Wood house with high inertia

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 01/11/11, 16:48

The ricans are the kings of air conditioning with 38 ° C at 100% humidity for sometimes a month, while they could keep the cold -20 ° C to -30 ° C of winter underground with an optimum Canadian well, like a www.dlsc.ca doubles both keeping the heat of summer and elsewhere the cold of winter, to consume only zero energy without CO2, in summer as well as in winter with natural air conditioning !!

The ideal is the cave heated by summer thermal solar panels for the winter and naturally air-conditioned at 20 ° C instead of 12 ° C for free !!
0 x
airsp
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by airsp » 01/11/11, 18:35

So I understand that it is better to have good insulation on the exterior walls rather than a lime-hemp board.

What I liked about a lime-hemp mixture were the following aspects:
- breathable walls
- no vapor barrier
- possibility of coating the interior walls directly with lime or earth for aesthetic appearance (stucco)
- lime plaster (instead of a wood cladding)
- protection of wood against insects, molds thanks to lime

Putting 22cm insulation around the periphery removes a lot of these points

The advantage of insulation remains to heat the house very quickly in winter

What do you think ?
Thank you
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 01/11/11, 18:48

A house is always a sum of compromises !!!

Everyone has their own choices.

If you want to optimize inertia, I gave you the recipe.

If you also want it to be very well insulated, always a solution: a) superb insulation towards the outside AND b) a maximum of mass without insulation inside this cocoon ...

I admit not knowing the lime-hemp mixture. It seems rather insulating to me (it all depends on the amount of lime!). But why not (if I understood correctly, in filling of your assature on the interior and exterior walls?). The more lime there is, the less it will be "light" and therefore the less it will be insulating (it is the trapped air that makes a material insulating; therefore a very good insulator is necessarily very very light: it is air in bars ...). Afterwards, if the thermal resistance is lower than other "artificial" insulators, you can obtain the same insulating effect by building very thick (in proportion ...

But if it's a good insulator, it won't be a good inertial material. It is incompatible. Why not put that on the outside and some compacted earth bricks stabilized inside (which you can "brush" in a very natural way)?

If you also want wood, whether it is natural, whether it is cheap, whether it is durable, that there is no maintenance, that the carbon footprint is excellent, each time it will become a little more complicated ... And when you win on one point, in general, you lose elsewhere.

And that's why there are as many "ideal houses" as there are people who build ...
0 x