standby power electric water heaters

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 28/04/15, 09:00

Hello raymon,
You just had to copy the link address from the browser's address bar.
The advantage of over-isolating your balloon

Interesting, we can see that by adding 60 mm of insulation around a 200l balloon, we can save 400 kWh a year :D
0 x
raymon
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by raymon » 29/04/15, 11:34

Interesting, we can see that by adding 60 mm of insulation around a 200l balloon, we can save 400 kWh a year Very Happy

And how many reactors are shut down if all the water heaters were properly insulated?
A discussion on the performance of water heaters:
http://www.bricozone.be/fr/plomberie/t- ... 55666.html
89% yield result.

Here the yield is I suppose for normal use but whoever will use only 2kwh of electricity for these needs will have a yield of 50%. A waste bonus. How much more would a properly insulated water heater cost 10 to 15% more?
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 29/04/15, 17:58

Certainly less than 400 KWh / year :D

But the problems are always the same:

- convince the people to invest rather than spend on energy
- who says more insulation says more bulk (and we are often very happy to wedge it in a cupboard
- more space, also more expensive to transport.

Also consider:

Where is he ?

if it's in the bathroom, it heats it up a bit, so all the energy is not wasted in vain.
if it's in the cellar: then the gain is real
if it is in the garage, the attic or a shed, then the gain is very real.

Besides, it can be done with an isover roll and packing tape.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
raymon
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by raymon » 29/04/15, 18:50

Certainly less than 400 KWh / year Very Happy

over a year the day before it is around 730 kwh hoping to save half of it seems reasonable to me.
Convincing buyers the economy would be 400x0,14 = 56 euros per year water heater reimbursed in about 5 years not bad. Or the additional manufacturing cost probably paid in one year.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 29/04/15, 23:39

Hi,
The author of this topic on FS says a little further that he has made a saving, especially the winter of 10 € / month.
Other testimonies confirm http://forums.futura-sciences.com/habit ... ost5204701
It is not necessary to insulate the bottom, because of the stratification of the water and it is better to avoid the summer because the thermostat could risk malfunction.
The maintenance consumption revolves around 2 kWh / 24 h, for a 200 l.

We see in this document that the standard insulation thickness is 3 cm and 4 cm in over-insulated. :|
With that, it is not difficult to save 1.2 kWh / 24 h
0 x
raymon
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by raymon » 30/04/15, 07:35

A bit off topic but not really
n standby, it may be more instinctive, a device continues to consume electricity. All devices on standby and hidden consumption would contribute 11% of the household bill. Nationwide, that would amount to a bill of two billion euros. An LCD TV, when in standby, would consume 8,1 kWh per year, a DVD player 15 kWh and a laptop charger between 1 and 3 kWh. A useful method for disconnecting switched-off devices is to power a maximum of devices from the same power strip, which has a switch.

http://www.futura-sciences.com/magazine ... ille-5928/
We strongly insist that we think of turning off the standby of our television which consumes 8 kWh per year while we are talking about the water heater here of 700 kWh / year.
Turn off my tv for 8kwh bof.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 30/04/15, 16:24

raymon wrote:Turn off my tv for 8kwh bof.
this is what European regulations impose.
In reality the recent LCD TV whose cos phi is compensated, it is 10 times less.
It is useless to unplug the portable chargers which do not heat, because there too, the consumption is negligible. By cons a box or a decoder sat, if they heat ??

The energy meter measurements should be qualified, because they do not always take the power factor into account.
0 x
deceitful
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by deceitful » 05/05/15, 19:42

I'm interested. The water heater represents 60% of my electricity consumption despite electric heating!
0 x