Construction and insulation of a wooden mezzanine in garage

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
Coati84
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Construction and insulation of a wooden mezzanine in garage

by Coati84 » 02/01/12, 23:38

Hello,

The work is finished and I am now tackling the construction of a wooden mezzanine in my garage whose size has reduced to 14m² but which still has a significant height under the roof.

My 3 mx 2.90 m mezzanine will be constructed as follows:
- 2 wall brackets 63 x 175 mm x 3m fixed on each side of the 2 walls by lag screws [diameter> 12 mm and length> 200 mm] and large quality nylon plugs [diameter = 16 mm] every 50 cm at level of horizontal concrete block joints
- 7 joists 63 x 175 mm x 2.90 m [distance separating the 2 walls of the garage] spaced 500 mm apart to be fixed on the wall mounts using metal shoes
- 22 mm ctbh floor fixed with twisted spikes whose length> 50 mm.

What do you think ? Do I have to use studs with sieves and chemical mortar for fixing the muralières to the wall? Should I put struts every 80 cm and placed in a staggered fashion between the joists to stiffen or is it unnecessary?
The "south" wall of the garage was insulated to a thickness of 90 mm with rock wool and plasterboard. The height of this insulation is 2.80 m and I want to position my "south" wall bracket at a height of 2.60 m. Can I position this "south" wall mount on this plasterboard insulation and fix it to the concrete block just behind using a 260 mm long lag screw [ie 60 mm in the wall mount, 90 mm in the plasterboard lining and 110 mm in the concrete block]? Is this OK or do I have to position the "south" wall bracket above the plasterboard lining, ie approximately 2.90 m from the ground?

Thank you in advance for your contributions.
0 x
Coati84 - realization of a 40 m² wooden extension of my house: 2nd semester 2021
Coati84
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Coati84 » 06/01/12, 11:16

Hello,

After careful consideration, concerning the "south" side, I will not be able to fix the mural on the "south" wall because I really cannot cut the plasterboard which allows me not to have a thermal bridge vis-à-vis the wall adjacent which is the wall of one of my children's rooms.

In order to set up a mezzanine 2.50 m high, my design optimization is as follows:
- wall bracket 63 x 175 mm x 3m fixed directly to the "north" wall,
- wall bracket 63 x 175 mm x 3m fixed directly on 4 post-beams attached to the "south" wall, the section of which is to be determined,
- 7 joists 63 x 175 mm x 2.90 m spaced 500 mm apart to be fixed to the wall panels using metal shoes,
- 22 mm ctbh floor fixed with twisted spikes whose length> 50 mm.

My questions are as follows and concern the "south" mural:
- is it possible to fix a mural on 4 beam posts spaced 1 meter each and attached to the placo?
- is it necessary to have 4 beam posts or can I only have 3?
- what are the recommended dimensions of the column-beam sections?
- what must be the fixings between the beams posts and the "south" wall bracket?
- what should be the fixings between the beam posts and the concrete floor?
- do you have to fix even very lightly the beam posts attached to the placo or not?
- what are the general precautions for implementation since this concept becomes more complex?

Thank you in advance for your contributions because I am new to this construction.

I will soon be putting online the design diagram for this mezzanine.
0 x
Coati84 - realization of a 40 m² wooden extension of my house: 2nd semester 2021
bleusideral
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by bleusideral » 06/01/12, 12:50

Hello
personally I did similar work

with 22mm water-repressed compressed wooden plates, the span between posts is 1.20m

the recovery posts are of the telephone type therefore treated for life and hyper solid, the range is 3.30m

perpendicularly between these beams (which are directly sealed in the load-bearing walls) I added bushels 80 x 100mm every m, to stiffen the span for the plates

done a bit at random, I can only note that it does not move an mm, storing a lot of weight above "things" that we do not often use in a house, materials, wood, etc .. .

if it can help : Lol:

good luck
0 x
A gesture more econological econological a gesture and it is the planet that will suffer more!
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 06/01/12, 12:55

I had to do a fairly close job, only the dimensions were larger (3,70 between walls).

Here is how I proceeded *: I sealed U irons perpendicular to the two walls; on these I simply put a 50x50 angle iron, one wing flat, the other against the wall.
On the opposite angles I put my pieces of wood (180x60) and I linked them by planks (struts) staggered ** in the middle of the length.
Particle boards are also simply placed on the structure.

In your case, on the isolated side, the support pieces work on buckling, which does not require large sections (?), Two supports, or three lighter are sufficient.
It would be good to fix them to the ground by screwing them on sealed irons and to ensure the bracing by wires stretched in X between the highs and the lows (it is the simplest and the most discreet).
At the top, it is not useful to fix the assembly to the wall, it is just enough to maintain them the time to put the horizontal pieces of wood on it. You can, however, nail a few cleats to make a stop and keep them in position.

* Please note, I am not claiming that this is the only way to do this, it is only an indicative testimony.
** To be able to nail them.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."