Heating curve in wet weather

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
Phil532140
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Heating curve in wet weather

by Phil532140 » 03/04/18, 18:59

Hello,
My heat curve looks good on my pellet boiler when the weather is dry. On the other hand, as soon as the rain arrives, I have the impression that it is no longer "strong" enough to give me 19 °: Is this normal?
Thank you for your feedback.
Philippe.
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Heating curve in wet weather

by dirk pitt » 03/04/18, 19:55

the heating slope does not have much to do with humidity.
the thermal losses of a building are proportional to the temperature difference between interior and exterior in first approximation.
a little raised in case of winds but humidity, I do not see.
however, thermal comfort is a function of humidity.
0 x
Click my signature
Phil532140
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Phil532140 » 03/04/18, 20:31

Ah yes Dirk precisely the wind accompanies the rain very often at home ... So it can lower the inner T ° with the same heating curve?
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 04/04/18, 10:30

Dirk Pitt wrote:a little raised in case of winds but humidity, I do not see.
It is possible that the wet walls increase (a little) the thermal losses compared to dry walls (on the windows, the effect is sensitive).

Phil532140 wrote:Ah yes Dirk precisely the wind accompanies the rain very often at home ... So it can lower the inner T ° with the same heating curve?
Yes, without a doubt.

The only way to ensure a constant temperature in any outdoor conditions is the indoor thermostat associated with a boiler (a little) more powerful than necessary.

The other methods (external probes, heating curve, ...) make it possible to minimize the consumption but at the price of approximation in the regulation of the interior temperature.
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 04/04/18, 11:11

Gaston wrote:The only way to ensure a constant temperature in any outdoor conditions is the indoor thermostat associated with a boiler (a little) more powerful than necessary.

The other methods (external probes, heating curve, ...) make it possible to minimize the consumption but at the price of approximation in the regulation of the interior temperature.

Precision: the power has influence only on the speed of rise in temperature in the house except known under-sizing which is very very rare.
to make a talking image: the house is a pierced bucket that the boiler maintains at a certain level of filling.
in most cases, except very cold and very poorly insulated house, the power of the boiler is sufficient to maintain a "level" in the pierced bucket. on the other hand it can be more or less fast to reach this level if you come from a lower level (reduced at night for example)
the indoor thermostat would be like a level probe.
on a regulation with external probe, it is necessary to think well to regulate the coefficient of influence of the INNER probe.

[edit: Did67 to fix a quote tag. No change of text]
1 x

Click my signature
Did67

by Did67 » 04/04/18, 12:03

1) If the drop in comfort is significant when there is wind, one has to wonder about "leaks" by drafts (badly jointed frames?).

It may be added that for example walls exposed west, struck by the rain, are colder on the surface by evaporation of water. The fact that the external probe, placed in the dry, generally in the north, does not perceive either.

These two additional sources of losses put the regulation in the cabbages, because it always calculates on the basis of the only data which it has, the temperature recorded in the north and the dry one!

2) Indeed, the external sensor does not perceive these additional leaks and does not correct the resulting drop in temp.

3) Hence the interest, in addition, to have an internal room sensor, which "corrects" the observed deviation.

To take again the metaphor of the leaking bucket, the phenomena indicated in 1 ° enlarge the hole, thus the leaks, but the system does not know it, and pump always the same calculated quantity of water: the level drops!
2 x