Free insulation of attics lost!

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
Christophe

Free insulation of attics lost!

by Christophe » 14/12/09, 13:33

How to isolate a lost volume for free? Simply with plastic or "chemical" waste !!

So yesterday I started (because in the end we did not have enough raw material) to almost free of charge to isolate the floor of a lost attic thanks to about 2 years of "shit" storage: plastic bags, polystyrene packaging and other bullshit ... and styrofoam scraps... In short, it's direct recycling in isolation! It is crazy the volume of stuff that we have accumulated and yet we do not force on the CONsommation (well there is a lot of airbag protection bag from suppliers).

The trick is based on the fact that there is a lot of air trapped in this kind of waste and that this diagram shows that a vertical air gap of 40 mm is the optimum in terms of insulation. So it is enough to try to maintain air in air pockets of 30 to 40 mm to obtain a "good insulator":

So I made a pile of 30 to 50 cm (it depends on the location and the type of waste) of plastic and chemical waste of all kinds. So obviously it's not worth 25 cm of "real" insulation (although ...) but it's 100% free and it reduces waste (ultimate for some). It's also limited to (really) lost attics ...

I was missing a bit of "material" so I would go on and add a little layer later!

Well it's a little messy but hey we're boring!

ps: by the way if someone has a method (simple and accessible) to determine the real R of an insulating material ca interests me!
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 14/12/09, 13:41

Not stupid! To develop!
At home, I work a little like that :D
Recently, I recovered a lot of pellet vermiculite that my neighbor threw in the trash
It's over in the attic :D
I have to take a picture
0 x
bernardd
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bernardd » 14/12/09, 14:15

Personally, full of plastic in the attic, in case of fire ...
0 x
See you soon !
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 14/12/09, 14:30

bernardd wrote:Personally, full of plastic in the attic, in case of fire ...

Well seen...
Answer: drown the plastic in an anti fire thing?
Clay mixed with straw?
0 x
Lietseu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Lietseu » 14/12/09, 14:48

+ 1 the risk of fire is seriously increased, but hey ... it must be able to arrange that no?

As Lejustemilieu suggests a damper over and hop, since as rightly said Christophe, these are lost roofs ...

Meow ...
0 x
By removing Human Nature, he was far from his nature! Lietseu
"The power of love, must be stronger than the love of power" contemporary Lie Tzu?
One sees clearly only with the heart, the essential is invisible to the eyes ...
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 14/12/09, 15:40

The idea is not bad but put it relatively loose does not seem very optimal ...

1) In these attics there is a large volume of air. In itself this is the best "free" material available locally. It is he that I propose to use for the roof sections (point 4)
2) Suggestion: isolate the walls, so you have a double insulation a) against the wall, b) the volume of air itself (amha it can not be more rational) ...

3) Based on the suggestion above, how to "hold" the insulation (PE Styro etc). You can try to get a polyurethane foam bomb, it sticks very well ... not necessary to put a lot of it (on the other hand I do not know the compatibility but even if it melts the sagex a little, it should do it) ...)

4) the plastic films can be stretched between joists and glued with double-sided tape intended for gluing the vapor barriers on the roof (or better, with tar ...). Once a first film has been placed, fix the joists on top of it again, the first then stretch a second plastic film again. Thus, the insulation will be formed by the air held captive between the two films. ... Mébon it will not breathe in this area ... Or you have to develop the idea with an air circulation from one "caisson to another", for example by drilling holes in the joists so that the air circulates in a kind of circuit (and put at the end a kind of exchanger with filter ... one more thing to calculate ...)

At least that would not make you lose a storage space available on the ground.

It's digging.

[edit: see next post]
Last edited by Obamot the 14 / 12 / 09, 18: 31, 1 edited once.
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 14/12/09, 16:18

I spent a few days at the Charleroi container park: they collect the frigolite (expanded polystyrene), put it in large bags (2 m high or almost) and send it back to a company that recycles it.
Personally, I do not think your small pneumatic cushions are very insulating: I would reduce the frigolite in small pieces and I would try to agglomerate with glue wallpaper, heavy quality.
For the rest, I would remain cautious: the heterogeneous materials are not classified in fire resistance.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/12/09, 18:26

bernardd wrote:Personally, full of plastic in the attic, in case of fire ...

"Not" you mean?

Small downside: it is not the risk of fire is increased but it is the risk of pollution / intoxication in case of fire!

But everything is "mineral" around this room (no wooden structure, no beam or floor) ... so for the flames to get there it is already that the rest of the house is really very bad ...

In addition, bulk plastic is no worse than expanded or extruded polystyrene still widely used ... and approved recess!

Be careful, this is a "free" solution so do not ask it to have the performance of a commercial product ... especially not at equivalent thickness but 50 to 60 cm of this "mix" in my opinion insulates as well as 20 at 30 cm of "classic" insulation

I thought maybe to cover all the old cartons ...

Otherwise I checked, no rodent hole and even if there was ... zon job to reduce everything in lil end, which would be even an advantage in my case!

ps: Obamot, I forgot to specify (but it is still visible), the walls to exterieures (bottom and crawling) are in cellular concrete (30 cm for the wall, 35 cm about for the roof)
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 14/12/09, 18:33

already seen and then
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/12/09, 18:42

Frankly this is the kind of answer that is useless, you were right about the fir trees ... : Mrgreen:
0 x