Heating and Insulation of an old building

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 15/10/13, 15:23

I replaced the 3.6 V lithium battery which was soldered on the card (and which displayed 0.6 V.) with a box with 3 AA ni-mh batteries. At nominal voltage it is 3.6 V. (4 V. at measurement).

But it does not work : Cry:

Nothing is displayed, and all relays remain open.

Anyone know this kind of bug :?:

Question:

In auto mode, the boiler works above 60 °.
In manual mode I set it to 50 ° t ° of DHW.

During efficiency measurements made by the chimney sweep and by the maintenance service, the measured (calculated) efficiency is always better when the boiler is less hot (between 5% to 8% of losses).

Why does autopilot keep the boiler at a higher temperature than that required for hot water production
:?:
0 x
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 15/10/13, 21:30

I will try to develop the ideas that germinated.

To put a gas burner in my current boiler does not seem to me judicious, I prefer a condensing boiler.

In another room, on the other side of the wall, I have a gas pipe installed and a flue, which dates from an old gas water heater.

It is outside the boiler room, I can install a gas boiler of 19 kW max. It is much cheaper than installing a more powerful gas boiler in the boiler room.

Instead of the current boiler, can I install a 15 kW pellet boiler, with either storage in the adjoining room with a worm screw, or outside with gravity feed?

In my living room fireplace, which is currently out of use, I install a hydro stove with logs, like an Alpenofen which sends 4.5 kW into the water, it is an exchanger with 1 inch steel outlets. It is just above the boiler, there is only the floor to cross.

On the roof, exposed S, SE, solar panels with a buffer (1500 l for starters ..?) Which will be placed next to the boiler, pile pile below the chimney. It remains to make the plan of the whole ...

There I will need your lights, because my antique installation has the advantage of having been designed in thermosiphon, the circulator was added after.

The sections are big, 3/4 "for the radiators, so it circulates well and the water leaving the boiler rarely exceeds 50 ° (in my grandfather's time, it was 45 ° maximum, now people have become cozy ...).

Now I have a question:

I read and understood all the advantages of a system of solar panels with emptying and automatic filling, and today even I was presented with a quote, with 140 liters of antifreeze ...

In self-draining panels, what is circulating? closed circuit water? water from an existing circuit? how do you get the air out?

:?: :?:

So what do you think of my plan?

Complex, but I can use existing infrastructure.

Oversized (19 + 15 + 4)> 35

but I can turn without gas or without pellets

In addition, I will replace 40 m2 of glass, so save around 100 W / K. On very cold days, delta t 25 °, it is 2.5 kW less for birds.
0 x
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 15/10/13, 22:44

I just made the statement of the boiler book (which begins with the old boiler).

Since December 23, 1995, the date of commissioning, it has drunk exactly 116 liters of fuel oil ...
0 x
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 30/11/13, 13:28

Hello,

I haven't written anything since, because I haven't started yet ...

I still understood a little better how my boiler works, because I continue to adjust it manually. I get up before the others to go up the temperature :P .

I calibrated the ntc probe of the water heater in a pan, and I make readings on different heights (1.25m. At the bottom).

In the afternoon, and possibly. in the middle of the night, when the temp at -90cm arrives at 25 ° (47 ° at the top) I half close the v4v and I switch on the DHW circulator and raise the boiler to 60 °. After about 1 hour the DHW arrives at 55 ° over the entire height and I return to heating mode with the boiler at approximately 45 ° and the v4v fully open.

Today I reconnected the DHW pump when the DHW temperature = heating temperature, will we see if that is enough?

I also did an on-off reading in heating mode but 50 ° boiler / 45 ° heating. (v4v to 3/4), t ° ext -2 °, t ° int 17 °

Run 4 min 20 ", stop 2 min 20" ... I would prefer a longer cycle.

that's 65% of usage time for 35kW, so 22 kW of average power (without DHW).

These last two weeks I have consumed 400l. fuel oil.

I expose all these figures here to find them, I will try to group them later, I also make daily measurements of the walls and windows int-ext to be able to compare afterwards.

A+ :D

Ps: the 120 liters that this energy-intensive building burned in 000 years, a 18-seat airbus burns them in 400 hours ...
0 x
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 30/11/13, 13:49

If I am not mistaken, 300l of water mounted 30 ° in 1 hour is 10kW.

How do you calculate the power of an exchanger?
0 x
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 07/12/13, 12:55

Hello,

Here are some pictures to color the subject,
NE facade
NO facade
SE facade
SO facade
End of the roof
Detail of a radiator, I measured the temperature of the exterior wall with or without a reflector:
External wall (far from the radiator) 0 °,
outside temperature behind 4 ° radiator,
outside temperature with 2.3 ° reflector,
outside wall temperature with 3cm roofmat + 1.8 ° reflector.
My workshop, I have 10 meters to walk to work :P
A+

:D
0 x
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 15/12/13, 22:48

Hi,

I found this link which seems interesting to calculate the heat loss of a wall.

http://calculis.net/resistance-thermique#resultat

I made a spreadsheet, with a ladle, and I arrive at the same result as my fuel oil consumption ...
I forgot the verandas, I need to refine the measurements of the facades.

A+
0 x
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 25/12/13, 13:54

Hello everyone,

I did a separate topic about the solar part,
right here: https://www.econologie.com/forums/post267622.html#267622

I continue here on the heating side, I made a schematic diagram.
With DIA, thank you forum, I do not master yet but it will come, I hope.: Lol:
By the way, what tool do you use to make lines (pipes) and jumps of tubes?

The gas boiler has its own circulator.
The 4-way mixing valves are in principle not 100% waterproof, my boiler in summer works closed v4v to make the DHW and its expansion passes through the v4v.
For the buffer, given the volume, a minimum passage or a bypass is required, for operation in summer (solar storage).
0 x