There are fed up with Cochineals! What lasting solution?

Organize and arrange your garden and vegetable garden: ornamental, landscape, wild garden, materials, fruits and vegetables, vegetable garden, natural fertilizers, shelters, pools or natural swimming pool. lifetime plants and crops in your garden.
Christophe

There are fed up with Cochineals! What lasting solution?

by Christophe » 19/10/11, 16:29

It has been 2 years since 2 of my Citrus have been growing mealybugs! It almost killed one last winter (90% fall of leaves) ... there it is a little better but it still has!

I did 3 or 4 treatments with organic insecticide on the 2 and 1 non-organic treatment on the most affected, I rubbed the leaves and branches but it doesn't mean: they come back all the time! Dirty "beasts" !!!

So I can't find a "lasting" solution to fight other than regular rubbing ... not great ...

I may be testing the H2O2 method described on this page: https://www.econologie.com/forums/recettes-p ... 10717.html

Well here is if someone has a miracle recipe against these filth that seem resistance to insecticides ... it would suit me well ... Thank you!

ps: these are Citrus in pots that alternate greenhouse, indoor and outdoor depending on the time of year.
Last edited by Christophe the 20 / 10 / 11, 14: 56, 1 edited once.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 19/10/11, 16:57

On Citrus, it's a real mess.

Once you have "caught" that, very difficult to get rid of it: always do 2 treatments 15 days apart ...

For the “green plants”, which I don't eat, I used “systemic” chemical filth (which circulates in the sap). I do not remember the trade name or the active ingredient ...
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 19/10/11, 17:10

On my orange tree, apart from the chemical method : Evil: , I found nothing effective except manual removal very regular.

By spending 10 minutes per plant removing by hand all the mealybugs that I see, I manage to control their proliferation.

Above all, you have to be diligent in the spring (3 times a week). In summer and autumn, once a week is enough and in winter, once a month (it may be different in your case since you take in your plants in winter).
0 x
clasou
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by clasou » 19/10/11, 17:16

Hello a small photo of the critters, size and others.
claude
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 19/10/11, 17:17

Detailed answer:
http://www.jardiner-malin.fr/fiche/lutt ... nille.html
http://www.jardiner-malin.fr/fiche/pucerons.html
http://www.aujardin.org/oranger-cocheni ... 19006.html
http://www.paperblog.fr/1703384/une-lut ... s-recette/

making the air very dry 15 days is the easiest !!!
Soap and water.
Put ladybugs.
They particularly like confined, humid environments and especially high temperatures.
A humid interior or the fact of regularly spraying water on the foliage accentuates the phenomenon.
Likewise, in late spring or early fall when temperatures are high enough and the outside air is more humid.

Cure :

As soon as the scale appears, remove their shells with a cloth soaked in beer, 90 ° alcohol or soapy water and then treat with an anti-scale product.
There are anti-mealybugs based on white oil which have proven their effectiveness.
You will find them in specialized stores.
In the event of a large invasion, immediately burn or make the infected branches disappear.
A nettle manure spray is also effective in the event of an attack.
You can also limit their progression with a powerful water jet or by cleaning the leaves with a cloth soaked in alcohol at 90 ° and then rinsing with clean water.
Attention, it is necessary to treat quickly at the risk of even the plant completely invaded and condemned.

Soapy water:
Based on black soap or Marseille soap, melted in water and sprayed on the plant, the soap prevents aphids from adhering to the leaves.
150 gr of grated soap and 1 tbsp of oil are then melted in 1 liter of water which is then sprayed on the plants.

0 x
fthanron
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by fthanron » 19/10/11, 17:32

Maybe try to find out about this company specializing in the production of culture aids: http://www.koppert.fr/protection-des-cultures/ravageurs/
0 x
Frederic
Did67

by Did67 » 19/10/11, 18:21

It is most likely the shell mealybug. She is very well protected by her shield (unless you suffocate her with emulsions based on black soap - oil that clogs the pores through which she breathes; a few regular "rinses" should weaken her ... This is her only weak point!). In any case, I do not know him an enemy!

To my knowledge, it is very resistant to drought too (unlike farinaceous), it is a plague on lemon trees, oleanders in Mediterranean climate (these plants blacken because of the honeydew that generate mealybugs and which serves food to a fungus, sooty mold).
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 19/10/11, 19:48

Ah I see that my case is not isolated! Thank you for all the answers!

For the photo, we'll have to wait: I did a cleaning yesterday on one and today on the other. I'm making an ASAP photo for you.

Yes it is the "model" with shell, some, the bigger ones are spotted (beige with black spots)

The insecticide had very little effect on it (whether organic or chemical).

The method by chemical poisoning "of the sap" seems to me the most appropriate ... and durable but not really durable (I understand) and risk if we eat the fruits ...

There is a map of bitter oranges like citrus mexicana (interesting in taste it reminds of chamomile) and the other gives large elongated lemons ... remember the Latin name.

Hey I just found this based on rapeseed oil (usable in organic farming ...):

0 x
clasou
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by clasou » 20/10/11, 10:54

Hello Christopher,
Nature is doing fine with me, so I like simple solutions.
I like beer so I don't waste it to attract slugs, especially since the little gray ones find a way to make habitats in the roots of strawberries to wait during the day.
My solution, with soapy water, Marseille soap, well washed to evacuate unwanted (adhesion), then remove the soil to remove the roots.
Put a bucket with water outside the day before, and soak the roots without traces of soil until the collar. It wakes up.
Then dress him should not catch a cold with a new garden soil, after him to know if he wants to fight or not.
By dint of weakening by helping them in a different way, we strengthen the enemy by giving him the tactical manual :)
claude
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 20/10/11, 11:05

Yes they would deserve a small repotting, never done since I bought them 3 or 4 years ago ... (I put special citrus fertilizer)

About humidity against mealybugs? Currently it is 50% RH in the living room where they are located. Is it low enough to kill them or not?
0 x