Insulation: Your opinions on "Icynene" foam

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
Diabolo
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Insulation: Your opinions on "Icynene" foam

by Diabolo » 30/08/12, 14:11

Hello,
I am currently renovating an old farmhouse and am tempted by a "new" method of insulation which would be to project an expansive foam on the walls: the Canadian foam Icynene.
Polyurethane kind but ... better I am told! It seems that Canadians have been using it for 25 years successfully.

The interest for me is:
- It sticks to the wall, here stone walls all twisted
- That it occupies all the space, therefore less thermal bridges
- Whether it is 1 or 2 days so fast and easy, then we plate the BA13 and it's over.
- That it would be - a little less - natural, recyclable, would not generate CO2 etc, etc ....

Do you know? What is your opinion on this foam?

Thank you in advance
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/08/12, 14:21

Hi welcome,

We already have a topic about this product: https://www.econologie.com/forums/icynene-un ... t7277.html
0 x
Diabolo
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Diabolo » 30/08/12, 14:35

yes I read, but it is more about polyurethane than Icynene.
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 30/08/12, 15:12

Well, that still stands out?

Same method as last time? 8)
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
Diabolo
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Diabolo » 30/08/12, 15:26

I can post pictures of my house under construction, as long as I collect notices on it.
But I have the impression that it is not yet a known technique ...
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 30/08/12, 17:02

In fact, here it is a forum or we try a little talk (and promote) ecological solutions, especially for insulation problems ....

And this product does not really seem convincing on many important points in terms of environmental impact or overall insulation performance (not only in winter) ...

But, as you say, it is not very well known, so all the information is interesting to take!
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 30/08/12, 19:16

As Bucheron says: not very ecological ....

However, we must recognize that there are cases where we can not go ... And if we want to isolate, it is still a solution, which in the medium or long term is econological, since we isolate and that suddenly the carbon footprint is more favorable ... So interesting for the air intakes that we want to neutralize.

The problem is that you would have to wet and clean to have clean surfaces for good adhesion. However, in air inlets such as double walls (or whatever) the very fact that we choose a foam indicates that if this choice is made it means that we cannot access ... therefore we can not clean or wet except superficially and at the entry of airways! That's the theory, in practice it still works better given the adhesive nature of polyurethane foam. But that's not great, if we stick to the application methods of the suppliers, who with this technical defect protects themselves against any subsequent complaints! Quite skillful. "Mébon" is the building, with in principle several specialties distributed in principle in trades .... In we find everything, even among the installers who are sometimes very folklos, so we can hardly blame the industry to take some precautions ...

Now for the renovation of the old must dream!

- polyurethane foam or the like will ultimately far too expensive only solutions of cellulose wadding type (there must not be any phenomenal differences in the formula: and all are now fireproof) ...

- only hello for these old energy-consuming buildings: the external insulation to avoid all worries and other bridges of cold.
- the task is however delicate and depends on the dew point.

So do not hesitate to ask pros like Bucheron, or Bidouille. For thermal insulation, it is they who know the last cry. Especially if we want solutions "home made" ... Because it is a company not without risks.

But if there is something "new" we are always happy to learn ... Of course! : Cheesy:

PS: in several places on the woueb it would be said that it is not PU, but on the technical sheet nothing is specified! So no way to find out. You said weird?
http://www.somari-diffusion.com/Fichete ... Efev12.pdf

In summary: it would be waterproof, so blah as said Lumberjack => hello mold! Wouldn't that be PU? Bof, there is still a chemical reaction with a 2K, therefore pollution of ... another nature! Finally, lack of transparency since they seem not to want to tell us what they put in it!

In any case, I tried to fire the PU (after solidification) it does not burn at all. It seems impossible, it burns very slowly but does not burn. On the other hand, it gives off a gas in the contact zone.
0 x
econobrico
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by econobrico » 20/10/13, 15:12

Hello

this polyurethane foam is not unique but it is the first arrival in France seems t it.

There is a European technical opinion for icynene and for 500 demilec sealection. And another site: www.biomousse.com

The difference is that demilec does not hide the polyurethane process unlike Icynene on his site. Yet Icynene is made with a mixture of isocyanate ... So it is a polyurethane.
0 x
econobrico
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Re: Insulation: Your opinions on "Icynene" foam

by econobrico » 02/07/15, 13:29

Hello,

all projected foams are polyurethane (PU). Icynene like the others. Just look at their health data sheets.
See as well www.biomousse.com et www.keepcal.com which are similar and clearly say that they are polyurethane.

Even if the mosses are from oil, the ecological balance is much higher than more natural products because they do not damage and reduce much energy consumption.
0 x
Korben Dallas
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Korben Dallas » 25/07/15, 13:15

My neighbor above my apartment in an old building (early 1900) has created a floor of 10 cm with this type of foam:
- very good sound insulation (the airborne sounds are very well filtered, the footsteps are heavily attenuated), more creaking floor (phew!)
- good thermal insulation for me :-)

Still, the PU has an excellent performance in insulation, one of the best products I think.

Afterwards, I am not sure of the long term resistance of this type of insulation, it seems to "cook" and deteriorate in the long term.
0 x