Attic insulation made with GISOL cotton

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
anne95
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Attic insulation made with GISOL cotton

by anne95 » 06/12/10, 19:58

Hello all ;)

I live in an old stone house (with walls 30 to 40 cm thick) in the Picardy region (not frankly known for its sunshine and atmospheric sweetness). I am very severe asthmatic to the point of needing oxygen during exercise. The attic of my house is insulated with old glass wool dating from the 80s (or even before) placed between the tiles and the paneling.
In winter if I do not heat the room it is freezing and in summer it is the heat wave. So I would like to redo the insulation in my attic. I had several quotes ranging from € 5000 to € 20000. I selected one that I like because they use a loose cotton product (GISOL); it's jean-type cotton bought from Emmaus. They propose to proceed from the outside by injecting cotton 11 cm thick with a layer of polyrethane 6 cm; they did all the calculations to get an R = 5 to get the tax credit. The estimate amounts to 8050 euros all inclusive for 46m2.
Do any of you know this product? I inquired and it turns out that it does not fit into ACERMI certified products while the company that asked me tells me that it is less harmful to me than mineral wools like glass wool or rock wool , which enter and never exit the lungs.
Please help me because I have read quite a few discussions on the forum and I can't get an idea
please
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/12/10, 20:17

I know the insulation by old recycled clothing, on the other hand I do not know the technique which consists in mixing with polyurethane ...

PU is the worst insulator on the ecological balance sheet, I can hardly understand the advantage of mixing it with an eco-friendly insulation because of recycling ...

Then, how will they know the thickness of PU compared to that of cotton?

On the price side it seems correct since there is a removal of the tiles ...
0 x
aerialcastor
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by aerialcastor » 06/12/10, 20:30

You would need a copy to find out what they are doing exactly.

I very much doubt that we can touch the aid with a non-certified insulation.

The Gisol site is very very poor, no technical documentation so difficult to judge.

Must see that polyurethane has no phase shift, for summer it is far from top.

@ Christophe:
I imagine they use PUR panels to make the boxes
0 x
Save a tree, eat a beaver.
It is no use to succeed in life, what it takes is to miss his death.
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 06/12/10, 21:36

polyurethane, it is not very advisable for allergies and asthma see:
line 361 of harmful professional products:
http://www.remcomp.fr/asmanet/asmapro/substances.htm
http://www.remcomp.fr/asmanet/asmapro/f ... thme.htm#3
https://centre.sante.gouv.fr/drass/envi ... action.htm
http://www.em-consulte.com/article/143320
http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=17018192

In principle it is the professionals injecting the polyurethane who take the most risks, but for you I would be careful to avoid.
In the event of a fire, polyurethane is extremely dangerous (poison gas) !!
See the level of protection of workers during installation in this company which mixes ecological and toxic chemistry probably to better convince customers ?????????????????????? ? !! while having an easy practical method.
I am very skeptical.
I am not convinced that old glass wool is more harmful than fresh polyurethane which gives off isocyanates !! !!
I think glass wool is less toxic (large fibers), rock wool is more harmful.

It is not certain that after this insulation you will be much warmer, because the glass wool of the 80s is not so badly insulating, it all depends on its real state, and if the companies are not mounted on the roof to see it in different places, I would not trust their statements.
It could be that there are holes which destroy the insulation by wetting the glass wool by condensation in winter of the water vapor of the air which goes ??????
Finally, your stone walls if not insulated participate in cooling the house, what is the nature of these stones, limestone or other ???

But we all undergo an armada of chemicals as explained by the emission on the F3 at the moment, phthalates and biphenols, accumulated by thousands of nanograms !!
I learn that organic farmers cook organic beets in their plastic packaging !! frightening !!
Avoid on pregnant women, with impact on 3 generations big parents on small children and serious diseases !!
Avoid commercial metal and plastic cans !!
Even plastic water bottles are a problem for snails, more sensitive than us (Sb !!) and impossible to know the composition of the above plastics (secret) !!

Your house can hide other junk, like in my house, and all the houses from the 1960s to 1990, the treatment of wood, frame, paneling, insecticides, with PCP which spreads throughout the house to be breathed (prohibited in 1994s) !!
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentachloroph%C3%A9nol
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traitement ... s_des_bois

see also the poisoned house:
http://la.maison.empoisonnee.pagesperso ... hoi.86.htm
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 07/12/10, 09:05

Christophe wrote:On the price side it seems correct since there is a removal of the tiles ...
It is much more expensive than my estimate at 1500 € for 25cm of cellulose wadding for 110m² (in the attic, American small farms) ...

The big advantage of insuflation is the saving in time and manpower because depositing tiles limited to the points of insuflation.

If total removal of the tiles, I would have a film placed under the roof : Idea: like the one they installed when they put my solar panels on.

For the installation of insulation on an inclined plane (if I understood correctly, you want to isolate a crawling), I would prefer to use semi rigid panels (like wood fibers) because I would fear that the insulation will settle, slip by gravity and lose its effectiveness over time ...
:|
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 07/12/10, 16:47

Wait until you have your first answer before speculating ... : Idea: : Cheesy:
0 x
anne95
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by anne95 » 09/12/10, 12:02

Wow ! I visited all the sites indicated in your posts: I'm cold in the back : Evil: ! Let's stay zen: we eat all of these junk food everywhere, but you might as well be aware of it and avoid swallowing more; so well done to those [like you] who keep us informed. However, the existing glass wool is old, well packed or even crumbled in some places. I think it should be replaced. To find the best technique associated with the best product, I may not have given all the information. My husband checked: there is a rain screen "nailed" to the rafters of the roof, between the tiles and the paneling. We would like to avoid removing the paneling because the attic is furnished and inhabited: that would be too big a job. It is for this reason that we thought to decurl at the insufflation [or injection] points: there is a space of 17cm between tiles and paneling. It is undoubtedly too fair to obtain an R = 5 and it is a shame because the tax credit would have been welcome ... but hey we can do without, provided we have a "clean" product that does not require not too big a site, so an exorbitant estimate. If you have any ideas I'm all ears. : Idea:
My husband will ask the company that mixes green and harmful chemistry why and how. Then I could tell you more. : Lol:
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 09/12/10, 12:22

citro writes:
It is much more expensive than my estimate at 1500 € for 25cm of cellulose wadding for 110m² (in the attic, American small farms) ...

Ask citro how it finds a business at this price of less than € 14 per m2 ????????????????????
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 09/12/10, 23:37

dedeleco wrote:citro writes:

Ask citro how it finds a business at this price of less than € 14 per m2 ????????????????????
I met the manager of the company by chance at a trade show. While most home show exhibitors give me pimples, the flow immediately went with that person. The quote confirmed this good impression.
I must however clarify that the estimate does not include the removal and the landfill of the existing insulation (it seems to me that this service was offered at 5 € per m²).
0 x
anne95
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by anne95 » 10/12/10, 10:39

Hello !
Citro I send you a mp so that you give me if you are OK the coordinates of this craftsman (I think it is not too recommended on the site advertising).
I have an appointment tomorrow for a quote with cellulose wadding. I'll tell you more.
In any case, I am learning a lot about this forum c'est super : Cheesy:
Too bad I am not really a pro of tx like you so I can not bring too much added value on my experience.
0 x