Thermal insulation of a door

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/12/11, 17:54

He speaks of the wood which constitutes the 2 hollows of the door. It must be about 5 mm ...

If the door is hollow, you can open it from the top and "stuff" it with loose insulation ... like cellulose wadding.

Otherwise put 2 or 4 (front and back) panels of extruded polystyrene (2 cm or 3 cm depending on the thickness you have) in the "thin" white part ... a bit like done on the garage door presented above. ..
0 x
sebarmageddon
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by sebarmageddon » 06/12/11, 18:01

the door would not be full then?
how can i see if there is a vacuum or not in the door?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/12/11, 18:30

Knock Knock knock... : Cheesy:

But the more I look at your photo the more I think it is full (massive 4cm for the pink parts and massive 1 to 2 cm for the white parts).

Logical as it is a door to the outside it must be secured a minimum (2cm of solid is always better than 2 * 0.5 cm + empty), the empty doors are those intended for the interior ...

So you have the solution of polystyrene plating + finishes ...
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 06/12/11, 18:42

These usual doors have a frame around holes, plugged with thin sheets or plates of wood, plastic or sometimes glass, which are thermal colanders, given their extreme finesse, worse than simple glazing !!

What is the thickness of these plates, a priori very little 2mm, in comparison with others.
Just fill with light wood or 1 to 2 cm thick insulation.

A burglar's shoulder blow passes through !!

Obviously airing while cooling will remove condensation !!
Even simpler, remove the source of humidity, more bitches, baths and showers than once a month.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/12/11, 18:47

2mm in wood is not possible ... it would break at the slightest shock!

dedeleco wrote:baths and showers only once a month.

Ah here is the dedeleco method towards energy autonomy!
: Cheesy:
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 06/12/11, 21:01

Well if seen this:
the hollow area of ​​the door, taking the thickness between the outside and the inside, must be 2cm I think, the door being 4cm thick

4cm thick frame and 2cm hollow on each side (visible in the photos) there are 4-2x2 = 0 zero for the door plate !!
I want a little more than 2mm, or 4mm, as for a glass plate, but hardly more, like doors that I have at my home !!

We do not realize it, but these doors, there are everywhere in usual doors !!!
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 06/12/11, 21:54

Rather than understanding a meaning that seems absurd, the best is to understand that the amounts of the frame are 4cm, and the wood thickness (full) of the surfaces is 2cm ...

Now, is it embarrassing?
See it at the bottom of the door which seems more damaged by dogs than by condensation ...
Maybe they snort to get out and heat up the inside of the door?

It is sure that decorative polystyrene stuck inside the panels will not do the month.

A curtain ? Tattered soon too ...
High ventilation?
Open door ? Dogs are made for sleeping outside. : Cheesy:
0 x
sebarmageddon
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by sebarmageddon » 06/12/11, 22:11

Christophe wrote:Knock Knock knock... : Cheesy:

But the more I look at your photo the more I think it is full (massive 4cm for the pink parts and massive 1 to 2 cm for the white parts).

Logical as it is a door to the outside it must be secured a minimum (2cm of solid is always better than 2 * 0.5 cm + empty), the empty doors are those intended for the interior ...

So you have the solution of polystyrene plating + finishes ...

yeah, well, no need to knock knock knock, by pressing towards the middle of the door it sinks a little, the door seems very hollow (the area with the recessed panels

dedeleco wrote:These usual doors have a frame around holes, plugged with thin sheets or plates of wood, plastic or sometimes glass, which are thermal colanders, given their extreme finesse, worse than simple glazing !!

What is the thickness of these plates, a priori very little 2mm, in comparison with others.
Just fill with light wood or 1 to 2 cm thick insulation.

A burglar's shoulder blow passes through !!

Obviously airing while cooling will remove condensation !!
Even simpler, remove the source of humidity, more bitches, baths and showers than once a month.

apparently, this door is like what you describe, sides 4cm thick, and the recessed center which would be panels
it's really a shame to sell such dung doors ...

gegyx wrote:Rather than understanding a meaning that seems absurd, the best is to understand that the amounts of the frame are 4cm, and the wood thickness (full) of the surfaces is 2cm ...

Now, is it embarrassing?
See it at the bottom of the door which seems more damaged by dogs than by condensation ...
Maybe they snort to get out and heat up the inside of the door?

It is sure that decorative polystyrene stuck inside the panels will not do the month.

A curtain ? Tattered soon too ...
High ventilation?
Open door ? Dogs are made for sleeping outside. : Cheesy:

bitches do not scratch this door, it leads to the street, one of the bitches rather knocks on the door to go out, it does not scratch like crazy insisting, the bottom of the door is rather damaged by condensation or poor performance of a painting, although there, I rather have the impression that it was several layers that there was
the bitches sleep in this corridor not to be too cold, moreover being in the corridor, hear them barking, and one of the bitches can knock on the door so that we go out

suddenly, it seems that it is possible to put something in the interior hollow of the door, expensive foam?
how to open the door from above?
the cellulose wadding is not likely to take moisture?
and does the expansive mouse hold moisture?
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 06/12/11, 22:34

Put what you want in insulation, light and not very conductive, like 2cm thick wood formed of flat layers separated by 5mm air space, comparable to triple glazing (except waterproofing).
Or a wooden panel, solid or agglomerated 1 to 2cm thick, quite insulating, even recovered elsewhere, just to try and test.

You will certainly have less condensation, the door surface being less cold, unless you have enormous humidity inside the house.
0 x
dap35
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by dap35 » 07/12/11, 09:05

Hello

I have a similar door at home but with a glass and it is true that it condenses a little when the inside is humid. I plan to put one or more layers of cork stuck in the "hole" to make up the thickness and a plasterboard on top.
I will also double the window.

Thank you for making a return when you have done the operation. Valid for me too

Dap
0 x