DIY Tips: improve a lawn mower

Organize and arrange your garden and vegetable garden: ornamental, landscape, wild garden, materials, fruits and vegetables, vegetable garden, natural fertilizers, shelters, pools or natural swimming pool. lifetime plants and crops in your garden.
Flytox

Re: DIY Tips: Improving a Lawn Mower

by Flytox » 26/08/16, 19:39

Still for improvements, at the yellow arrow, there is the drive shaft of the wheels.
When the grass is very tall and more or less "sticky" (the general case with me : Mrgreen: ) it becomes entangled around the axis until it can block the movement of the mower by rubbing against the housing. :frown: To remove these herbs, it's so tight that it takes like 15 minutes to get everything fired :frown: A sheet will soon come to protect this area to dress the transmission across the width of the mower. : Mrgreen:

jaune.jpg
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 26/08/16, 20:03

It is true that the suction is energy consuming, but the deflecting blades also have the role to contribute to the good cut by straightening (?) The blades of grass and also participate in the ejection. A trial is necessary to judge, but a priori the absence of this device is not a saving economy assured.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Christophe

by Christophe » 03/09/16, 00:53

Flytox wrote:No this is the original blade. The "hockey stick" part is precisely the part which makes the "propeller" and causes the cut grass to blow.
As this blade is starting to tire and not far from 15 years and X sharpening, I want to try it out by building a very flat blade, precisely without the hockey stick, just to significantly reduce the power absorbed "aerodynamically" . Although the cut grass which stagnates even more under the rollover will perhaps eat as many Horses, to see : Mrgreen:

This may also be another problem if the grass starts to enter the belt system that advances the machine .... re to see. : Mrgreen:

Ok thank you, this "hockey stick" reminded me a little of the winglets we put on recent planes ...

We do not see well, she is bent up?

On mine (a Toro 53 cm) there is not (or more?) Protection of the drive belt (same design as yours): the grass returns to it nicely but that does not prevent to operate (the wear is probably more important but it has been for a few years ... used lawn mower)
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 03/09/16, 12:06

Yes exactly; I have already soldered or stuffed (the grass ends up using the angle of this part) ...
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 03/09/16, 23:30

Ahmed wrote:

Yes exactly; I have already soldered or stuffed (the grass ends up using the angle of this part) ...

The curvature upward allows to suck the air up and up and the grass up to better cut, as suggested by Ahmed.
For the "damage" under the hood, after a few years of service with the added sheet ... and some untimely passages on a few pieces of logs, bones, stones, molehills and other slabs ... it was necessary to take out the pliers several times to straighten said sheet : Mrgreen: l
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.

[Eugène Ionesco]

Christophe

by Christophe » 04/09/16, 13:58

All mowers have a suction system from bottom to top (blade with a propeller pitch) but I have rarely seen hockey sticks like yours ...

Anyway it is interesting to improve your mower with some tips and tricks!
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 04/09/16, 15:17

On the last mower I tinkered (that of a club), the blade was so worn that I wound two pieces cut in an old blade: they form two hockey sticks, but located at the front of the blade and are horizontal; that one, you have certainly never seen! 8)
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/09/16, 19:25

Effectively...

Ahmed tests reverse geometry / inverted arrow? https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aile_en_f ... ers%C3%A9e : Mrgreen:

There were noticeable results?
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 04/09/16, 20:15

No, no noticeable difference *, except that without this restoration the blade was scrapped. Let's say that I adopted this geometry because it was also easy to bring a larger piece, while providing a longer life expectancy ...

* It is to mow in a rich ground molehill very sandy soil, so very abrasive, so it is better to plan wide because the sharpness hardly hold ...
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 04/09/16, 21:59

Ahmed wrote:* It is to mow in a rich ground molehill very sandy soil, so very abrasive, so it is better to plan wide because the sharpness hardly hold ...

Where I worked before, there was a "free" workshop where everyone could tinker / adapt supports and other tools etc ... for the job ..... but in fact it was a factory in the factory where many people made their wigs. In the current "activities", there was the repair of the mower blades ... as long as to do in the noble steels of the steel store and not in the steel to shoe the donkeys as we usually find original on mowers. Well know that a tempered 15CDV6 blade returns 3 or 4 times more hours of mowing than an original blade. : Mrgreen:
0 x

[Eugène Ionesco]

Back to "Garden: landscaping, plants, garden, ponds and pools"