Insulate attic, hemp and cellulose panels

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
iridium
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by iridium » 25/11/08, 14:23

Hi christophe.

I have to insulate my house.
roof that I am going to arrange.
Do you have any ideas to do it yourself "cellulose wadding" at the level of the formwork ????
is what is holding me back !!! ..
a+
0 x
Malzer
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Malzer » 16/03/09, 17:45

here is a little link for all you help

the title how to apply cellulose, full of good ideas

http://www.daemmstatt.net/dae/down/web/ ... o3_diy.zip
0 x
fariobis
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

attic-edge trimmer insulation: what feedback?

by fariobis » 12/11/09, 09:32

Hello Christopher,

Your photo report is very interesting because complete. Thank you for giving the method used, a border size you had to think about it! However, I have a question about the fact that it may damage the cellulose fibers by cutting them, right? What do you think ?

My second question concerns the collapse of the thickness 2 months after installation: you had installed 18 cm, right? Have you checked whether the thickness has decreased?

Before embarking on the choice "cellulose", I wonder if an attic insulation in bundles of straw would not also be a good alternative: however it is difficult to know possible suppliers, but also the means to protect rodents. , etc ...

Sincerely,

Philippe
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 24/11/09, 00:07

As promised and planned, I returned to do an inspection on the scene of the crime ... er in the lost attic ... almost 2 years later (work done in February 2008)

And the cow !!! All you have to do is make a few movements and the dust that I thought has "stabilized enough" returns horribly, the proof here is the 1st photo after having just moved the hemp panel which blocked the access hatch:

For the rest: "lunar" atmosphere, it hasn't changed, apparently no rodent damage:

I noticed a settlement of 2 to 3 cm I would say. By putting your hand in the wadding (gently so as not to create too much dust), you can feel that the settlement has taken place at the bottom of the layer, logical it is the cotton wool is more "compressed" there. Must see if it continues over time in the long term or not.

This photo gives you an idea of ​​the density of dust deposited on the hemp panels:

In short if you have the choice: have the professionals flock it because it's really awful as a job ...
0 x
Christophe

Re: attic-edge trimmer insulation: what feedback

by Christophe » 24/11/09, 00:14

fariobis wrote:Your photo report is very interesting because complete. Thank you for giving the method used, a border size you had to think about it! However, I have a question about the fact that it may damage the cellulose fibers by cutting them, right? What do you think ?

No it is so fine that it does not damage the fibers, on the contrary, a professional flocculator flocculates even finer than the edge cutter!

fariobis wrote:My second question concerns the collapse of the thickness 2 months after installation: you had installed 18 cm, right? Have you checked whether the thickness has decreased?

Answer above: 2 to 3 cm of compaction I would say. As the surface is uneven it is not easy to measure. I did it in the formwork.

fariobis wrote:Before embarking on the choice "cellulose", I wonder if an attic insulation in bundles of straw would not also be a good alternative: however it is difficult to know possible suppliers, but also the means to protect rodents. , etc ...

The straw works well too and it's much easier to put in small square bales. Straw supplier: the nearest farmer. On the other hand it is necessary to make a raticide treatment similar to that of the cotton wool or then to chase the mouse holes ... if it is possible. Fire question (so insurance?) On the other hand I don't know ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 24/11/09, 00:27

malzer wrote:here is a little link for all you help

the title how to apply cellulose, full of good ideas

Thank you for this video, I put it on the EconoTV: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xb93oh ... -meme_tech

Here it simply mixes with a concrete / paint mixer ... it must therefore flocculate much less than with the edge cutter ... But at least it does not have that filth of dirty dust ...
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 26/11/09, 19:41

Christophe wrote:[...]
And the cow !!! All you have to do is make a few movements and the dust that I thought has "stabilized enough" returns horribly, the proof here is the 1st photo after having just moved the hemp panel which blocked the access hatch:
So, if you want to stabilize with a "simple" way, the next time you go back up with a knapsack sprayer and you wet the surface layer: no more movement of cotton wool particles ...

Christophe wrote:[...] In short if you have the choice: make flocking by pros because it is really horrible as job ...
: Cheesy:
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: attic-edge trimmer insulation: what feedback

by Woodcutter » 26/11/09, 19:45

fariobis wrote:My second question concerns the collapse of the thickness 2 months after installation: you had installed 18 cm, right? Have you checked whether the thickness has decreased?

Answer above: 2 to 3 cm of compaction I would say. As the surface is uneven it is not easy to measure. I did it in the formwork.
Settlement = 10 to 15%, normally in about a year.

fariobis wrote:Before embarking on the choice "cellulose", I wonder if an attic insulation in bundles of straw would not also be a good alternative: however it is difficult to know possible suppliers, but also the means to protect rodents. , etc ...

The straw works well too and it's much easier to put in small square bales. Straw supplier: the nearest farmer. On the other hand it is necessary to make a raticide treatment similar to that of the cotton wool or then to chase the mouse holes ... if it is possible. Fire question (so insurance?) On the other hand I don't know ...
Warning ! Straw in "free version" is not a trivial step, for all the reasons mentioned: sensitivity to insects, rodents and ultra-sensitivity to fire ...
Any inconvenience that disappears when used in walls.
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."