Insulate attic, hemp and cellulose panels

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bham » 26/01/08, 21:35

Christophe wrote:At the level of the profiles there is a "triangle" whose base is "embedded" in the attic floor. I don't know if that's a clue for you ?.

Yes now it's very clear, your beams (that of the floor), most likely come to rest on the central IPN (that of the triangle) which is about 160 / 180mm thick. Knowing this, we can assume that there is also an IPN at the level of each pinion and having the same function. But you would have to discover the paneling below to be sure.

Regarding the chaining, citro answered you, I think you see what it is now. I would just add that a chaining serves to support and distribute loads, that of a floor slab for example.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 26/01/08, 23:21

Thank you for the explanation I understood.

citro wrote:For the diagnosis of a possible thermal bridge between your screed in concrete blocks and the exterior walls, this can sometimes be seen in winter (when you heat up) after a heavy rain which wets the exterior walls.

Thank you for the method but it is not applicable with us, we have slate cladding "everywhere" ...

No bham it does not seem that there are other beams than that there ... on the other hand there are on the lower floors ...

The 2nd "supports" (in addition to the 2 gables) is made by an internal concrete block wall, see the photo with the formwork ...

As a bonus on Saturday evening, a fun session in the cotton wool!

0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 26/01/08, 23:56

For the slab and the thermal bridge (if it exists), you are obliged to do with .....

If the builder took care to make a chain in reinforced concrete which is only half the thickness of the blocks of ytong is 15 cms, he could "bordered" this chain by half-blocks of ytong on the whole exterior, but at that time (do you know the exact date of construction?), we did not ask so many questions about thermal bridges.

I know that when I chose MOB rather than another system it was, among other things, to remove all thermal bridges. In a wood frame, this is not a problem since the wood is itself insulating.

Anyway, even with thermal bridges your insulation is not useless.
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
Flytox

by Flytox » 27/01/08, 10:37

Bonjour Christophe

Christophe wrote:
As a bonus on Saturday evening, a fun session in the cotton wool!

The last one that I saw jiggle like this was because a rat had entered his overalls through the leg .... panic of the interested party and laughter guaranteed for all the witnesses. : Mrgreen:

A+ : Mrgreen:
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
Christophe

by Christophe » 27/01/08, 12:53

Hihihi Flytox! Well, it's not a video, it's a montage of several photos, I didn't move as quickly in real life, but it was the only moment of work break-up. :D :D

Jean for the thermal bridges, I already said that I think they were careful otherwise why use Ytong even for the slabs. Quite rare all the same even in 2008 according to a professional friend of the building who came to our house yesterday.

On the other hand I spotted some thermal bridges in the garage and the cellar (lintels in all cases) but at the level of the "habitable" part I am almost convinced that they were careful ...

The permit dates from 1981 and I think the house was completed in 86-87 (the only clue I have found for the moment is 1986 = date on the bankruptcy of the toilets ... : Mrgreen: ).

Jean63 wrote:Anyway, even with thermal bridges your insulation is not useless

Well if the entire attic floor is a thermal bridge, I'm starting to seriously doubt the usefulness of this "over-insulation" ... It's a bit like insulating from the outside leaving a gap of 15 cm or the cold air could pass ... :|
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 27/01/08, 18:03

Here is as planned and promised, here is the "raw foundry" video:

Video we could not film more in the attic because of the dust ...

This is one of the very first video of my life so please be a little forgiving on the content and the form. Thank you.
Last edited by Christophe the 27 / 01 / 08, 18: 33, 1 edited once.
0 x
bpval
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by bpval » 27/01/08, 18:19

Hello

Christophe wrote:
Jean63 wrote:Anyway, even with thermal bridges your insulation is not useless

Well if the entire attic floor is a thermal bridge, I'm starting to seriously doubt the usefulness of this "over-insulation" ... It's a bit like insulating from the outside leaving a gap of 15 cm or the cold air could pass ... :|

Assimilate concrete to vacuum ... you amaze me
My house is made of concrete and there you give me a doubt
I live in a vacuum OUAH

No you did well to isolate
Indeed you may have a thermal bridge but consider your concrete as a dripping tap or a resistance ...
But surely not like a vacuum

Hello
0 x
PIF PAF POUM
Christophe

by Christophe » 27/01/08, 18:29

bpval wrote:Assimilate concrete to vacuum ... you amaze me

Uh thermally, it defends itself, right? Empty was not appropriate I should have said "space".

Thermal coefficients of concrete :

2.00 solid concrete
Solid concrete reinforced 2.40

In other words, reinforced concrete conducts 2.40 / 0.04 = 60 times more than an average insulator.

And 4 cm of rock wool is roughly 2 m of unreinforced concrete... so yes I think it's not too "abuse" to assimilate concrete to "nothing at all" in terms of insulation ...

Otherwise welcome to the club of concrete houses! : Mrgreen:
0 x
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bham » 27/01/08, 18:37

Christophe wrote: Here is as planned and promised, here is the "raw foundry" video:

http://www.dailymotion.com/econologie/v ... lul_tech...

Ah well that's great, we finally see what the solar house looks like.

Christophe wrote: ps: want a homemade "snowblower": http://www.dailymotion.com/related/7030 ... son_tech...

I do not see what he uses as a device. A leaf blower?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 27/01/08, 18:42

1) Yes like it was not pipo for the house ... we can say what we want on the net ...

2) Yes for the blower but the video does not give a lot of info ... in any case the flocculation does not really seem great (a lot of "lumps") ...

In my opinion it is not profitable to build such a machine to make a few tens of m² ... just the pipes it is very expensive ... but if we have 100% recovery pkoi no yes ...
0 x