Insulation: insulate with straw panels!

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
louphil
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by louphil » 13/05/08, 21:24

Hi Jonule ...

I've been hearing about these famous straw panels for quite some time. I was (and still am) interested in this type of product for exterior insulation. But after obtaining information, the box importing these products was no longer distributing, or was unable to do so. At the time (1 year to 1 and a half years), I had also heard of this local production project towards Chateauroux. Unfortunately it is Arlesienne, and it seems that it is still in the planning stage ... But after this period information, I had turned away from this product.

Also, for my project, I had thought of "cement straw" panels. I had helped a friend twenty years ago to apply it, but I have never seen this type of product again. Presented in the form of panels, this product appeared to be raw straw, very loosely packed but very tangled and stiffened by cement. It was quite fragile and was easily puffed up on the edges, but the quantity of air contained must have made it an excellent insulator, both sound and thermal, provided it was coated after installation ...

Besides, if someone had information about this type of product, I would take it. The name "cement straw" which I affixed it to is quite personal because I do not know its trade name ...
0 x
http://wunic.fr

This is because the speed of light is greater than that of sound,
Some have the brilliant air before the air con ....:D :D :D
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 14/05/08, 11:39

personal, 400 bales of straw by my house (80x80x40) = around 700 € with delivery ...

it gives me a whole roofing of 100m² + a floor of about 50m².

maybe I will find boots 30cm thick ...

the agri should get the hang of it and modify their balers to tamp down to ... 20, 25 cm! and on larger panels!

it would sell well, and avoid installing large rafters, half would be enough and + spaced, etc ...

8)
0 x
louphil
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by louphil » 14/05/08, 12:24

I had thought of the very simple straw bale, which would be far from being the least efficient, but I have a problem with space: I only have 15 cm at most ... So, for the bale of straw is done. Have you ever heard of these straw-cement composite panels? I would have liked to have figures concerning its qualities ...
0 x

I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 14/05/08, 13:21

: Shock: Straw / Cement !!! Horeur!
It's the Elf's marriage to the Devil. : Evil:

When we talk about ecological products, let's try to avoid mixing them with M_ _ _ E!

Lime is an excellent binder which does not diminish the insulating qualities of straw like cement does.

We can also mix the straw with the raw earth, we call it cob or adobe ...

This solves the question of plaster ...

There is also the Fisoland
Well, there are even spring specials. 8) But the thing is that for locals, don't waste gray energy.
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 14/05/08, 14:43

Otherwise, in the same style, there is a guy near my house who launched a concept of insulation based on pine needles.

For more info on this insulator called Fisoland, click here
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
louphil
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by louphil » 14/05/08, 16:51

Thank you for the link fisoland Citro and Targol ... We are therefore from the same corner, so I will be able to take the opportunity to consume without wasting too much gray energy : Cheesy:

Otherwise Citro, you seem to say that cement is a junk ... What are the elements of its composition that make you say that. Must be a lot of lime in there, right? I ask you that because I don't know its composition at all, suspecting that there are even some additives ...

Otherwise it certainly seemed healthier to me (even if less efficient) than good sheets of extruded polystyrene ...
0 x

gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 14/05/08, 17:05

What is the bundle of 1000 l from Fisoland?

Dry, untreated pine needles?

I'm going to order one to make a "mussel eclade".
Giant!

http://huitreostrea.chez-alice.fr/ecladedemoules.html

:D

Ah damn ! Mussels are also gray energy ...

: roll:
0 x
Wish =>
Able to speak normally
without being constantly attacked by some people, who respect nothing, and this impunity.
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 14/05/08, 18:15

: Arrow: gegyx, I advise against it!
Pine needles from Phiso are treated with latex according to a patented process. So for the ride :frown:
Since the time I hear about it, I still haven't eaten it. : Cry:

louphil Cement is made in kilns at very high temperatures. We take this opportunity to burn very sensitive waste, heavy metals, bottom ash and ash from household waste incinerators ...
Cement consumes a LOT of energy for its manufacture, its transport, but in addition, once implemented, its "ANTI-INSULATING" nature is fully expressed.
It causes most thermal bridges, sources of heat loss from our constructions, it prevents them from breathing and causes many moisture problems, mold, bad odors. All these pollutions that we are trying to eliminate painfully with energy-consuming climates and CMVs.

The apotheosis is reached when cement is used as a building material (concrete block, concrete block, walled concrete). : Evil:

Some links to illustrate my point here and especially There on the excellent site THE ALLIANCE for the planet dismantling the site's false advertising arguments blocalians.fr Critics who also prevail for this other site of the cement lobby: infociments.fr : Evil:
0 x
fthanron
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by fthanron » 14/05/08, 18:47

Note on the insulating side of these panels:

So far "I understand" that a more or less compressed material sees its physical characteristics modified.

Valid for insulation: two walls of straw, one 30 cm thick and the other containing the same amount of material but compressed to 5 cm will not have the same insulating power ... so ask about insulating capacity of compressed panels.

Mhh, I try to be concrete without having to open my books then if that deserves further explanations ask and I would make the effort! O)

@+
0 x
Frederic