Improving the efficiency of a fireplace or stove

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 13/11/09, 15:43

-
Do the refractory bricks provide enough heat (compared to the cost)?

Do it, when the poel goes out it continues to heat up; it is a useful inertia.
And then, refractory bricks are used, at home, I even put steel very heavy steel blocks that take a long time to cool
0 x
Mysti
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Mysti » 13/11/09, 20:00

Thank you for your quick reply.

In fact, we have a beautiful design stove and we would not dare to start work, it is preferable that a professional put the refractory bricks himself. Of course it has a cost (475 €) but we want it to be nice.
0 x
Lietseu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Lietseu » 14/11/09, 00:14

Hi Mysti (that?) Welcome on econology the other middle country ...

Lejustemilieu has indeed heaped up mountains of metal that he picked up on an industrial site ... it's pretty and remarkably efficient, it's not complicated when you come home, you keep your sweater two minutes and after a moment you wonder if you should not have taken your swimsuit : Cheesy:

He also created a chicane inspired by a PEEO De Masse (PDM) which recovers a huge amount of the heat of the smoke that goes down in its masonry in a chicane and which it does not spoil the landscape, since behind the monumental stove fire visible ...

Am sure that by asking him kindly he will put you a picture of the beast ... : Mrgreen:

Greetings from the ecology cat ... Meow :P
0 x
By removing Human Nature, he was far from his nature! Lietseu
"The power of love, must be stronger than the love of power" contemporary Lie Tzu?
One sees clearly only with the heart, the essential is invisible to the eyes ...
pieroxy
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: Improving the efficiency of a fireplace or a stove

by pieroxy » 30/09/10, 14:30

The passerby wrote:Yesterday, I came across a user's opinion on the site ciao.fr, and what I read amazed me by its simplicity:

In a house heated by a closed fireplace, the principle is to get a large flow of fresh air from outside (or a basement) just under the fireplace.

Then the following things happen:
- The air creates an overpressure in the house.
- When passing over the walls of the fireplace, the cold air heats up and expands, further amplifying the overpressure.
- The volume of hot air in the rooms tends to swell and take up more and more space, thus expelling the colder air in the lower part of the rooms towards the natural low openings (below the door, etc. ...)

As a result, the cold air no longer enters the house through the joints of doors or windows, but on the contrary, it is the cold air from the bottom of the rooms which is evacuated outside by these same "openings"!

I tested this system today by dismantling the VMC from the attic and using it to blow the cold air from the garage just into the fresh air intake that comes out under the fireplace ..... the result is there: it is warmer in the room where the fireplace is, and it is much warmer than before in other rooms :) Suddenly, I removed the "tubes" from the bottom of the door ... a treat, no more cold air.

The air is also renewed constantly, I find this system rather great!

Well, I know, I'm bad at all. There is still something that bores me. If the fireplace is closed, that means that by injecting air in it puts the chimney in overpressure, not the house! So, I do not understand at all the solution and it grieves me ;-)
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 30/09/10, 14:41

A real improvement (which should be standard): the arrival of cold air behind an insert or closed hearth ....

The VMC, like a wind tunnel, why not!

And an explanation of phew !!! It's not only the air that expands !!!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/09/10, 18:17

Here are some ideas of combustion improvements from a France Turbo stove.

They are deom in (a little) better : Cheesy:

The principle of preheating a part of the air of recombustion of a part of the burned gases:

Practical details

0 x
tigrou_838
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

wood stove

by tigrou_838 » 04/10/10, 13:29

Hi christophe, tell me what is the copper pipe around the stove ???
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/10/10, 13:32

You must guess easily since you have the same at home ... :)

On the other hand I have no more details ... what is interesting for this subject is especially the double combustion.
0 x
pieroxy
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by pieroxy » 05/10/10, 19:08

To go back to the starting point, there is something that I do not understand ... If the chimney is closed, that means that by injecting air into it, you put the chimney in overpressure, not the house ! So, how does it heat the house?
0 x
Lietseu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Lietseu » 18/10/10, 19:47

Have you ever seen a stove that heats?

Where do you get the air he uses to promote combustion in general? from your house, right?

So if you inject fresh air directly from outside into your stove, you avoid burning the hot air of your house and therefore, to bring cold air through all the small holes resulting from the construction of the building ... which is the case of most old and new systems ...

The overpressure is evident since at least the air that enters through the duct and that fires the fire with oxygen, is pumped out and not in. :? and in addition it goes from cold to hot without tapping into the calorie capital of the ambient air ...
Is it clear enough like that?

Meow :P
0 x
By removing Human Nature, he was far from his nature! Lietseu

"The power of love, must be stronger than the love of power" contemporary Lie Tzu?

One sees clearly only with the heart, the essential is invisible to the eyes ...