Home and Orientation: Optimizing Architecture

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
florimuch43
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Home and Orientation: Optimizing Architecture

by florimuch43 » 28/05/07, 20:35

How to build a house with a nice view full west and not to suffer from the heat in summer ... We would like to put bay windows or large window to enjoy this magnificent view that we have but ... it seems that not cool summer western exposure. Please answer us if you have the quick fix. : Lol:
0 x
Christophe

Re: house and orientation ...

by Christophe » 28/05/07, 20:45

florimuch43 wrote: it seems that not cool in summer the western exposure.

Another legend of oil sellers? : Mrgreen:

Otherwise I answered (in part) your question here: https://www.econologie.com/forums/maison-ori ... t3666.html
0 x
Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 29/05/07, 12:45

Well, it's simple:

A balcony above to hide the sun's rays over 35 ° from the horizon (no less or no energy recovery in winter) and / or deciduous trees, but there the view is affected

if not, there is also the horizontal blind coupled to a sunshine (and wind if you don't want to explode it) probe and a temperature comparator

And still others to invent, just think about it :D
0 x
"Consumption is similar to a search consolation, a way to fill a growing existential void. With, the key, a lot of frustration and a little guilt, increasing the environmental awareness." (Gérard Mermet)
OUCH, OUILLE, OUCH, AAHH! ^ _ ^
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 29/05/07, 13:09

: Arrow: I would like vertical shutters.
With solar tracking for winter and "reverse tracking" for summer.

The idea being to let pass
- light and direct heat in winter
et
- indirect light and heat shielding to avoid the greenhouse effect on the glazing.

Obviously this is placed on the outside.
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 29/05/07, 14:59

As already explained above by my - very competent - colleagues, there are many solutions to enjoy the sun in winter but avoid cooking in summer.
  • The "cap" is a fixed horizontal opaque surface placed above the berries outside and the size of which will be designed to cut the rays of the sun when it is high in the sky (summer) and let them pass in winter.
  • Deciduous vegetation whose leaves are present in summer but not in winter can play the same role.
  • Finally protective devices OUTDOORS automated or not can play the same role.

It is obvious that these different elements can be combined with one another. We can, for example replace the cap with a horizontal pergola above the berries on which grows a wisteria (or other deciduous climber).

However, contrary to what Bolton069 says in the other post, I believe that it can be very interesting to favor materials with high thermal inertia behind the bay windows. This is also one of the major techniques of passive solar. If the berries are properly studied, it can be an excellent calorie intake.

What about west orientation, it is, after the south, the best orientation because it recovers the intakes of the afternoon which are higher than those of the morning. On the other hand, it is really necessary to study the trick (find the solar charts of your area) because the sun of the west is more grazing (even in summer) seen that it sets. The summer protections must therefore be adapted to this orientation.

Next, another element to take into account: in general, a nice view implies a clear space and therefore potentially strong winds. You must also study this so that the losses from your glazing do not fully compensate for the solar gains.
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 29/05/07, 22:10

Targol wrote:As already explained above by my - very competent - colleagues, there are many solutions to enjoy the sun in winter but avoid cooking in summer.

You seem to be a friend, am I mistaken?
0 x
"Consumption is similar to a search consolation, a way to fill a growing existential void. With, the key, a lot of frustration and a little guilt, increasing the environmental awareness." (Gérard Mermet)
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 30/05/07, 00:13

Capt_Maloche wrote:
Targol wrote:As already explained above by my - very competent - colleagues, ...

You seem to be a friend, am I mistaken?

Yes, you're wrong ... Our Targol is above all, a virtuoso of the keyboard, a prince of the processor, high priest of the quarter mothers ...
I will say no more ... : Cheesy:
0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: House and orientation: optimize the architecture

by jean63 » 30/05/07, 00:27

florimuch43 wrote:How to build a house with a nice view full west and not to suffer from the heat in summer ... We would like to put bay windows or large window to enjoy this magnificent view that we have but ... it seems that not cool summer western exposure. Please answer us if you have the quick fix. : Lol:

What I did on the bay window facing West: I have a roller shutter with electric motor on the bay window and also a blind with electric motor above the terrace + a 2nd blind fixed on the pergola inclined towards the west and which allows at the end of the day to prevent the sun's rays from reaching the bay window (greenhouse effect) by tilting as much as possible vertically (obscured view, but terrace available for deckchair or meal).

With these systems it is very manageable: shutters lowered during very hot weather, blinds deployed on normal sunny days. But this has a cost of course. It is necessary to take blinds with rolled up protection in a trunk (which makes it possible to protect the fabric in folded position: rain, various bad weather).

We have been doing this for over 20 years. The advantage of the blind is to let in a maximum of light in the morning until noon as long as the sun has not exceeded the zenith.

So much for my solutions.
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 30/05/07, 10:42

Capt_Maloche wrote:You seem to be a friend, am I mistaken?

As Citro has already said, I am a computer scientist, but my dream would be to resume (in one way or another) the architectural studies that I had started but not finished in order to open a firm of bio-climatic architecture.

While waiting to be able to fulfill this dream, I inquire, I read, I compare.
Hence my title in this forum of "amateur bioclimatologist" : Wink:
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 30/05/07, 23:24

That's right, not easy to resume studies in the evening classes when you already have a job

It is doable with a lot of will, my uncle finished his archi studies like that

He is now independent in Nice

AT WORK !
0 x