Heating electricity or gas in addition to a wood stove

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
agarros
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Heating electricity or gas in addition to a wood stove

by agarros » 19/11/13, 14:28

Hello,

We have just purchased an old house in the surroundings of Bordeaux and we are asking ourselves a few questions about the heating method that I would like to share with you.

This house has a 10-15 year old town gas boiler used for heating and DHW.
We are going to do some work and in particular review the layout of the rooms and we will therefore have to review the distribution of the heaters. In addition, we are going to install in this house a wood stove which will be central in the house and we will use as main heating.

My question is therefore, given the work that we have to do on the current installation and that our main heating will be the stove, is it not better to switch to a hot water tank for DHW and electric heaters?
(more than in simplicity of work, my question concerns rather the costs of the work then later).

Any advice is welcome.

Thank you
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 19/11/13, 14:56

If it is really an auxiliary heater, the electric will undoubtedly be more economical, both in installation cost and in maintenance, which will compensate for the slightly higher price of the energy consumed. .

But for this, the electric heating must be turned on only a few days a year :!:

Be careful with the wood stove to the difficulty of distributing the heat: if it must be 30 ° in the dining room to obtain 15 ° in the bedrooms and the bathroom, we end up turning on the "back-up" heating. "several hours a day and the cost of energy then becomes significant :|

For DHW, the investment difference between gas and electricity is lower and energy consumption higher. The interest of going electric would be mainly to save the gas subscription (and therefore not to use gas for cooking) ... unless you consider a hot water stove to produce DHW in winter 8)
0 x
agarros
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by agarros » 24/11/13, 21:53

Hello Gaston and thank you for the answer,

Indeed, we had not considered the solution of boiler stove or boiler insert but after having inquired a little it is a solution that seems interesting.
Maybe not for DHW but rather coupled with the gas boiler to supply the heaters.

From what I have been able to see, for the DHW, you have to install a superheating tank (security question?) But we will not have the place to put it in the house.
Are there systems that can connect directly to the boiler? (without compromising safety in the event of a power cut or other of course).

While searching a bit, I came across the model from Jidé: Aqua Air Flow Hydro. Anyone know? (I did not find any trace of it on the forum).

Thank you in advance
0 x