earth house insulation

by toad » 19/08/10, 09:46

Bonjour.

I am in full dilemmas, I have a house mostly with 50cm thick stone walls and a bit of earth and my future heating will be a high temperature air water heat pump, the question is what insulation?

I want hemp lime plaster on the inside, my attic will be insulated with small bales of straw. But I'm afraid that is not enough.

The advice of someone who has done the same would be of great help to me
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 19/08/10, 16:34

a house mostly with 50cm thick stone walls and a bit of earth and my future heating will be a high temperature air water heat pump

First reaction, quite aberrant, for an ecological approach, which uses and pushes to increase French nuclear electricity, which if it continues, will give us a Chernobyl in France, sooner or later, since men, French technocrats or not, are not infallible !! !! Evacuation in one day of an entire region so as not to return to live there for centuries!
How much do you invest in this central heated air-water PC for the entire installation.
Put on a solar water and house heating, and heat with wood in addition with an automatic boiler.
Where is your house?
Hot, cold in winter? in town or in the country? what surface? has floors? With large small garden? Are you there only on weekends (secondary home) or non-stop?
Your house has a very high inertia, it takes a long time to heat and cool, so you may not be able to heat it in a weekend !! and in fact spend as much as continuous heating, even reducing the heating during the week! !
The continuous solar heating will not have this problem, except the rare times of very cold.
What is the power of your heat pump, electric, and thermal according to the outside temperature.
The heat pump has an efficiency which decreases quickly as soon as the temperature difference is important and therefore not very interesting in cold regions, or even ruinous according to some accounts !!
Check on the internet that your brand of PC has not had major problems with Internet users !!
A PC has a mechanical compressor, fluids that can leak, and therefore a much shorter life than an insert or boiler with fuel (wood, gas, fuel oil).

In addition, manufacturers completely change their models every 3 years, refrigerant gas standards, electronics, etc.
Thus, for me, in the Var region (hot in winter, good for PC), more than 10 years ago, the architect had me installed a PC air air (the most famous brand for its reliability! ) for the rare times I go there in winter (with an extra wood insert and I did not use the PC as an air conditioner even during the heatwave of 2003 !!) and lightning in 2005 gave me it destroyed by falling on the house !!
The repair was difficult, because the installer discovered that my model was no longer made, (a few years after its installation) and I was extremely lucky that he found a last unsold copy to replace it for me. , otherwise I would only have to pay for a complete new PC out of my pocket (with my insurance only reimbursing me for the repairer's estimate for only the electronics to be replaced, since the repairer had made a quote without inquiring ).
I was told, your PC should no longer break down, because your model is obsolete, untraceable otherwise you will have to pay for a completely new one !!
So I installed a lightning rod to reduce the risk ??
In addition, I had to solve the problem myself of making the new replacement electronic card work, otherwise I would have to pay more than 1000 € for repeated trips (80Km each time) from the installer who does not. not going out !!!! (not even able to see an additional switch to be adjusted!) his employee could not distinguish on a multimeter a zero resistance from infinity, that is to say a short circuit to be distinguished from a broken wire !!
Being a physical engineer saves money.

Also, the less expensive electronics there are, the fewer breakdowns and the longer the lifespan in practice!
Elsewhere, I keep a 30 year old gas boiler without any breakdown !! But if I change it I would be trapped, for a 20% better performance, a pimp compared to better insulation and additional heating with wood.
So a de facto heat pump lasts less than the duration of its depreciation !!
For you with an eco approach, instead of providing a justification for the proliferation of nuclear power plants, look at the price of an installation with an automatic wood-fired boiler and additional solar heating in mild weather.

In addition, your house with thick walls is naturally in contact with the earth which keeps it at the average annual temperature of 13 ° C, without any heating, ideal for solar heating !!
In the event of a serious failure of your heating, as for me, you can wait for months to see the arrival of the Japanese or Chinese piece which is no longer made, 3 to 5 years later, and again with luck, otherwise you will have to pay for a different new PC !!
Also put on an emergency wood heater !!
Put an inverter on the power supply of your heat pump to protect it from lightning because my computer has withstood lightning, not my heat pump !!
An inverter of a few KW is not given !!
You will have the chance with your earthen house, to have 12 to 13 ° C, without heating, and not 2 to 5 ° C as in a modern breeze-block house (isolated or not) in the Paris region !!!
Also, for your safety, take a wood heating simple boiler or insert in addition.

Watch and carefully learn the site:
www.fiabitat.com
read on econology read all forums For example :
https://www.econologie.com/forums/post175309.html#175309
https://www.econologie.com/forums/post174987.html#174987
The possibilities are immense and underused with an optimum combining them with the choice, solar plus storage, to spend nothing more on heating, especially on old house with thick walls, much better than a modern house, with no more heating costs whatever the future price of fuel and nuclear electricity very underestimated, waste, dismantling, future Chernobyl !! !!
read all forum and the others from start to finish:
https://www.econologie.com/forums/post28757.html#28757
0 x
toad
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by toad » 20/08/10, 15:52

Thank you dedeleco.

The house is located in Brittany with 2000m2 of land and is approximately 200m2 all finished. For the moment I am renovating 150m2 on RC and a floor, I have no other heating and it is for the year-round resident.
Goods.
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 20/08/10, 16:58

Granite stones ??
Beware of radioactive radon, inquire and break down into consequences ???

Otherwise in Brittany not cold, put a fireplace and wood heating, and the cheapest supplemental solar energy and long-term security, still functional, even if the electricity is down and the other energies see their price explode?
0 x