Thermal insulation of a door

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
sebarmageddon
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by sebarmageddon » 07/12/11, 11:30

I just took a small 2mm drill bit and drilled in the thinnest area of ​​the door,
then I pierce, and I feel a hollow, I continue to pierce and nothing,
I open the door to check, and ... I was already on the other side,

therefore, the thinnest area of ​​the door is less than 8mm.

I think the thinnest area, on the corridor side, will be filled with expansive foam, then covered with I don't know what,

maybe i'll buy a bomb this afternoon
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 07/12/11, 11:34

Voila, less than 1cm thick ... it's even worse than I thought so ...

For the expanding foam, you have to make a formwork before otherwise it will not be homogeneous ... I think it will be easier to work with extruded polystyrene!

See the thickness you can put / thickest part ...
0 x
sebarmageddon
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by sebarmageddon » 08/12/11, 12:34

bon,
I bought two bombs of expanding foam,
but I wonder if I should not modify what I thought to do (completely fill the hollow of the door on the corridor side with expansive foam),
indeed, I have the impression that the foam bombs sold now, are big shit, it seems that at the end of 2010, there was a new regulation, however, I find that the foam does not swell that much did it with the old foam bombs ...

so three solutions, I still try to fill the void with the bomb, hoping that it fills completely,

ou

I plate a plywood board on the door, board in which will be drilled some hole to pass the expansive foam (I do not find it a good idea, since the foam may swell a little and distort everything)

ou

I take a panel of expanded polystyrene, which I would place in the hollow of the door on the corridor side, then which will be fixed on its sides by the expansive foam, and to finish the plywood board will be put on the door to hide it all

There, what do you think ?
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 08/12/11, 15:45

Expanded polyurethane is toxic, so to be less, it is probably less expansive !!
Not good to breathe at all carcinogenic !!
No need to put this toxic, just put a wall that leaves the air still on less than 1 cm, as for double glazing !!
So 2 plywood sheets with shims with paper stuck in it, (like soft cardboard egg boxes) to immobilize the air will be much less harmful and as effective !!

Even the lightest possible chipboard (without formaldehyde) will work with a similar air space (6mm to 9mm with cardboard egg carton interlayer).
0 x
sebarmageddon
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by sebarmageddon » 08/12/11, 20:05

good dedeleco, I missed your answer, since I was with my father doing the door,

the chosen solution was to cut the plywood board to the dimensions of the door
fix this board on the door with a few screws on the lathe and in the middle of the door
holes were drilled in several places, to pass the pipe of the foam bombs, and at the same time to see if the foam goes well everywhere

I think that having made several holes, reduced the pressure of the foam by allowing it to go out

the regulations seem to have removed the risks associated with these products

two different brands were used, with two different results, one of the bombs seems to grow over time by filling the vacuum, which deformed the plywood which is bent,
the other bomb seems to spread without growing too large while filling the void, and practically does not deform the plywood

thanks for the help ,
and the next message for more
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 08/12/11, 21:17

the regulations seem to have removed the risks associated with these products

decreased?, but not deleted, do not breathe in this corridor for several months by ventilating it strongly, the time to eliminate the toxic vapors !!

which deformed the plywood which is bent,

which can not be replaced without breaking everything, while a few screws and pieces of cardboard in space would have been enough.
0 x
manet42
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by manet42 » 09/12/11, 10:12

A second solid wood door placed outside would be the solution .... because you always have a fragile and poorly insulated door and more curled by the foam which should not have spread everywhere.
Solidity and air mass in between.
In cold regions, double windows have been used for a long time.

JC
0 x
Continually trying we finally succeed. So more it fails, the more likely it is that it works.
antoinet111
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by antoinet111 » 09/12/11, 18:10

manet42 wrote:A second solid wood door placed outside would be the solution .... because you always have a fragile and poorly insulated door and more curled by the foam which should not have spread everywhere.
Solidity and air mass in between.
In cold regions, double windows have been used for a long time.

JC

this is always the case in Romania, moreover, some clever little guy in France keeps the old ones during the installation of new ones.
0 x
I vote for the writing of concrete post and practicality.
Down the talkers and ceiling fans!
sebarmageddon
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by sebarmageddon » 23/12/11, 11:35

the door insulation works, I feel less cold on the side of the newly insulated door.
the fact that the board placed on the door is curved, is not important, since the insulation works.

the door frame is now one of the weak areas of the insulation, I think that the contact between the exterior and the wood of the frame which is not sufficiently protected by the wall causes this humidity, suddenly, I asks if protecting the door frame by putting wood in front (outside therefore) could help reduce this weakness.

the bottom of this door has no kind of gutter which causes water to pass underneath, making one with a resistant wood would it prevent water from passing under the door?

I put pictures, but my message did not get through, so the pictures are in the econology server, but I don't know how to find them, or do I have to submit them?

so here is the latest news, with the door insulation working.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/12/11, 12:38

sebarmageddon wrote:I put pictures, but my message did not get through, so the pictures are in the econology server, but I don't know how to find them, or do I have to submit them?

Yes unless you indicated your email when uploading ... (the file link is sent by email in this case)
0 x