Energivore house insulation - request advice

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
MargotM
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Energivore house insulation - request advice

by MargotM » 27/01/11, 09:46

Hello,
We just bought and live in a house that is not isolated at all.
Then: house of the year 1972.
Total basement, convertible attic space (there are even stairs).
Electric heating : Evil:
According to the DPE:
Class G: 773 kWhEP / m3.
In addition, according to DPE, no matter what work we do, we will always stay in class G !!! Is it possible ?
What to start with ? Insulation of the attic I think. But with what? I am very interested in ecological insulation, but the price scares me.
After each passage of the craftsmen I am more and more lost.
Thanks for your advices.
0 x
moby25
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by moby25 » 27/01/11, 11:00

Hello

Difficult to answer this question easily.

First, set aside this speudo DPE ...

When you say house not isolated, what does that mean?

Nothing in the attic at all? it would still surprise me.

We should first analyze the existing and share it with us.
0 x
MargotM
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by MargotM » 27/01/11, 12:22

It surprises everyone, but there is nothing except paneling ...
Original windows, single glazing, wood. No external insulation, no floor.
Image[/ Img]

0 x
Christophe

Re: Insulation house energivore - request advice

by Christophe » 27/01/11, 12:35

Several remarks:

a)
MargotM wrote:In addition, according to DPE, no matter what work we do, we will always stay in class G !!! Is it possible ?

To say that is anything: if nothing is isolated, you can always improve things !!

b) As you are in electric heating, the "real" consumption is to be divided by 2.58 we "fall" therefore to 773 / 2.58 = 300 kWH / m² therefore in E, classification that you would have if you were heating with gas or oil.

Heating an electric house without insulation is in any case crazy ...

The "vivrelec" houses had the advantage of being "relatively well" insulated compared to other houses built in the 80s and 90s ...

But the "good" currently is just mediocre ... and in RT2012 it is very insufficient ...

c) The photos of your uninsulated inhabited attic ... : Shock: : Shock: : Shock: are the proof that you can improve things !! I feel that it will shock econologists ...

It should no longer be allowed to do that! Especially since the renovation in pvc paneling seems recent ...

Finally, unless you live in Corsica or in the DOM?

d) There are ecological insulation cheaper than chemical insulation!

Examples:
https://www.econologie.com/ouate-de-cell ... -3763.html

Loose rock wool is more expensive than cellulose, see image (LM catalog) below: at equivalent thermal resistance, more than € 20 / m² is obtained for loose rock wool!

Do not hesitate to abuse https://www.econologie.com/forums/search.php and search https://www.econologie.com/forums/confort-th ... -vf67.html

e) In your case, for the attic, in natural I would put semi rigid wood wool panels or semi rigid cellulose wadding with vapor barrier on the inhabited side.

ps: is your DPE in m3?
0 x
moby25
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by moby25 » 27/01/11, 13:17

It must indeed start with the attic, responsible for the biggest heat losses in the house.

It will be necessary to move the pvc facing (or other) inward in order to be able to install a fairly thick insulation. The insulation between the rafters will be insufficient in your case. It will be necessary to isolate between failures.

To give an idea:

There will therefore be a loss of area (Carrez law) but a huge gain in heating consumption!

To insulate "ecological", there are indeed rigid wood wool panels (or semi-rigid) but that may be expensive. Much more than with glass wool.

Question: you had not seen that the house was not isolated at all?
0 x
MargotM
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by MargotM » 27/01/11, 13:26

The attic is not inhabited, rather habitable with work. I also do not understand the procedures of the former owners ...
I live in IDF.

Cellulose wadding may be cheaper in bulk, but I would need the panels and that changes the price. Unless you know or get cheaper.
We would like to insulate by ourselves.

My DPE is indeed in m3.

I have a small baby and not much time, but as soon as I have a moment I "jump" on the computer and use the search engine. There are so many different situations, by the time I find something for myself ... That's why I decided to discuss my problem separately ...
0 x
moby25
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by moby25 » 27/01/11, 13:29

You have to know if you plan to build the attic or not. This changes the isolation method.

If inhabited attic -> insulation of roof crawls

Uninhabited attic -> floor insulation.

What is the floor area of ​​the attic?

In your case, the former owners may have wanted to make their attic more attractive aesthetically.
0 x
MargotM
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by MargotM » 27/01/11, 13:43

Yes, we saw that the house is not isolated, but as it is our first we did not realize what we were getting into ...
We want to live in the attic, the floor area is 90 m2 and the area to be insulated (roof) approx. 190m2 (according to a quote we had).
0 x
moby25
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by moby25 » 27/01/11, 14:04

Yes, therefore insulation of the crawlers.

After all depend on the budget ...

Tight = glass wool / rock

Otherwise wood wool etc ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 27/01/11, 14:11

Isn't it inhabited?

Well, I've never seen an attic with such finishes!

The former owner probably intended to do other work, right?

Unless he thought these paneling was going to ... isolate ???? (it isolates but very little) :?:
0 x