Insulation board for rent: double curtains

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
Christophe

Insulation board for rent: double curtains

by Christophe » 10/12/10, 16:13

Following the comfort gained in our stay, we brought out old curtains to equip all the rooms with double curtains: the old exterior sides, the new ones on the interior side.

So I advise only one thing: that all those who do not have the possibility (rental, finances...) to change their chassis: put double curtains.

Especially that in case of rental, you can disassemble and take it with you easily ... and in case of a later change of glazing, well it will be more appreciable.

The medieval wall tapestries did not have only an aesthetic role!

Obviously the gain of the double curtains "works" only when they are drawn, that is to say at night ... but hey in winter at night is not really what is missing ...

Thermally, the ideal spacing is approximately 4 cm. Here is one of our double curtains:

More details and tips in the topic: improve-the-insulation-the-windows-shutters-blinds-curtain t8696.html

ps: it is surprising that no official energy agency (ademe et cie) has thought of advising this. The investment / comfort / gain ratio is really interesting ...
0 x
cortejuan
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by cortejuan » 10/12/10, 20:09

Hi,

same opinion, I have a very old house and the oak entrance door is no longer airtight and I do not want to change it for historical reasons.

I dressed it inside with double curtains, the first against the door, in synthetic material with a slightly metallic face, totally impermeable to air, the second, visible, in heavy fabric with a beautiful appearance. The stress during the passage is low. The insulation is not perfect but greatly improved.

cordially
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 12/12/10, 07:35

Hello,
In the field of cheap insulation, I just made a funny observation:
Recently, a person on econo, advised the vinyl wallpaper.
So, I put my hand on painted walls, and on walls with vinyl.
The difference is striking.
(19th century house with massive old walls)
But I wonder if in reality, the gain is so important with vinyl-lined walls.
In any case, I am tempted to line all my walls.
Best look.
: Cheesy:
0 x
Man is by nature a political animal (Aristotle)
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/12/10, 11:24

cortejuan I presume you tried to seal the door with "self-adhesive rolls" before?

the middle I think it's the same effect as with a curtain: you feel less like a cold wall. But as it does not trap air (or very little if it is thick vinyl paper) well it must not isolate masses.

If you have time to test: hang a hanging (a sheet or a curtain, quickly with thumbtacks) on a wall where you have not yet put vinyl and tell us your impression compared to vinyl. : Idea:

If we increase the thickness of this hanging, well we get, thermally, a medieval tapestry : Cheesy:
0 x
cortejuan
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by cortejuan » 12/12/10, 11:46

Hello

Christophe : I presume that you had tried to seal the door with "self-adhesive rolls" before?

Yes of course, and with a brush on the bottom of the door. These solutions are good on frames in good condition, my door is ancestral, it even has cracks that I seal regularly but which reopen just as regularly (conjunction of driving rain and sun).

So I came back to the time of castles with drapes, it traps the air (two layers) and it's rather aesthetic.

In fact I did so on all my areas with a large temperature difference and frankly by being far from perfect, the gain is noticeable.

I learned about large insulating style doors, I would have to sell the house to buy the doors.

cordially
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/12/10, 11:51

Ok I may say something stupid, but an old "classified" doorframe is it not possible to correct it to avoid this?

In other words, dismantle it (at least the sash) to plan it and adjust the frame accordingly by placing the necessary loads? : Idea:

Otherwise in your case, you can make an airlock on the inside. My parents placed one in glass (for the brightness).
0 x
cortejuan
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by cortejuan » 12/12/10, 12:07

Hello again,

the problem is that I don't have a frame ... The door is directly curved in the stone wall so you imagine the leaks.

For the airlock, completely agree, this is probably the solution that I will adopt very soon and as you have achieved using glass structures.

This will be the future wallet of the year 2011 ...

see you
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/12/10, 12:10

Ah yes without actually sleeping ...

But in this case it would not be possible to ... add a frame?
0 x
cortejuan
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by cortejuan » 12/12/10, 18:48

Hi,

yes no doubt but I am unable to and the artisans will not be thrilled by this kind of job.

But your idea is to remember, thank you for this advice.

cordially
0 x
LOGIC12
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

DOOR to insulate

by LOGIC12 » 12/12/10, 20:51

good evening: by very difficult to "sleep".
-Take a cleat and fix it against the door once closed, by not pressing too much, and even with a little play. And put a little bead for sealing. And do that on both sides and above the door.

You can do a simple SAS with a curtain. And to keep the day, put a thin curtain like a tightly woven window panel. We can put two superimposed fabrics.

If the ceiling is high, it is not very practical, then we can make a fanlight with cleat and plywood, and we fix the curtain rod on it.

Big economy at little cost.

Of course, you won't be told that in Adème.
Because you have to make the industry work, given that cars are not sold. But we don't all have a lot of money, especially with the tax grab.
0 x