Attention, artisan in dishonest isolation

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
ddufond
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Attention, artisan in dishonest isolation

by ddufond » 15/12/10, 19:19

Hello,

I completely renovated a stone house in the Dordogne. My concern was to make the house as sustainable as possible.
Canadian well, wood heating, solar hot water, ...
Obviously, I paid particular attention to the insulation.
I chose to insulate the exterior with wood fiber on added cladding and insulation of lost roof spaces with blown cellulose wadding.
The site went wrong, but I at least had the impression that the craftsman, who claimed to be an ecological approach, was doing serious work ...
The reality is that he blew up the roof insulation. I could see it easily with the snow of recent times which clearly showed thermal bridges ... I find myself with very insulated walls, but all the heat that escapes through the roof !!!
Worst of all, it has been 3 weeks since this gentleman gave me any news, despite phone calls, emails and registered letter.
I would like to prevent someone else from having to go through all of this annoyance and to advertise this dishonest person.

Do you allow me to publish his name on your site?
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 15/12/10, 19:43

Perhaps you could start by publishing his "Terms of Sales"?

8) [Edit: without specifying either his name or his business name]
Last edited by Obamot the 16 / 12 / 10, 09: 18, 1 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

Re: Attention, craftsman in dishonest isolation

by Christophe » 15/12/10, 22:57

First of all, what are you basing on to say that the work in the attic has been baclée?

An impression of a thermal bridge on the roof yes, but did you go check the work in the attic? Thickness, homogeneity of the layer.

ddufond wrote:insulation of lost roof spaces with blown cellulose wadding.

If it is really baclée, nothing prevents you from putting a layer by yourself in lost roof space it is quite easy to do it either even ... the subject of the self-laying of cotton wool has already been mentioned at length and large : https://www.econologie.com/forums/search.php

ddufond wrote:Do you allow me to publish his name on your site?

No, especially since you are not sure that there is a fault!
0 x
ddufond
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by ddufond » 16/12/10, 19:41

When the roof is snowy, the snow melts very irregularly.
I have photos but I cannot attach them.
I would love to have your opinion on it, but it was the craftsman himself who told me that looking at a snowy roof is a good way to see the quality of the insulation.
In addition, I can see the difference with my neighbor's roof which is well insulated and which does not reveal large black spots when the snow begins to melt.

I know that it is not very difficult to insulate with cotton wool but hey I paid someone to do the work, it does not seem logical to me to do it myself ...

Regarding the general conditions of sale, I have no such document, only an invoice
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 16/12/10, 19:52

Yes, except that you can have leaks or thermal gains through the roof even with good insulation, examples: a VMC box placed "after" the insulation, a chimney, a thermal bridge, such as a metal joist (our case). ..

Also the best insulation still allows calories to pass ... are you sure it is as bad as before?

The only thing to do is go into the attic and take measurements and photos ....

You can reach them using the link; "Insert an image or a file on the forum, click here. "below the window for writing a message ...
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 16/12/10, 21:54

Christophe wrote:Yes, except that you can have leaks or thermal gains through the roof even with good insulation, examples: a VMC box placed "after" the insulation, a chimney, a thermal bridge, such as a metal joist (our case). ..

Also the best insulation still allows calories to pass ... are you sure it is as bad as before?

The only thing to do is go into the attic and take measurements and photos ....

You can reach them using the link; "Insert an image or a file on the forum, click here. "below the window for writing a message ...
Absolutely, to be credible, it is necessary to bring incontestable EVIDENCE.

In this area, thermographic and infiltrometric expertise should do the trick.
You can try to join this company. I already talked to her manager and I found her to be very relevant and to give good advice. : Arrowl:
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 16/12/10, 22:05

ddufond wrote:When the roof is snowy, the snow melts very irregularly.
In my subdivision, all the houses are similar and with concrete tile roofs that are 35 years old.
The original insulation was made with 45mm of glass wool but most houses have had the "improved" insulation.

Last week, the day it snowed, I went to the street to compare the snow cover on the roofs of each house.
Curiously, on 2 houses, the snow melted VERY QUICKLY.
I talked about it with their owners and they told me that they had redone the insulation with more than 100mm of insulation (more than at my house currently).
The tiles of these 2 houses were repainted last year, which prevents them from becoming damp and, a priori, trapping the cold. The snow doesn't hold on ...
Perhaps your tiles are of uneven quality and they also behave like this, with no real connection to thermal bridges. :?:
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 16/12/10, 23:01

ddufond wrote:Regarding the general conditions of sale, I have no such document, only an invoice

So then what are you basing on to tell us that it is dishonest ... After all we only have YOUR version. He must have his own, but since we do not know her ... It is very difficult to pronounce.

And an invoice is very meager ... if you don't even have a quote? In principle the CG should appear on the back. What about specifications? It all seems "amateur" to me as a follow-up ...
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 17/12/10, 14:43

The best thing to do is take pictures of the melting snow on your roof and that of others ideally on the same photo and show it so that it corrects the situation.

But the insulation cannot solve a leakage problem, the heat will still come out if the seal is not there! Even worse than the insulation will take moisture!
0 x
Stepping behind sometimes can strengthen friendship.
Criticism is good if added to some compliments.
Alain
aerialcastor
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by aerialcastor » 17/12/10, 14:51

it is not quite simply that there is an isolated part under crawling and a part in lost roof spaces.
In the lost roof, the snow should melt only under the action of the Sun and the outside temperature, since the roofs are more or less at the outside temperature.
0 x
Save a tree, eat a beaver.
It is no use to succeed in life, what it takes is to miss his death.

Back to "Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ..."