DIY Tips: improve a lawn mower

Organize and arrange your garden and vegetable garden: ornamental, landscape, wild garden, materials, fruits and vegetables, vegetable garden, natural fertilizers, shelters, pools or natural swimming pool. lifetime plants and crops in your garden.
Flytox

DIY Tips: improve a lawn mower

by Flytox » 23/06/12, 00:28

When mowing with a scythe, once taken the right thing, no need to be a Hercules, this is not a test of strength, power, speed or endurance and ... this advance.

How does a lawnmower of several horses (3 and more) come to stall, when the bag is too full, a clump of grass more dense passes under the lawnmower, too much grass already shorn on the ground ....? ???? The yield of the cut and the evacuation of the cut grass is super shabby !?

Hypothesis: most of the power is not consumed by the cutting itself but by the evacuation of the cut grass. All around the blade there is an annular space occupied by air and cut grass that turns while waiting to find the exit.

As soon as the evacuation goes less well, collection bag soon full, very low mowing setting, too wet grass that sticks, the evacuation passage gradually clogs and kilos of cut grass accumulate and put on to rotate with the blade with less and less air. With a large ladle, the stirred medium changes from "gaseous" to "liquid". The absorbed power takes off and the engine stalls. : Idea:

The idea to avoid stalling all the time without making the race to power is to force the cut grass towards the exit trying to prevent it from turning with the blade on a full turn. The braking of the blade will therefore take place at a much lower rotation angle. Therefore, a deflector plate is placed, which clearly reduces the cross-section in the direction of the horizontal red arrow.

The sheet is notched so that the part "fan / end of the blade" passes just, the flat of the blade passes flush with the sheet (2 or 3 mm). The sheet rises approximately up to the motor shaft.

Evacuation side view.

Result when the grass is dry and a little too high (the moment when I decide to mow : Mrgreen: ) This is much better than usual. Passage of about 10 timings per hour to 1 timing on time :P !!! When the grass is too wet or really too high this does not change anything : Cry:

The second vertical red arrow plate, also guides the grass towards the exit and for not to be wound on the axis of the wheels.

Apparently this assembly resists the baballes of the doggie and other pieces of wood lost in the lawn without taking more harm than usual.

Note: I never pick up the grass and the hood to work without the pickup bag is kept more open than usual so as not to bridle the output of the grass.
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
plasmanu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by plasmanu » 23/06/12, 05:39

The thermal mower, what a distant past : Mrgreen:
The modification is also valid on an electric.

The problem is that the evacuation is never smooth and that the grass can often accumulate towards the axis of the rear wheels.

There is a shredder kit that can be mounted between the blade and the shaft.
Cross mounting (at 90 ° with respect to the blade).
Image Image

I proceed differently.
I usually cut without the bag and lightly lift the evacuation door (like you): I take full of the gambes : Mrgreen:
Provide a good pair of boots.

My only regret: there is no self-propelled on the electric.
0 x
"Not to see Evil, not to hear Evil, not to speak Evil" 3 little monkeys Mizaru
Flytox

by Flytox » 23/06/12, 10:48

Clearer like this : Mrgreen:
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.

[Eugène Ionesco]

Flytox

by Flytox » 23/06/12, 10:58

plasmanu wrote:The problem is that the evacuation is never smooth and that the grass can often accumulate towards the axis of the rear wheels.

Exactly, when the grass has a certain length, it wraps itself on the drive shaft in a very tight way and ends up in force in the gearbox and kill the bearings ....:frown:

There is a shredder kit that can be mounted between the blade and the shaft.
Cross mounting (at 90 ° with respect to the blade).
Image Image

Does this stuff work? The rods are steel, cable?

I proceed differently.
I usually cut without the bag and lightly lift the evacuation door (like you): I take full of the gambes : Mrgreen:
Provide a good pair of boots.

With the same problem : Mrgreen: , It was necessary to go by small retouches cuts and gradual raising of the hood to arrive at a good result and avoid the stoning of the ankles : Mrgreen:
0 x

[Eugène Ionesco]

Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 23/06/12, 16:52

Me I mow with a brush cutter: It is like a lawnmower but with only a small wheel in front and 2 very big wheel in the back.
And the evacuation of the grass is done on the side and not from behind (but one can not put of tray)
It takes already large grass to make it wedge
0 x
plasmanu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by plasmanu » 23/06/12, 17:28

The shredder kit is designed with braided cable that bends in the direction of rotation and short enough to avoid touching the blade.

It's like 2 hands of 4 fingers that scratch the grass to prevent the wad.
And facilitate ejection.

For the flap I lift it voluntarily to facilitate the exit path.
Otherwise to cut too much in one shot the wad is formed in the exit.
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 23/06/12, 23:51

Forhorse wrote:Me I mow with a brush cutter: It is like a lawnmower but with only a small wheel in front and 2 very big wheel in the back.
And the evacuation of the grass is done on the side and not from behind (but one can not put of tray)
It takes already large grass to make it wedge

The purchase will be done, your solution of the brush cutter seems better. How powerful is your model?
0 x

[Eugène Ionesco]

plasmanu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by plasmanu » 24/06/12, 08:53

Before I had a mower two times riding between the two systems.
There was only one side ejection.
It was good to run on a golf course.

But the two times in this use is rotten, the longevity is average and the settings impossible.
It must be said that I had recovered it and that it had served much.
It ended up being scrapped.

In any case, the most important is a sharp blade.

And to be very careful with the electric because it turns more 3minutes after the stop in silence:Bobo the fingers.
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 24/06/12, 10:20

Obamot wrote:A lawnmower that licks your fingers is better than the one that can eat them! : Cheesy:

This one has all the advantages, besides being affectionate with those she knows, she:
Cut in silence by night as by day, and even by Sunday!
- do the job while you're lying on a deckchair ...
- does not pollute since it does not consume gasoline, but exclusively water;
- has a proven technique;
- costs nothing in maintenance or after sales service;
- never breaks down;
- does not make you the blow of self-ignition
- do not do the "once I start and the other no" move either;
- do not give you the urge to restart it with a mass stroke;
- does not stop suddenly when it is "hot";
- therefore does not need special tools, oil or candles;
- does not require sharpening;
- very tight cut in a meticulous and regular manner;
- does not rust;
- is parked alone in his box once the work is finished;
- Do not know "The programmed obsolescence! "
- can even give milk;
- does not need to be amortized;
- is guaranteed for life;
- does not require harvesting cut grass;
- "Never forget" to mow!
- asking for more ... (while I know ...);
- And Last but not least, Is more effective than a dog, you do not really feel it coming since it is unpredictable ... and the horns is longer than the fangs, so it makes you think!

Well, just fence the vegetable garden and hide the flowers in height ... : Mrgreen: if not...

Oba_Motte: Ca .... to mow, it mows ....... to the ground ..... : Mrgreen: , The flowers is not worth it ...... but there is also the doggie ... who is very player ....... mmmmmhhhh! : Cry: : Mrgreen:

The neighbor had 2 goats, one day he left a chair under the fig tree the time to harvest ..... when he came back, the 2 goats were in the tree bending with figs, leaves etc. ... : Mrgreen:
Last edited by Flytox the 24 / 06 / 12, 10: 29, 2 edited once.
0 x

[Eugène Ionesco]

Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 24/06/12, 10:23

[Edit] I am the player, I had removed for correction!

I forgot to say that one does not have to translate his manual from Polish or Japanese;

: Mrgreen: : Cheesy: I knew you'd like it ...

This is a first prize item! : Lol:

And in addition, it is edible -> ok Janic: I -> [] go out ...
0 x

Back to "Garden: landscaping, plants, garden, ponds and pools"