woodburning safety (avoiding the fireplace)

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 21/10/10, 16:49

Review and assimilate basic physics courses, simpler than you think !!
The aerialcastor curve is accurate and this latent heat for vaporization or boiling or recovered in condensation vanishes at the critical point of water (vapor and liquid indistinguishable, 218 atmospheres, 374 ° C) !!
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_crit ... namique%29
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_triple

Air molecules do not change at the same temperature except slow down the diffusion evaporation of water molecules in the air.
Otherwise the boiling at given pressure would change temperature with more or less air molecules, gold at 1 atmosphere T = 100 ° C is the same with or without air !!

Given your remarks, I have not had time to read everything, but some need to read the basic physics!

This kind of questions is useful because without them, the subject is not assimilated, characteristic of the courts in France!
0 x
aerialcastor
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by aerialcastor » 22/10/10, 16:14

To come back to the subject of safety I just did my sweeping.
Balance not even 2L soot, and in addition to very fine soot. And yet I burn that shit wood, fall of building site (often painted and / or treated) furniture recovered in the dump, pallet in resinous, ...

But on the other hand I only do topdown ignitions and I always make burn with "donf" even if it means making smaller but more regular loads.
0 x
Save a tree, eat a beaver.
It is no use to succeed in life, what it takes is to miss his death.
Christophe

by Christophe » 22/10/10, 16:23

dedeleco wrote:Given your remarks, I have not had time to read everything, but some need to read the basic physics!

This kind of questions is useful because without them, the subject is not assimilated, characteristic of the courts in France!

Well, we'll listen to you gladly to have us reviewed :) Because there with Mollier there is something that I do not seize ... a coef. 3 is too much ... so where is the error?

Yes aerialcastor, after this matter of latent heat, we will come back to the basic subject. But it's not good to burn treated wood ... In the same vein: yesterday I saw a few rare green flames coming out of one of our logs (compressed wood style large pellets 10 cm in diameter), I presume it was some machine cutting oil that "polluted" the sawdust.
0 x
aerialcastor
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by aerialcastor » 22/10/10, 16:47

But it's not good to burn treated wood

Yes, but I like evil : Cheesy: : Cheesy:

Why should not?

As already said I always burn, the temperature of the fireplace must be between 600 and 800 ° C, I doubt that many of these treatments are resistant to such temperatures.
Then we can not see any smoke coming out of the chimney (except 3 5 first minutes for startup) which confirms that the combustion is very good and therefore there is very little imbrulé.

Also I get the wood during my rare trip by car without making detour, which saves the displacement of truck and therefore the pollution that goes with it and anyway the wood is intended to be burned in the same conditions as at home.

This reclaimed wood also avoids a delivery of firewood just at home (so comfortable 2T on 30km)

So unless someone happens to make an accurate assessment (in terms of pollution and gray energy) it will continue like this. : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:

[Edit]
And without counting the fact that I can not necessarily find as much wood as I want, I have to save it to have the next day, something that I will not do if I had a few steres in advance.
A bit like washing by hand that consumes more water than washing machine, but as washing by hand is very boring we avoid dirtying dishes too much. There is less to wash the record is better for washing by hand.
Last edited by aerialcastor the 22 / 10 / 10, 17: 00, 1 edited once.
0 x

Christophe

by Christophe » 22/10/10, 16:57

aerialcastor wrote:Then we can not see any smoke coming out of the chimney (except 3 5 first minutes for startup) which confirms that the combustion is very good and therefore there is very little imbrulé.

Certainly, but there are plenty of toxic gases and compounds that cannot be seen ... In short, the subject "in sight" is not really a healthy argument ... but your combustion is certainly very good.

aerialcastor wrote:So unless someone happens to make an accurate assessment (in terms of pollution and gray energy) it will continue like this. : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:

There is a permanent campaign in Belgium on furans and dioxins ...

Indeed; as the sorting is selective and the bins weighed, a lot of little clever people burn their junk in their garden ... at least in part. So the Belgian State informs about the risks.

This is one of the counter effects of sorting for all.

I do not say that your wood generates but potentially it can.
0 x
aerialcastor
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by aerialcastor » 22/10/10, 17:07

I'm not saying it's perfect ... but it must not be far from the kif-kif.

But there is also a state of mind to be seen ... We do not throw away "things" that can serve as fuel.
0 x

dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 22/10/10, 20:28

I repeat :
For Noah and many others, burning wood with old treatments based on chlorine-based 1944 (over 50 years of PCB PPB, etc. often totally indestructible, apart from slight evaporation) is very harmful, because you make dioxins and other pollutions!
Bringing wood out of seawater full of salt (NACl) with this chlorine also makes dioxin and other pollutions !!

To avoid, you are polluting yourself and your neighbors !!

Type on google: dioxin, PCB, PPB, wood insecticides, wood treatment, treated wood burning, and read everything and learn !!

Tape peat Irish sea salt dioxin also in English !!

When in Ireland they burned seaside peat full of sea salt they were filled with dioxins following studies that studied the resistance of these inhabitants to dioxin much better for men than for cows.
0 x
boutkiller
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by boutkiller » 25/12/10, 20:31

Hello,
Sweeping a chimney is boring and it takes time. In addition if it is done by a pro it is expensive, which reduces the advantage of using wood compared to other heating systems.
Failure to sweep a chimney involves a risk of fire, as well as reduced draft due to a decrease in the section of the pipe.

So I come to the following question:

Are there any casing systems specifically designed to withstand chimney fires, because a good chimney fire must be worth a sweeping!

To limit the impact of the reduction of section due to clogging of the tube it would be enough to overdimit it.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 25/12/10, 21:16

at home I have an old fireplace open fire, entirely stone that I have swept only a few times at the beginning there is 20ans ...

since sweeping does not make a big difference, I do not do it any more: main remark, she does not have a hat so the rain is responsible for making everything fall ... and I burned anything, fire hell old pallet ... sometimes with the flame coming out of the house!

when I have not used it during the summer, at the first fires at the beginning of the winters, the wet soot is picked up and falls loose ... sometimes I watch while looking inside the duct with a mirror ... there are incandescent spots that form inside the duct and fall

That said, this testimony must not lead to imprudence! the stove and the insert clog much more than open fire ... it is the only interest of this fireplace open fire, I burn everything that nobody could put in his insert
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 25/12/10, 22:09

do not tell anything with dioxin! it decomposes at 800 ° C, temperature easily reached in a dry wood fire ... so no danger with a fire slightly treated wood, paint or lassure ... in addition there is very little paint or treatment with pvc and other chlorinated product

the problem of dioxin arises in the incineration plants that burn bad waste fuel and have a hard time reaching a sufficient temperature

to avoid burning: telephone pole wood! I do not know what the treatment is, but it prevents to burn properly, not only it does not heat but it has a doubtful smell

other wood problem: railroad crossing: the ca burns very well! much better than pure oak, the treatment product increases the calorific value ... but there are strange odors, which remain to be identified

NaCl salt does not make dioxin: it does not decompose below 800 ° C ... and above 800 ° C it is dioxin which decomposes

it has even been found in the incineration plant that the rate of dioxin drops to about Christmas when there is a lot of oyster shell: it makes limestone in the junk, which fire makes lime, and captures chlorine from PVC to make calcium chloride, which reduces the formation of dioxin ... proof that mineral compounds of chlorine are more fire-stable than dioxin
0 x