Solar film on windows against overheating in summer?

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
peak
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Solar film on windows against overheating in summer?

by peak » 30/06/11, 11:55

Hello,
I'm looking for advice on solar films. It's plastic films that stick to the windows and are supposed to repel the heat of summer outside (I have 2 windows facing south west in single double glazing, and it's 2 heat sinks! ) Does it work ? Are we losing brightness? .... I saw a lot of offers on the internet, but all the info comes from manufacturers and sellers ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/06/11, 12:02

I don't know these films very well: is it removable? If not, will this limit solar gains also in winter? I presume that is what we put on the internal face of the glazing called 4 seasons? The concern is precisely that the solar gains in winter are limited.

So a blind or curtain might be better, right?

At home, at the moment, in the afternoon, I leave the curtains of the bay windows West closed ... otherwise in the evening, it is more than 30 ° upstairs ...

:|
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 30/06/11, 13:04

these films generally contain metallic microparticles which partially reflect light.

The brightness therefore decreases a little.

Winter solar gains are also reduced, but blind / shutters closed, the reflective nature of the film retains a little more the infrared emitted by the interior of the building ...
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 30/06/11, 13:39

For smaller windows (roof window type), you can choose your films in an auto store.
Generally there is the choice of shade, and the specifications on the packaging.
Must see if the prices are adequate ...
This sticks with water or soapy water and a squeegee.

8)
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/06/11, 14:02

Ah the house tuned by Gegyx !! Class !!

This is where we put the bass Megabooster? : Mrgreen:
0 x
peak
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by peak » 30/06/11, 14:18

Thank you for your answers.
No shutters because these are fixed bays that I cannot open.
In addition it is 2 narrow and very high windows (1.20 m, 0.60 wide), so no blind above, it would be really too ugly.
The best would be a roof overhang (marquise style), but on the whole facade it will be expensive!
I know I'm going to lose a little bit in winter, but I have other windows to the east and south, so no big deal
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/06/11, 14:25

pico wrote:The best would be a roof overhang (marquise style), but on the whole facade it will be expensive!

Uh, isn't that what we call a blind? There are even removable and motorized ones (er for 40 years?)! :D We have one on the south facing facade ... it works well to limit overheating!

After that it is more expensive than the films to stick ...

But an interior blind (Venetian style) it is not necessarily ... after it is on that an interior blind it obscures more than a film but it will be much more effective too !!

In my opinion if with the film, you limit the large maximum of 20-30% solar gain, it will remain in this case, all the same about 500W per m² of glazing !! What do the vendors' docs say?

So you see but in my opinion you will have to choose between light and heat ...
Last edited by Christophe the 30 / 06 / 11, 14: 59, 2 edited once.
0 x
aerialcastor
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by aerialcastor » 30/06/11, 14:35

We will still say that I quibble but a marquise is a cap in wrought iron and glass it is not the most suitable.
Better a pergola ....

For the Venetian blind it is not the most effective. It is best to block the radiation before it enters.
In the case of an interior blind, it is absolutely necessary to choose one that reflects the radiation outside (aluminum top or white).
0 x
Save a tree, eat a beaver.
It is no use to succeed in life, what it takes is to miss his death.
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/06/11, 14:57

Yes better an external blind for the summer but much more expensive!

For winter, a Venetian blind can contribute, modestly to the improvement of insulation in winter by creating an additional air space at the level of the window! See this topic: https://www.econologie.com/forums/ameliorer- ... t8696.html

aerialcastor wrote:In the case of an interior blind, it is absolutely necessary to choose one that reflects the radiation outside (aluminum top or white).

Well, that's what I personally call a Venetian blind, with the tilting horizontal slats.

Some have faces with distinct properties / colors (one summer and one winter).

In any case, you can tilt as you want ...

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Store_v%C3%A9nitien
0 x
benjifous
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by benjifous » 08/07/11, 09:36

Attention with the films, certainly they make lose in luminosity but there is also the animal factor to be taken into account if the windows are accessible to them. Indeed, a cat or a dog often tends to scratch the windows and there is a big risk of tearing the films. I'll let you imagine what happens once they have found a new game, when they have started to make ends meet ...
0 x

Back to "Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ..."