Choice of gas or electricity heating system

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
vini78
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Choice of gas or electricity heating system

by vini78 » 21/02/12, 17:53

Hello,

I have a house from 1968 (145 m2 ° not very well insulated at the moment and I have the distinction of having an electric heating upstairs in the bedrooms and on the ground floor a forced air gas heating (boiler + 20 years to replace soon).

I installed a wood stove last year to see if my gas consumption would decrease and consider the stress:
electric heating + wood stove + wall insulation.

With the subject of nuclear power at the moment and the future increase in the price of electricity, I wonder if it is ultimately wise to turn to electric heating.

Hot water loop + boiler investment (whole house): € 16
Electricity investment (radiators + water heater): around 6000 €

My current gas consumption: 20000 kwh and electricity: 5000 kwh.

the approximate return on investment of a choice for gas is approximately min 10 years (without updating the initial price of the investment difference: € 10).

Question: What choice of heating system do you recommend (electricity or gas)?
0 x
Former Oceano

by Former Oceano » 21/02/12, 19:06

Have you studied the possibility of the wood boiler stove?

Otherwise between electricity and wood, since winter we turn on thermal power stations to support electricity consumption and there are losses online, I would be tempted to say: gas. By cons takes a condensing boiler to have the best performance.
0 x
[MODO Mode = ON]
Zieuter but do not think less ...
Peugeot Ion (VE), KIA Optime PHEV, VAE, no electric motorcycle yet...
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 21/02/12, 19:26

Spend as little as possible by keeping what currently works as a backup, and heating with wood, using current forced air, with a wood stove connected to it and plants (free which drags everywhere too much for me) or pellets.

I like the forced air heating delivered in the rooms, on an insert that I use, in my different homes.

You have no reason not to continue the forced air and just send this air to the upstairs bedrooms, with ducts, for a much lower price, all connected to a pellet stove or logs, with an air circulation exchanger.
The air circulation with thermostat is as good as the central heating, with much less problems of breakdowns, because much simpler.

And especially better insulate the house, attic, walls as much as possible before changing the heating.

You will earn much more than going to the latest fashionable boiler, which saves significantly more on installer paper than at home, with the price of gas that follows oil.

For this price, if you still change, go instead to wood, multi-fuel boiler, pellets or free wood, (as recovered around my home by preventing my neighbors from smoking by burning their wood waste outdoors !!
The quantity of abandoned, free wood that I see rotting everywhere amazes me. )

A gas boiler so correct, without overheating, wears very little, and therefore can last a long time (personal observation, on mine of well over 20 years), if we do not give in to the modes that push to spend for something new, which is especially interesting for installers, to make lots of money on your back, with lots of good reasons.

In general they present the most expensive fashionable solutions and never the simple and efficient air circulation.
0 x
vini78
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by vini78 » 23/02/12, 13:56

Thank you for your answers. I am indeed aware that it is strongly advised to insulate before changing the heating system.

However, when I redo the insulation of my walls I will take the opportunity to bring the standard to electricity. And therefore the choice between electricity and gas.
My ducts will go through the ceiling and this will call into question my heating duct which also goes to the ceiling. So the problem is that all the work overlaps and depends on each other.

Finally, for what I think of forced air: my mouths being located mainly in height, we have a temperature difference between the bottom and the top of the room. The heat rises rather upwards. Finally, we have a fairly low ceiling height in the entrance precisely because of this sheath that I would eventually like to remove.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 23/02/12, 14:24

forced air heating is often considered bad by those who have it, precisely because it is installed in poorly insulated houses

when the insulation is improved, the necessary heating power is reduced and poor forced air heating becomes good

a frequent defect of forced air heating is the pile of sheath in the badly insulated attic, which loses a catastrophic power

it is absolutely necessary to put the sheaths on a floor in the attic, and lay a large layer of insulation over the sheath

the sheaths being warmer than the temperature of the house it makes sense to put a greater thickness of insulation

alas in some attic there is so little space that it is better to avoid forced air heating

I like the floor heating with water, because you can easily plug in any heat source ... gas, wood, solar, heat pump ...
0 x
sspid14
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: Choice of gas or electricity heating installation

by sspid14 » 23/02/12, 22:38

The answer is a bit in the question you ask yourself ...
And then you want advice on what? What are your criteria? Comfort, savings, investment, pollution, future ... ???

If it is comfort: you say it yourself the forced air is not great, electricity is not the best either since you have to use energy only during off-peak hours. The wood, gas, oil boiler with radiators or underfloor heating will be better.

Investment: Electric heater is cheaper (see your post)

If it is the economy on the bill: very expensive electricity (in Belgium, to see for France) but given the lower investment which allows some to finance their house insulation -> cheaper bill. Gas, and better wood, is cheaper.

Pollution: it's up to you to see what you want, nuk, CO2, NOx, ...

Future: not good for one or for the others ... ahh if, be autonomous to the max
0 x