Floor temperature difference

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
airsp
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Floor temperature difference

by airsp » 07/12/10, 10:36

Hello,

In my house, the floor temperature is about 18 ° C while on the ceiling (2,70m) it reaches 38 ° C.

The attic is "insulated" with 20 cm of rock wool (4 years old).

The floor is natural stone.

How to avoid this difference in temperature?

Thank you
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 07/12/10, 11:04

put a ceiling fan or make a vmc style duct that would take the air to the ceiling to rush to the ground.
0 x
Click my signature
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 07/12/10, 12:28

In my house, the floor temperature is about 18 ° C while on the ceiling (2,70m) it reaches 38 ° C.
The attic is "insulated" with 20 cm of rock wool (4 years old).
The floor is natural stone.
How to avoid this difference in temperature?

Isolate the soil stone as well as the ceiling and the attic.
Already, put carpet on the floor would be good to decrease the difference.
If not, what are you heating with ???
Electricity with radiators that do not stir the air ???
In this case use cheap fan heaters that circulate the air especially by putting them upwards downwards, effective solution.
All of this radiators blowing at 10 to 20 € can operate in unheated fans, some at low speed without noise.
The tropical fans would be nice.
If you have central heating radiators, they do not activate the natural convection that cycles the warm air loop lightened up where cooling the colder air comes down.
In your case, the hot air at the top is never cooled and so stays up blocked.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayleigh-B ... convection
http://convection.ifrance.com/
So either you ventilate gently, either you isolate the soil, either you cool some portions of the ceiling, (you do not have a thermal bridge and so if you create one, you start the convection) to have convection rolls that make the hot air come down.

If you heat with an insert or a stove, you can with an exchanger on it, circulate the hot air with ducts like at home which blows the air heated by the insert in height.
So never this problem.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 07/12/10, 18:09

38 ° C? Bigre ... Do not you mean 28 ° C? : Shock: : Shock:
How do you measure?

At home, we have a mezzanine about 4m high with a wood stove at the bottom (opposite side to the mezzanine). We do not exceed 25-26 ° C above the stove ... when it is 20 ° C on the ground.

At the same time, there is 22 ° C on the mezzanine (about 3m height / floor) on the wall opposite the stove.

In short, I think we can leave, in our case on a delta of 1 ° C per m height ...
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 07/12/10, 18:31

Christophe wrote:In short, I think we can leave, in our case on a delta of 1 ° C per m height ...
It must depend on the type of heating: your stove must ensure a convection strong enough to stir the air of the room, but with another type of heating :?:

In all cases, the solution will go through the mixing of air that stagnates under the ceiling.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 07/12/10, 18:46

Ben a stove ca radiates (T ° more uniform) but it also makes a lot of convection, where the delta ...

No heating can really prevent convection of air so the delta following the height.

20 ° C delta on 2.7m height, isolated ceiling, it seems really unrealistic ... but hey as you say it depends on the configuration ... but still ...
0 x
zorglub
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by zorglub » 07/12/10, 21:20

seeing this subject, I took my "thermoflash" and made some measurements in the center of the rooms
in the living room with 20.5 ° ceiling, on parquet flooring 19.1 °
in the kitchen ceiling 21.2 °, tiled floor without insulation 17 °
to the heating source (oil stove) in a ceiling corridor 34.2 °, on the floor 24.8 ° to 1.5 m of the stove
Note that I installed a "house" double CMV with circulation of hot air and recycling / reheating of the partly new and recycled air. the new and recycled air is heated to between 8 ° and 25 ° depending on the outside temperature by preheating on a fan coil (collected air) + heat recuperator in the chimney pipe (copper tube coil). this system also preheats my DHW
the heat distribution has been significantly improved since this installation
0 x
every morning you look naked in a large ice after 3 minutes you will see that your home and your worst picture ......
airsp
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by airsp » 12/12/10, 11:07

Thank you for your answers.

I warm up with a wood stove.

Suddenly, I think seriously put a hot air distribution system.

Sampling near the stove, distribution in the rooms.

What products do you recommend?

In a practical way, I would reject the warm air through the ceiling.
Is it better to reject it on the ground?

Finally, what are the products of good quality (power consumption, noise ...)

Will taking a vmc engine suffice?

Thank you
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/12/10, 11:44

zorglub wrote:to the heating source (oil stove) in a ceiling corridor 34.2 °, on the floor 24.8 ° to 1.5 m of the stove

So you have a high T ° at the ceiling but only 10 ° C delta ... I continue to believe that 20 ° C is really a lot but no matter it's not the debate.

airsp wrote:Is it better to reject it on the ground?

Absolutely

Yes a VMC simple flow (50 €) would suffice but beware the price 1er are really noisy, so if you can not put it in an unmanned room, will take into account this fact.

Otherwise you can use 1 simple model big air exhaust fan (at least 125mm).

To begin, you can test with a fan foot fan that would blow on the stove ...

We continue here https://www.econologie.com/forums/kit-distri ... 10259.html
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 12/12/10, 12:18

Any heating trade sells stoves and inserts with the possibility of circulating the hot air to the rooms and the living room with ducts and powerful circulator, usable without changing the stove by taking the hot air from the ceiling. Uncommon, but that will work well for you with the hot air stuck on the ceiling.

Me, I use with inserts and exchanger in the insert. We heat very fast.
An electric radiator blowing at 10 € used in fan mode alone without heating makes a good fan, especially placed near the ceiling blowing downit will be effective to standardize !!
0 x