Cool an attic during hot weather

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Cool an attic during hot weather

by gegyx » 20/05/22, 12:34

I doubt that we can put a reflective roof in a subdivision adjoining a national.
Danger for motorists and passing planes and helicopters and birds of prey...

:D
0 x
humus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by humus » 20/05/22, 12:57

izentrop wrote:
Christophe wrote:Thin insulators work quite well against IR radiation...a simple survival blanket is enough!
Yeah, for the insulation will have to be ironed, especially in summer. You can just count on its vapor barrier side. Beware of condensation on the frames in winter. https://conseils-thermiques.org/contenu ... _mince.php

in your link
Thin insulators, additional insulation only

That's good, that was the goal: a complement against the radiation of the tiles... : Wink: not to make an insulation based on that.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 20/05/22, 13:03

gegyx wrote:I doubt that we can put a reflective roof in a subdivision adjoining a national.
Danger for motorists and passing planes and helicopters and birds of prey...

:D

Rolalalalalal...

So put some PV!! Today, it's worth quedale and it's self-financed by clearing the bills!
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 20/05/22, 13:05

humus wrote:Thin insulators, additional insulation only
That's good, that was the goal: a complement against the radiation of the tiles... : Wink: not to make an insulation based on that.
To avoid overheating the roof and its frame and rotting it in winter, it would be best to place it outside...
Countries that are used to high temperatures have understood this for a long time. : Mrgreen:
Image https://www.numerama.com/sciences/72191 ... -bien.html
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 20/05/22, 15:08

No, the characteristic of these countries is to paint everything white (which reflects the heat) while in the link you give, the color of the “reflective” paint is black, which concentrates the heat! Pouf pouf pouf...

I would like to answer but I am missing some elements:
- orientation of the bedroom in relation to the Sun.
- is the attic airtight or is there air passing through?
- does the attic have window/s or any opening or not?
- is there a cellar and does it have ventilation by leaping?
- is there a “closed” stairwell?

Photos would help to understand the configuration (under roof) and position of the bedroom, impact of the roof on the front walls... Thermal insulation of the walls?

The problem comes from the fact that:
— the air is anyway hot in summer especially in the Sun (and that we can't do anything about it except air conditioning or wait for the evening...)
— masonry acting like a battery, it is much worse since it accumulates heat...

I had this problem in the attic, but there are several strategies to remedy it.

The techniques - "just effective what it takes” — to remedy it without it costing an arm, and which make it possible to better support it exist. But they do not work miracles if they are not ALL coordinated with each other and brought to the highest possible level of their respective performances.
0 x
humus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by humus » 20/05/22, 16:43

izentrop wrote:
humus wrote:Thin insulators, additional insulation only
To avoid overheating the roof and its frame and rotting it in winter, it would be best to place it outside...
Countries that are used to high temperatures have understood this for a long time. : Mrgreen:
Image https://www.numerama.com/sciences/72191 ... -bien.html

In life many things can be true at the same time. : Wink:
It is certain that painting its roof in white, or aluminizing it on the outside would be effective.
But...there are aesthetic rules depending on the region.

I see no problem with having a device as follows: tile + air (natural ventilation) + reflective insulation + attic air with possibly forced or natural ventilation, as mentioned by Ahmed.
The real thermal insulation in rock wool (or equivalent) being on the ground in the attic.
I see only benefit in this solution which will be better than tiles alone, radiating their heat in the direction of the rock wool.

Christophe's idea to add PV panels is also good because it shades the tiles and produces something extra

On the other hand, Gegyx, I don't see how you could have free water to cool the roof?
A rainwater tank and a "closed" circulation? A good part evaporating forever.
It seems to me a waste of water which could advantageously be used for a vegetable garden.
0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 20/05/22, 21:21

Double-sided PV, which should only cost new theoretically (theoretically) 5% more, and put in white below.

Panels above 1.8m high = town hall declaration.
1 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

: Oops: : Cry: :( : Shock:
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 20/05/22, 21:28

Humus I wonder if you continue to do the con?

Since it seems to me that it is your passion in these troubled times.

It's probably your way of joking at the expense of others again! : roll:

A toilet flush on the roof, compared to an air conditioning, or whatever, bullshit, I don't see your problem on this point.

And the evaporated water, I offer it to the person where it will recondense again. This is for you, my son...

I'm going to ask Emma, ​​she's going to divert a river...

Obviously once again, you, so involved, you haven't read Rémundo's "Opale" topic...:
solar-photovoltaic/autonomous-photovoltaic-optimizations-with-liquids-opal-t11091-10.html

And for the winter, I'll set up a greenhouse all around the house, you'll find out about permits...
:(
1 x
humus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by humus » 21/05/22, 00:29

gegyx wrote:Humus I wonder if you continue to do the con?

Since it seems to me that it is your passion in these troubled times.

It's probably your way of joking at the expense of others again! : roll:

A toilet flush on the roof, compared to an air conditioning, or whatever, bullshit, I don't see your problem on this point.

And the evaporated water, I offer it to the person where it will recondense again. This is for you, my son...

I'm going to ask Emma, ​​she's going to divert a river...

Obviously once again, you, so involved, you haven't read Rémundo's "Opale" topic...:
solar-photovoltaic/autonomous-photovoltaic-optimizations-with-liquids-opal-t11091-10.html

And for the winter, I'll set up a greenhouse all around the house, you'll find out about permits...
:(

Well rated
1 x
gildas
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by gildas » 23/05/22, 19:00

Seen by chance a construction pro and exposed the problem: You have to see if there are ventilation tiles on the roof... The problem of overheating can come from there if there are not enough or not enough... .

There are about 6 for 90m2 of surface... (ordinary tiled roof)

For the fibro slate (?):

https://www.cba-materiaux.fr/p/toiture- ... c-A3072122
0 x